RPC + PPL + 24 Category in Controlled airpsace

I have RPC and a 24 category (factory built) J160C and PPL but medical is lapsed ... am I permitted to land, and of course take-off, at aerodromes such as Camden (i.e non RPT ... don't have my ASIC anymore either)?

Legally no until you renew your medical. Practically though, who is checking?

It's true no one is checking....until there is an incident or accident of some kind and then the insurance company will look for any excuse not to make the payout.....
  • Agree 2

I have RPC and a 24 category (factory built) J160C and PPL but medical is lapsed ... am I permitted to land, and of course take-off, at aerodromes such as Camden (i.e non RPT ... don't have my ASIC anymore either)?

This is typical CASA hypocrisy. You’ve got gliders operated at Camden by pilots not holding a licence or medical over the township during and outside tower hours. RAAus aircraft of any certification type can operate when the tower is shut, but restricted when it’s active. So CASA is indicating it’s safe for pilot certificate holders to fly their non-certified aircraft without a medical when the tower is closed, but not when active?

• Agree 3

To clarify for Peter,

You can fly your plane on your RAAus RPC at Camden when the tower is not active, and when the tower is activated, you must also hold PPL/Medical.

As a PPL holder (only) - I can't operate your 24 registered plane.

As a PPL holder, you can't even operate your plane. You operate it via your RAAus RPC. 24 reg planes can only be flown by RAAus members.

Wait, what???????????????????

Everyone sufficiently confused yet?

As stated on another thread you cannot enter controlled airspace with a RPC & RA registered aircraft while the tower is operating but as soon as it closes down you are legally entitled to fly in the zone, land & takeoff where class C reverts to class G. It is just a dumb rule and to the uninitiated gives the impression that it is more dangerous to fly when the Tower is operating when in theory it should be the other way round. At 4:59 pm you must have a current PPL/RPL and medical. At 5:00.01pm you can fly a RA registerd aircraft with your RPC and self certified medical. I no longer maintain my PPL & Class2 medical but have passed through controlled airspace a number of times illegally but with the permission of the local controller.

This is typical CASA hypocrisy. You’ve got gliders operated at Camden by pilots not holding a licence or medical over the township during and outside tower hours. RAAus aircraft of any certification type can operate when the tower is shut, but restricted when it’s active. So CASA is indicating it’s safe for pilot certificate holders to fly their non-certified aircraft without a medical when the tower is closed, but not when active?

Think the tower is active during daylight hours so flying in when it’s CTAF would mean NVFR

As others have said an RPL/PPL + Medical but don't forget in the case of an RPL you'd need the Controlled Airspace and Controlled Aerodrome (if landing) endorsements. An RPL on it's own doesn't give you access to controlled airspace or aerodromes.

• Informative 1