E-Props ...who has first hand experience with these

eightyknots

On 10/09/2021 at 11:24 AM, facthunter said:

Maybe to the OFF topic section for your Humour. It's certainly got nothing to do with the thread topic. Nev

As far as I can tell, it is not possible to post to the off topic forum. Besides, I enjoy the off topic comments. 

On 16/09/2021 at 3:07 PM, Garfly said:

Savannahs of Sardinia  - some with floats and E-props:

It is great to hear the real-world experience of this Savannah owner. He said that he was so "satisfied" with the E-props that he decided not to change out the engine for a more powerful one.

Thanks for sharing.

And now for the E-Legs ?? 😉

Claimed to be something like half the weight and 4 times the strength of aluminium equivalent.

(vid in French - rough auto translation available in YT.)

• Informative 1

20 hours ago, Garfly said:

And now for the E-Legs ?? 😉

Claimed to be something like half the weight and 4 times the strength of aluminium equivalent.

(vid in French - rough auto translation available in YT.)

I couldn't understand him, was he talking metric

• Haha 2

The weight savings convince me. At the same efficiency, there is a big win for our type of plane with a 4kg weight saving.

If you also changed to a LiFe battery and the e-prop landing gear, you may be able to save 15kg total. Wow, that would transform many planes. Bugger it, I need to lose weight too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

If I understand the claims made in the video, these legs are four to five times tougher than aluminium ones. So, on the face of it, I guess they'd be way over-spec even for the new 600Kg version.

We'll have to wait and see, even whether they are offering Ranger/Nynja legs. 

In any case, another interesting development in the more strength for less weight carbon fibre stakes.

• Like 1

In the video the chap says that their first models are for the Super Guépard (another French design - see pic - very similar to the Skyranger) but that legs for others will follow. 

344623877_SuperGuepard.thumb.png.3ca49c63e9d0fa27e403d2f64ce881e8.png

Edited by Garfly

I have asked the question of Eprop and suggested some models and if they are going to make them..Skyranger/Ninja/jabiru/ Savannah ....will see what comes back

Will see what comes back as well as I have asked about any further info on the Jab prop

Busy week this week...3 props ordered and one of them is the CSU (Glorious) one

• Like 3

Eprop is such a great company to deal with...always get back to me almost any day of the week.

Ok they are very satisfied with the new Jabiru prop.

The issue is they just do not have enough space at the current factory to keep doing what they are doing. You may have seen some posts where they are currently building a huge new factory. They are pushed to the limits with orders and space

So the upshot of this is until they get the new factory up and running they wont be producing the new jab prop or any of the undercarriages because they just dont have the physical room to store all the molds and for the new machinery they have designed and built to make them all.

They should have this operation by "spring"  so for them thats early in the new year.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

It may seem strange to someone, but for a spring, it is not weight and strength that are important, but the ability to bend and the ability to absorb energy. Therefore, I do not understand the excessive strength of the spring. It is important for me to know first of all the course of the spring. We produce our own fiberglass springs for our aircraft. Why fiberglass? Because it has a lower elastic modulus, it is more flexible. The operating stroke of the spring is 200+ / -20 mm. This allows you to significantly reduce the overload during landing.

• Like 2

If you watch the video, the E-Prop man does not only (or mainly) use the word 'strength'.  That was my own rough (non-technical) short-hand.

Here is the translation provided in the YouTube video description:

"  E-PROPS works daily to propose solutions for a lighter and more efficient aviation. In this fight against useless masses, here is the new Composite Landing Gears for ultralight aircraft. The landing gear (the two composite legs) weighs 2 kg. Mass saving compared to metallic landing gear = 5.4 kg. The E-PROPS composite landing gear legs offer : - 4 times more max. deformation - 6 times more energy max. absorbed than the existing landing gear legs. E-PROPS composite landings gears : weight saving, mechanical strength gain, better damping. Info here :

https://aircraft.e-props.fr/trains.php   "

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

A spring cannot absorb energy or am I missing something.  

I don't think anyone's saying that Thruster.  It's just that I (mis)used words like 'strength' and 'tougher' to describe what the video was claiming for the new legs when, to be precise, 'max. deformation' and 'energy absorbed' are, as meglin points out, more relevant measures (and what's actually claimed in the vid.)

(Or maybe I'm missing something.   ;- )

Edited by Garfly

The "DAMPING" aspect needs to be explained. The effect might be something to do with the natural harmonics  of lighter material. Damping needs friction and that needs elements moving against  each other. It takes force to deform a spring but it returns it when  that force reduces.  That's why undamped legs can make you bounce so well. A properly damped undercarriage is far easier to land with as it removes some of the energy Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1