Pixhawk autopilot

While I won't be the first to install an autopilot, this low cost system looks suitable to me. I reckon you could make a full-size plane version and fly your Jabiru using it. It is using open-source software so in time a small outfit could use it to produce an autopilot.

Personally, I would like a heading and altitude-hold system which was fail-safe and cheap. The fail-safe could be achieved simply by making the auto system work only on the trims for example . Maybe this would not be considered a legal autopilot?

Interesting idea for experimental aircraft. I have built 2 fixed wing models using the pixhawk autopilot. The software has tons of features some of which may or may not be useful for manned aircraft. But the 2 models I built will auto-takeoff, fly gps waypoints at altitude, and auto-land. I am sure the features you want could be adapted nicely!

Some A/P modes are not safe. Alt hold or V/s are not. Airspeed hold is. The other concern is servo disconnect or overpower and how much out of trim the plane is flying. With a lot of autopilots you disengage regularly and check the trim. Nev

Some A/P modes are not safe. Alt hold or V/s are not. Airspeed hold is. The other concern is servo disconnect or overpower and how much out of trim the plane is flying. With a lot of autopilots you disengage regularly and check the trim. Nev

I agree. A faulty servo operating a trim tab going full deflection and jamming would be a real concern. I'd install a proper A/P if you really felt the need to remove the fun in flying our little fun maxhines??

A lot of people seem to be installing them these days. Maybe it is that long trips over relatively featureless terrain having an AP will reduce stress levels a bit. I have only used AP once & that was in a club Archer 2 back in the early 90s. I read the manual & had a go on a fairly long trip but found it boring so never used it again. I find that if I get high and out of the relative turbulence I can just trim for S&L & look out the window leaving my hands free & just adjust for track/alt as required.

The trouble with that idea of " a proper autopilot " is the $500,000 for purchase and installation. Anyway, just what is improper about the setup I proposed? Besides being illegal on account of how nobody has paid the millions for certification....

What alternative would you have to offer for my budget of $300?

That's interesting Nev about altitude hold being unsafe. Do you mean that the airspeed could go over VNE if you flew through a thermal while the altutude hold was on? Would not the autopilot be configured to stop this happening?

What I'm suggesting is that heading should be set. while speed and altitude hold are set within some limits. The altitude hold should be a secondary thing. Can you do this with an autopilot?