Where can I get this Exhaust Spring?

ozzietriker

Hi All,

Can someone please tell me where can I buy this exhuast spring? it is fitted to a Rotax 912ULS engine - It is not a Rotax original part however came with the new engine. They are starting to look a little sad and wanted to replace. I refuse to use the Rotax springs as they frequently snap.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

1908384671_exhaustspring.thumb.jpg.17ba03a7289c07e860060892de53cacf.jpg

Ozzietriker - Do an eBay search using "swivel end springs". You will find some go-kart springs are nearly identical. You can also get them in stainless, which may be a more durable option.

You may have to modify the curl on the hook on the eBay springs, to match yours.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Can someone please tell me where can I buy this exhuast spring? it is fitted to a Rotax 912ULS engine - It is not a Rotax original part however came with the new engine. They are starting to look a little sad and wanted to replace. I refuse to use the Rotax springs as they frequently snap.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

A second pair of eyes on your exhaust system may also produce a solution.

Often the engine is vibrating at one frequency and one direction, and the exhaust needs to be free enough to do the same, but people sometimes bolt the exhaust to the frame rigidly, or in a different plane. The pipe should sit in the cylinder socket and move with the socket.

Often various brackets or pipes fail if the system can't move with the engine.

• Like 2

When a spring stretches out it can get harmonics in it. Laying a strip of tarry looking stuff (someone will know the name) ALONG the spring will dampen the vibrations. Nev

• Like 2

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Try looking up motor bike exhaust springs. Look at the distance between the ends and also the wire thickness. I bought some as spares for my 912uls with a CKT exhaust. Then bought 4 spares from them as always good to have spares on board when on a trip.

• Like 1

Strange - I have been operating my 912 ULS for 10 years and some 600 + hrs - I have changed my unbroken exhaust springs once only because I thought they looked a little stretched. I have never had one break but do use safety wire in case of a failure and I fill the inner void with high temp silicon to prevent harmonic damage.

I use JBM springs. Over 600 hrs with no breaks. Postage is expensive, so buy 2 sets.

I agree that the standard Rotax are crap....... went through a few before I worked it out.

http://jbmindustries.com/SOCKET.html

I see Spruce also sell SS springs.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/gplssexhaustspring.php

• Like 1

What's strange about that? as long as the silicon doesn't go hard .Then it will make all the action be where it begins and ends. Nev

Strange that he is having a problem and I am not - inference -the cause is related to how the springs are attached rather than the springs themselves or some other factor. Just trying to be constructive.

Thanks skip. for answering I couldn't pick up a connection.

I wouldn't recommend stainless unless you are on a boat. Springs need to be spring steel Too soft and there's no tension maintained. The "swivel' is a luxury but does ensure there's no twisting effect when you are installing them. Nev

• Agree 1