E-Props ...who has first hand experience with these

eightyknots

Hello. I have had an e prop on a Nynja. The factory had 3 options climbing, in between, and cruise option. I choose the middle way. The prop was quieter, and giving a a greater torque. I didn't get much in cruising speed. It needed a lot of right rudder at take off. Unfortunately a friend crashed my plane on a go around after only 50 hours. He had used that plane before a few times and should have reacted with enough right foot but he clipped a tree on the go around, destroyed the plane but survived. That was the end of the Nynja and the e prop. Of course he blamed the prop ;-)

Accident-5YCFR-2.thumb.jpg.4d70d1745fa14825f7def27e8bd71567.jpg

A friend of mine who run a flight school in Zanzibar recommended the prop, he has been using them for years and swear by them, all on Rans aircrafts. The has just re done an engine at 2000 hrs, the engine was in excellent condition. He puts that on the lightness of the prop. If you wish. I can give you his email. Oh by the way, I got the savannah S after the pay off from the insurance but it came with a Duc Flash, so far so good, but difficult to get more than 5200 at take off on my 5600 ft alt home strip. If you ever put an e prop please tell us how it goes.

Thanks for the report Michel

I am expecting the first trial prop to be sent later this week. I cant believe how much interest there has been on them. They are literally unheard of here certainly in my circles but apparently not in the Microlight guys they certainly know them and a few have them. I can see a reasonable size order going over I think if they pan out ok. Even if there isnt a reasonable performance increase just the vibration and noise factor could make it popular

Hi all,

I first used a Eprops 3 years ago..on a Savannah .

5600 on takeoff 5500 on climb 5600 full power level flight

VERY smooth and low inertia at engine stop .

After, I ordered mine for my CT ,but first used it on a CH601 .

More efficient than the Warp Drive previously installed, a bit better than the Kiev , .

Ii recommended on our 'CT forum' and you can read all the comments here

http://ctflier.com/topic/4988-new-propeller-for-ct/?tab=comments#comment-73293

read my 'report' about the test results on the amphib Kitfox

much more efficient than the Whirlwind.

alos, sold one to a customer for his SkyCruiser....replacing his Sensennich...

so, far,, everybody is happy, and nobody used the ''6 months satisfied or return ''

my 2 cents

Do you have any comparison on the CH601?

I swapped from a three blade Warp Drive to a two blade Sensenich and it was a big improvement on a CH601HD.

When we have tried it on Danny's and mine and then Rogers....he doesnt have the extension either I will get it t you so you can have a play and see what its like

Danny spent all day yesterday chasing his vibrations.. he used new Bolly blades also a differt prop extension and he did a static balance and then used my dynavibe to get it the best he could..he says its a lot better..certainly best its ever been but still vibration there so it will be a good comparison with this new prop

• Agree 1

When we have tried it on Danny's and mine and then Rogers....he doesnt have the extension either I will get it t you so you can have a play and see what its like

Danny spent all day yesterday chasing his vibrations.. he used new Bolly blades also a differt prop extension and he did a static balance and then used my dynavibe to get it the best he could..he says its a lot better..certainly best its ever been but still vibration there so it will be a good comparison with this new prop

Sounds like he needs a gas turbine. Is his vibration worse than anyone else's?

certainly before it was but now probably about the same as most of us with such a long heavy extension. I think he got the vibration down to 0.07 on the balancer was the best he could do. Have a new bracket now too made out of high tensile alu and pickups are redone. The accelerometer is now directly behind the optical pickup dead at 12 o'clock so the backet should be more solid and we get better readings

certainly before it was but now probably about the same as most of us with such a long heavy extension. I think he got the vibration down to 0.07 on the balancer was the best he could do. Have a new bracket now too made out of high tensile alu and pickups are redone. The accelerometer is now directly behind the optical pickup dead at 12 o'clock so the backet should be more solid and we get better readings

It's not airframe related is it? I had some funny sounds coming from the back originally and it was sheer arse that I found it was thin sheetmetal vibrating in turbulence off the canopy at certain AoAs. Some VGs on the canopy sorted that.

The extension is supplied in the kit for the savannah Nev...just so happens we have a few between us. But that could be the biggest source of vibration due to its size and weight. Danny weighed the Sav extension with the bolly hub and blades and spinner I think it was close to 6.5 or 7kg..the Eprop version with their all carbon extension and blades and spinner is less than 2.5kg

• Informative 1

I do not think there is a "draggier" aircraft than a SeaRey - with all the bits and pieces hanging off it - its like flying a Landrover with a full roofrack. The e-prop that I have now has certainly made a difference as I stated. I am not trying to sell the e-prop to anyone - just stating my experience with having flown it for about 7 months. The three main differences that I noticed is increased cruise speed at less revs - Some might say this is due to the pitch setting - but I am also getting a less takeoff distance and climb rate. Second it is very quite - to such an extent that people actually have commented about it - this could be because I have the four blade offset prop which has a different resonance in the pusher configuration. The notable lack of vibration is not due to any balancing that I did to it, but could also be a contributor to how quiet it is. I consider the biggest plus for a SeaRey, which are notorious for there aft CoG sensitivity would be the weight saving of almost 5 Kg back of the CoG. Like I say -not trying to sell it to anyone but if some one wanted to take it off me I would fight them off with a stick....

• Like 7

UPS says next thursday delivery so weather permitting should have some "real" numbers on the weekend. Will probably do a couple of videos as well when assembly and testing ..will post on youtube

Please send the links when you do.

Well Hank you will be please to know the Eprop arrived this afternoon. The blades are certainly not what we are used to seeing at all. The spacer is pretty cool. You will need to remove the bushes from the drive plate of the engine by the look of it too

Will post some pics later tonight. Will test it this weekend.

Some pics

[ATTACH type=full" alt="IMG_8688.jpg]54228[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="61450106097__9C9F3794-66BD-452A-8B46-4CAFA7C2B001.jpg]54231[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="IMG_8689.jpg]54232[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="61450104191__7144A814-CBE1-40D1-BFCF-41014D551CEA.jpg]54234[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="IMG_8687.jpg]54235[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="IMG_8692.jpg]54236[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="IMG_8686.jpg]54230[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="IMG_8693.jpg]54233[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="IMG_8690.jpg]54229[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="IMG_8691.jpg]54227[/ATTACH]

☆ Definitely very different!!

I hope it works well on the Savannah.