Benefits of staying a member of RAA?

NT5224

Please forgive the provocatively titled post.

Im not firing a broadside at anybody or intentionally poking the hornets nest. I've just renewed my RAA membership, principally because I want to receive the new Sport Pilot magazine. These days my aircraft is VH registered, so Im flying under the CASA system. Other than the possibility of jumping in a Jab or Foxbat and going for a spin, are there any other benefits of maintaining RAA financial membership (flying member) when I fly a VH registered aircraft? For example, does my RAA members liability insurance cover me in a VH registered aircraft?

Anything else Im not thinking of? The privilege of voting in elections and shaping the course of the organisation? (Gotta chuckle at that one, my conscientious and considered voting over the last decade has been spectacularly unsuccessful in steering the organisation the way I believe to be in the best interest of members!)

Cheers

Alan

Off the top of my head insurance is the only thing I can think of but no idea if it covers you in a VH aircraft. I'd just ring or Email them for an answer. If the answer is No then that makes Sportpilot $62.50 a copy. There used to be the option to subscribe to Sportpilot separately but as it is now included with subscription that is probably not an option any more

" There used to be the option to subscribe to Sportpilot separately but as it is now included with subscription that is probably not an option any more "

I am sure i read you ONLY get the FIRST COPY free

• Winner 1

After the tragic death of the editor Mark Smith coupled with dwindling subscriptions the plug was pulled on Sportpilot as a monthly magazine. Submissions were sought and the eventual decision was to reduce publications to 4 issues per year provided free & posted to financial members. The first issue will be published in August 2020.

I have been flying VH again for about six years but have maintained my RAA membership. I guess it is to support the organisation, I joined in 1992, but also to allow me the chance to fly RAA if someone offers it and a fallback if medical conditions demand. Of course I could rejoin then, but it seems a bit exploitative to view it that way.

• Like 3

...but also to allow me the chance to fly RAA if someone offers it and a fallback if medical conditions demand.
With the new Basic Class 2 you probably wouldn't even need RAA as a backup. The only medical difference between the two really is RAAus is essentially a self-declaration after asking yourself "Are you medically fit to drive anything?" whereas the Basic Class 2 is your GP assessing you against the AustRoads Commercial licence standards, which aren't that hard to meet, realistically...And you need to pay CAsA $10 for the privilege...

FWIW, my opinion is if you can't meet the Austroads standards, you should be asking yourself if you are really fit to fly at all.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

You must h

Do you mean that a real VH pilot can't legally fly an RAAus registered plane?

You must hold a RAA Pilot Cert to fly an RAA Reg plane whether or not you hold a CASA Licence as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

the Basic Class 2 is your GP assessing you against the AustRoads Commercial licence standards, which aren't that hard to meet, realistically...And you need to pay CAsA $10 for the privilege...

FWIW, my opinion is if you can't meet the Austroads standards, you should be asking yourself if you are really fit to fly at all.

The Basic Class 2 requires you to unconditionally meet the commercial license standards, which is not as straightforward as you describe. It is strict enough that CASA had to specifically exempt glasses and hearing aids, and strict enough that if you do not meet the standard for a Basic Class 2 you might still be able to get a normal Class 2.

The Basic Class 2 has 2 advantages:

• It is cheaper and easier to get
  • You might be able to find a doctor who will fudge the standards, and CASA will look the other way because all the responsibility falls on the doctor.

You must h

You must hold a RAA Pilot Cert to fly an RAA Reg plane whether or not you hold a CASA Licence as well.

Correct.

I'd been flying 'real' planes for near 40 years but when it came time to help a friend out to fly his RA machine I had to jump thru the hoops (and pay for it) just so I could fly his, crazy but we do live in a over regulated country!

Edited by Flightrite
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Being a financial member of the RAA is a legal requirement in order to fly an RAA registered aircraft.

From the RAA Ops Manual Version 7.1....PILOT IN COMMAND (GROUP A and B)

1. A person intending to act as pilot in command of a Group A or B recreational aeroplane operated under the provisions of this manual and associated legislation must:

a. be a financial member of RAAus;

b. be the holder of a valid Student or Converting Pilot Certificate or Pilot Certificate, in the appropriate aeroplane Group, issued or recognised by RAAus

Franco.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Cant think of too many benifits, other than you need it to fly lsa. Its gob smacking the lack of support in areas where the membership need advocacy .

Eg finding and calling out companies that price gouge on aircraft and engine spare parts .

As the peak body they can have influence but they do not use it to assist those that support them!

• Like 1

I really dislike the idea that you can be unilaterally declared to be a user and therefore taxed to pay for things you don't even use. It's like running electricity past your house and then charging you even if you don't connect.

This is the thing that worries me about access to controlled airspace. Will we all then be declared " users" and charged? I would prefer to see us arguing for less controlled airspace and non-controlled corridors for our use. All very safe if done properly and restricted to daylight vfr.

• Like 3

I really dislike the idea that you can be unilaterally declared to be a user and therefore taxed to pay for things you don't even use. It's like running electricity past your house and then charging you even if you don't connect.

This is the thing that worries me about access to controlled airspace. Will we all then be declared " users" and charged? I would prefer to see us arguing for less controlled airspace and non-controlled corridors for our use. All very safe if done properly and restricted to daylight vfr.

Welcome to Australia where the public purse strings have been pulled tight in many areas of providing a service especially aviation but there's always money for the corrupt pollies & their perks as well as hand outs to numerous ludicrous ideas! Seeing as GA is a luxury for us 'fat Cats' in the eyes of the public we are at the bottom of the supply service barrel!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

@coljones, post #22 reflects my thoughts in post #18. "None shall pass except by me"

I'm not saying there is no benefit in paying fees to RA-Aus or paying TNC to an organisation that clearly makes a profit from leaded petrol and kerosine excise. I'm saying there is no legal alternative.

Registration and pilot certificate are the only reason to be in the RAA/GA wannabe organisation their is no other reason for being a member and I would love to find an alternative yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2