Questions from someone who knows very little about RA

I found that on my bfr jaunt a few weeks ago I pushed the nose over instant when instructor cut power RA habit, then turned for field. Some how I find the power off landings unusually tidier than touch and go’s. Maybe because I subconsciously know I don’t have the go around to fix it. I hope if I ever need it for real that the same happens.?

• Like 1

@Roundsounds - I said get the nose over ASAP (for low mass types) - not ram it over - subtly different. @andy310r - at Royal Vic, their emergency checklist for PA28s when I was learning there was something alonng the CMF checklist... Very first item: Convert Excess Speed to Height. Over here it's trim for best glide, find a field then try anf find what you can to get it started.

When I fly, I realise - especially as I get older - that I want to eliminate as many things to worry about in the event of things going awry. So, I always have enough fuel in the tanlks for at least 50% longer than my trip (or leg if it requires a refill on the way) and while I am flying, I try (don't alkways do it) to identify a good landing field if the engine gives up the ghost. When I am out of glide distance of that, I find another (always ahead of the nose). They have to be close to easily identified landmarks so I can get back. I sometimes forget to update the landing field as I fly out of glide distance of the previous one. But the idea is that if the engine gives up the ghost, I already know the field and don't have to to the WOSSSS (Wind, Obstructions, Size, Shape, Surface, (S)civilisation) and using precious time to ensure everything goes right.

Something I'd like to share with my transition experience ... Beechcraft Skipper/C150/Piper Warrior to Drifter (RAAus). In the VH aircraft I was always taught that if you have an engine failure and you have sufficient airspeed, convert the airspeed to altitude until you reach best glide speed. Not so in a Drifter (or any low mass RA aircraft) ... upon engine failure point nose down to maintain safe airspeed. This was drummed into me during transition training HOWEVER when after many hours of the blah-blah-blah (point nose down) we were doing a touch and go at Lismore Airport when the instructor in the back seat of the Drifter cut the power to idle when I was 20 feet off the ground on climb-out... and what did I do, I pulled the stick back (from instinct of VH flying days)... the instructor freaked out screaming "do you want to kill us?" and forced the stick/nose down before we stalled. I have not made the same mistake since then.

I’m pretty sure that if you lose power on climb-out in a C172 you are supposed to lower the nose. Disclaimer: I have about 50 hrs.

I’m pretty sure that if you lose power on climb-out in a C172 you are supposed to lower the nose. Disclaimer: I have about 50 hrs.

It doesn't matter what you are flying if you lose power on a climb the very first first thing you do is lower the nose. You need to continue to fly without stalling, then trim for best glide & also look for a landing place. You can't see anything in front of you on the ground when climbing out unless it's a mountain.

It doesn't matter what you are flying if you lose power on a climb the very first first thing you do is lower the nose. You need to continue to fly without stalling, then trim for best glide & also look for a landing place. You can't see anything in front of you on the ground when climbing out unless it's a mountain.

Not necessarily. Depends on the airframe/performance, yes for yr average spam can but I climb out at 120kts, 50 kts above best glide I've got energy to gain another few feet, might be the difference in turning back and surviving.