Benefits of staying a member of RAA?

NT5224

I am no longer a "member" and I use the word "member" loosely as these days you are simply a customer that pays them money as a company...they are purely an administration just like CASA is and the RAAus board along with the current CEO made sure of that. They stole our "community" of like minded recreational enthusiasts in a hostile takeover fashion to create a business. If you no longer fly an RAAus aircraft it is not worth paying a company for administrative services that you don't use and very silly to give a corporate money to support their company. Do you go up to your local Cafe and give them $200 just so they can stay a cafe in case one day you may feel like a coffee?

I no longer fly as I have self grounded myself due to vision issues so why pay a business, different if they were an Association of members of like minded recreational aviation enthusiasts.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

I think the alternative organisation is not going to happen. Talking to the people involved last year one of them was muttering about taking CASA to court. That would not solve anything as CASA has very deep pockets. One of those involved now has a position in SAAA and the whole scene is extremely quiet.

Having a choice is making a better company out of a monopoly.

Like powered-parachute training, one Company says you have to do a hang glider training course, even if you never use it.

The bigger and more powerful the monopoly, the worse it is, example would be the TAXman, your guilty unless You prove your inocence.

spacesailor

• Like 1

With the new Basic Class 2 you probably wouldn't even need RAA as a backup. The only medical difference between the two really is RAAus is essentially a self-declaration after asking yourself "Are you medically fit to drive anything?" whereas the Basic Class 2 is your GP assessing you against the AustRoads Commercial licence standards, which aren't that hard to meet, realistically...And you need to pay CAsA $10 for the privilege...

FWIW, my opinion is if you can't meet the Austroads standards, you should be asking yourself if you are really fit to fly at all.

The Basic Class 2 requires you to unconditionally meet the commercial license standards, which is not as straightforward as you describe. It is strict enough that CASA had to specifically exempt glasses and hearing aids, and strict enough that if you do not meet the standard for a Basic Class 2 you might still be able to get a normal Class 2.

The Basic Class 2 has 2 advantages:

• It is cheaper and easier to get
  • You might be able to find a doctor who will fudge the standards, and CASA will look the other way because all the responsibility falls on the doctor.

Not any more!

CASA have started to send out the letters revoking class 2 basics!

Mate of mine here in Cairns, just got the letter from CASA a fortnight ago basically saying “We have reviewed your class 2 basic medical and you aren’t suitable for a Basic Class 2. If you want to dispute it you have 14 days to respond”. he had a class 2 till a year or so ago. I think he He has a commercial drivers licence. Certainly is fit and well now, works heavy manual work but had a medical condition in the way distant past that required CASA approvals about. Despite no issues now the ancient history has stripped the basic class 2 off him.

Implication in the letter is that many people who shouldn’t have got medicals are using the

Class 2 as a loophole but they (CASA) are working through them to weed out people.

Just adding my two cents worth.......

I'm not renewing my my RAA membership.

For me, the biggest downside is abandoning all the training that has gone into my certificate. And the pain of knowing that I'll never fly again.

I can't afford to keep paying RAA just in case I get a chance to go flying one day.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

You can take out a "Non-Flying" membership - about $100 which includes the magazine, voting rights etc. There's also a "subscription only" membership. It will be on the RAA site. If your health (or whatever improves) you can still return to flying with a BFR and rejoining with a pilot certificate. Hope you do!

• Like 1

If Nomad can't afford the membership I cannot see how he can afford to fly at all. The membership would equate to one hours flying I would guess, so at best he could afford one hour a year if RAAus fees were zero. Sad but that is what happens if you don't have money. Personally I afford the money to fly and forgo coffees and meals out.

• Like 2

. I can't see THAT as the nub of the issue. Nomad is saying the bang for the buck, is not IN his present situation, where he may not get the opportunity to fly. The $100 dollar option may be suitable if he wants to keep in touch and the Mag is OK. If he's OK the full membership and a Flight review is all that's needed. The way CASA have managed flight medicals is disappointing considering trends in most other CIVILISED Countries.. People with well managed conditions often reach quite old age. Better than those who've NEVER been to a doctor in my life types in a lot of instances. Nev

• Like 1

I haven't suggested that I have a medical condition.

I simply cannot justify spending money on memberhip 'just to keep the door open' to flying.

At present, I'm not located anywhere near a suitable flying field that has suitable aircraft and an instructor. Also, I can't afford to fly and pay for accommodation that much now. So, in my case, RAA has ceased to be the 'Affordable flying' it once was.

As far as I'm concerned, I would have to go flying at least once a week in order to maintain competency. Anything less would allow my skills to slide, and that would not be safe. So, it seems that I may as well let my membership go.

Off topic I know but true... I was working with these brickies. I was installing a vacuum system while they were doing the bricks. Most of them used the f word all the time . One smoko they were discussing a mate who was " too f###ing old to do a days f###ing work". I told them jokingly that they better not get old themselves cos you get down to once a night.

Well this shocked them into silence. Then the next day one of them told me that viagara might help with my problem.

I dunno to this day if they were pulling my leg or dead serious.