Unfortunately a fatal crash near Maitland Airport 17/5/20

Over 1000km away and I don’t have the correct ‘papers’ to cross the border.......otherwise I would be there, flying!

Cleveland Bay train in Foxbats at Townsville and visit Donningtown and Ayr. There within Queensland and about 700 kms from you

• Like 1

I would think landing an airliner wouldn't have much in common with a lighty?

Thats what I thought, too. A C172 is included to illustrate some differences but the main principles apply.

The difference between "Landing" and "Crashing" is defined as an ability to use the plane again...

One thing I have found, or rather, not found in most POH's is those nuances that you are either taught (by a good instructor) or learn yourself, about particular airplanes. Flap pitch couples, opposite or into turn rudder rolling into a bank are a couple of examples I can thing of, off the top of my head. POH's are great for performance and limitations, but handling tricks and quirks, not so much.

All this talk of needing a good instructor to learn the foibles of different types increases my admiration for the women of the ATA in WWII, who flew everything from Halifaxes to Spitfires in a day's work, many with little more preparation than a quick reference manual.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transport_Auxiliary

Edited by Old Koreelah
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1

Women mostly have a better touch than men, they don't get ham-fisted or indulge in abuse of the controls.

When I was in the mining industry, we found the women dump truck drivers had a far better maintenance requirements record than the male drivers. The blokes were just too hard on the equipment.

They also handle repetitious and boring work better. Blokes are always up for a challenge, and it has to be done fast and furious.

• Agree 1

The creator of the app is a 20,000 hour plus pilot‘ now retired from DC-9, 737 all models and 777 so based on that, he must have a few clues from his Aviation lifetime.

He also makes money out of selling the app!

If it sounds to good to be true , it usually is!

Buy it, get back and tell us if you think it works.

Edited by Butch

He also makes money out of selling the app!

If it sounds to good to be true , it usually is!

Buy it, get back and tell us if you think it works.

Well, I bought it a couple of years ago before I started training. Had a quick look and put it aside as my Aviation knowledge was almost zero (much like it still is!!) I resurrected it a week ago and it made more sense, but I had quite a few questions in trying to work out how the same principles etc. between a 737 and a Cessna applied.

I sent him an email and got a very comprehensive reply including a teleconference offer.

Yesterday, we did the teleconference that lasted 3.5 hours:-). Screen by screen we went through sections of the app and he explained it all as we went along.

i call that exemplary support and I am happy he made money selling me the app because yesterday he blew any profit he had in it, a few times over!! He is very passionate about making sure people get value for money on his app.

Any more questions? I just have to phone or email him:-)

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

All this talk of needing a good instructor to learn the foibles of different types increases my admiration for the women of the ATA in WWII, who flew everything from Halifaxes to Spitfires in a day's work, many with little more preparation than a quick reference manual.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transport_Auxiliary

Fancy letting a girl fly an aircraft :oh yeah:

Women mostly have a better touch than men, they don't get ham-fisted or indulge in abuse of the controls.

When I was in the mining industry, we found the women dump truck drivers had a far better maintenance requirements record than the male drivers. The blokes were just too hard on the equipment.

They also handle repetitious and boring work better. Blokes are always up for a challenge, and it has to be done fast and furious.

That's why they make good pilots as well, they don't have the testosterone problems and gung-ho, ten foot tall and bullet proof attitude. Most blokes shouldn't fly before they are 30 years old :thumb up:

No idea how I made it through the first couple of years :puzzled:

• Like 3

Well, I bought it a couple of years ago before I started training. Had a quick look and put it aside as my Aviation knowledge was almost zero.

In reply 88 you said you just found the App and asked if anyone had used it. Now you are telling us how good it is and you have had it for two years.

Wasted my time making a coment !

In reply 88 you said you just found the App and asked if anyone had used it. Now you are telling us how good it is and you have had it for two years.

Wasted my time making a coment !

I replaced my iPad sometime ago and I started afresh and did not load it on this one, forgot I had it. Went looking On the Internet and discovered I had already bought it in the App Store so I loaded it. Sent the creator an email with some questions and he offered me a teleconference yesterday that lasted 3.5 hours, now I know more about it.

When I initially got it, it was when I did some glider training that I did not finish as the ground handling aspect was physically too hard for me (am 70 next year) Then, 12 months ago I found RAA and here I am......

Sorry, I misled you:-(

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

According to the ABC news last night the aircraft was on a test flight after maintenance and there were engine problems after 15 minutes of flight so it was attempting to return to the airfield. If it was still in phase 1 testing which I presume is the first 25 hours, the maintenance is likely to be adjustments/modifications to improve performance or even just idle speed etc. I know from personal experience that the first flight after maintenance is fraught with possible problems.

There is logic as to why it is improbable that there is life on other planets.

There is 6 pages of replies to this topic and I haven't read them all.

If it is the one I think it is they showed a picture of the plane and it was VH registered.

How does VH become ultralight?

I'm not demeaning the fact. Just curious if these two are the same or not.

The term gets blurry with the way people talk about it. An amateur built aircraft can be built under RAA or CASA rules and registered accordingly.

You are right there with the term 'blury' The whole idea of ultralights or whatever tag they get these days was to allow for in a nutshell cheap flying, recreational, the very core of this forum. The AUF where invented then CASA allowed self regulation of the sport by way of RA becoming the governing body. It's worked well but the 'concept' is starting to lose its origins especially if the weight increase ever becomes reality. Some of the current crop of machines these days are expensive, have everything that opens and shuts, not everyone with the original concept in mind can nor wants that. Personally I think they should leave the sector the way it is, 600kg, basic and affordable.

I find it quite interesting that there is so much criticism and finger pointing in this post (including my own) initiated by the howls of distain about homemade aircraft. If we all applied as much criticism on our own performance whilst building and flying, instances such as this would undoubtedly decrease. We are all human and complacency is our enemy. Let’s remember first and foremost that someone has lost their husband, dad or brother here and look inwardly first.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think it is a pity the term LSA or Light Sport Aircraft has been taken for a specific category because what originated as an "Ultralight" in the USA & here and called a Microlight in the UK, NZ & other countries does not provide a reasonable image of what most modern Recreational Aircraft are. I think the term Light Sport Aircraft (or perhaps Light Recreational Aircraft) far more accurately describes the vast majority of modern RA registered aircraft.

• Agree 1

Good point, Kevin. Names are ever-changing, often due to the development of negative perceptions about a term. "Ultralight" is one example. As a result, I prefer to call mine a sport aircraft. LSA would be an ideal term.

Think I'd like Mine to be an" Ultra Sport." Ha Ha. I think the Issue with this plane was that it was " homebuilt" (shock horror). and of wood. The Spruce Goose was a seaplane made of wood. and it didn't fly 25 hours and was not an ultra light., Nev

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There would have been a lot going on for the pilot but sadly without airspeed there is no hope. Perhaps training aircraft engine failure check lists should start with MAINTAIN BEST GLIDE SPEED and include it as every second item on the list. We all know airspeed is mandatory but all to often in stressful situations pilots fail to maintain it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1