Two survive RAAus registered plane crash in Gippsland 13/06/2020

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut and paste from 9 news... Teen pilot tells of moments before crash landing into trees

A teenage pilot has described the moment he and his grandfather almost lost their lives in a light plane crash in eastern Victoria.

Andrew Ottrey, 17, and 74-year-old Ken Bathurst were flying in South Gippsland yesterday when the aircraft's engine began to fail while the teenager was at the controls.

"The engine lost a bit of power and we saw coolant dripping down to the floor," Mr Ottrey told 9News

"Smoke started to fill the cabin soon after."

Within moments, the pair resorted to searching for somewhere to emergency land the plane, aiming for a paddock after radioing Yarram Airport to say they were experiencing difficulties.

Mr Ottrey was forced to crash land the plane but came short of the paddock, with the aircraft coming to a stop while dangling in trees metres from the ground.

Mr Bathurst is tonight still recovering in hospital from injuries he suffered getting out of the plane.

"He'd actually released his harness (and) fell about nine metres out of the plane to the ground," Mr Ottrey said.

The teenager was released from hospital today and has said he is still shaken by the incident, but otherwise okay.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Didn't the pilot say there was coolant dripping in the cockpit? Seems funny to have any coolant lines or equipment in the cockpit.

If you look at the images of the aircraft whoever built it located the radiator under the fuselage and a long way aft. It's the big draggy looking box under the fuselage.

Zenith often have he radiator underneath, but most I've seen are just aft of the firewall. I would guess that they also chose to run the coolant pipes through the cockpit.

I could have done the same for a tidier external look, but didn't want coolant pipes in the cockpit.

I have seen a few light aircraft with coolant lines running through the cockpit, I don't really like the idea.

"He'd actually released his harness (and) fell about nine metres out of the plane to the ground," Mr Ottrey said.

This is a common spatial disorientation thing (human factors) and kills a lot of people in otherwise survivable accidents in all sorts of vehicles.

Even in an upside down car when the buckle releases the body has enough momentum to break your neck.

When you're upside down, gravity works against your normal interface with controls; I've been on my back where a tractor wound up to 90 degrees, nose in the air. I couldn't get enough pressure on the clutch pedal, couldn't reach the throttle, and was luck enough to be able to lunge for and hang off the fuel cutout.

Better to build into your subconscious over and over again Harness > THINK > release.

I've had coolant coming back over of the cowl and windshield. You don't need lines inside the cabin to get coolant (and the smell) inside.). With both air cooled and liquid you can still get oil on the screen...

There was an older pupil (60), learning in a Tiger at Newcastle ended up inverted on the ground who only sustained injury from releasing the seat belt . Dropping even a short distance without any arm or leg to break the force is potentially quite harmful. Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Agree 1

mein Gott is there no end to the ridiculous garbage that is published by the "media" ??? the following are from the channel 9 reports - let me know if you can make any sense of these quotes from the "reporter", taking into account photos/video/pilot statements:

"the aircraft was left dangling upside down in the trees"

"the aircraft crashed into trees before hitting the ground"

"the plane is completely upside down"

it's a terrible shame the passenger was seriously injured from the fall to the ground after releasing his harness - perhaps the smoke in the cockpit convinced him a fire was a distinct possibility. the other question must be with the young pilots' choice of landing options - with what looks like reasonable options for a relatively 'safe' outlanding, focussing on getting back to the airfield may not have been the best option under the circumstances (photos show the aircraft crash site very close to the airfield). my instructor never ceased to check on my 'engine out' responses, constantly goading me to 'stretch the glide'. having said that, expecting a low hour pilot to make perfect decisions in a very stressful situation is probably asking a little too much. so glad they both got out of it with their lives, hope the passenger has a quick recovery.

as for the pilot - get back on the horse asap m8 and put this behind you, and learn from any misteaks you may have made.

BP

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Best news report of a light aircraft accident I have EVER seen. Factual and reasonably unsensationalistic.

mein Gott is there no end to the ridiculous garbage that is published by the "media" ??? the following are from the channel 9 reports - let me know if you can make any sense of these quotes from the "reporter", taking into account photos/video/pilot statements:

"the aircraft was left dangling upside down in the trees"

"the aircraft crashed into trees before hitting the ground"

"the plane is completely upside down"

it's a terrible shame the passenger was seriously injured from the fall to the ground after releasing his harness - perhaps the smoke in the cockpit convinced him a fire was a distinct possibility. the other question must be with the young pilots' choice of landing options - with what looks like reasonable options for a relatively 'safe' outlanding, focussing on getting back to the airfield may not have been the best option under the circumstances (photos show the aircraft crash site very close to the airfield). my instructor never ceased to check on my 'engine out' responses, constantly goading me to 'stretch the glide'. having said that, expecting a low hour pilot to make perfect decisions in a very stressful situation is probably asking a little too much. so glad they both got out of it with their lives, hope the passenger has a quick recovery.

as for the pilot - get back on the horse asap m8 and put this behind you, and learn from any misteaks you may have made.

BP

Actually, the media did a pretty good job for once, perhaps upside down isn’t accurate, but I think we can all see that, and the aircraft did hit trees before hitting the ground, the aircraft has hit trees and has yet to hit the ground , so that means it hit trees before hitting the ground. The passenger is also a qualified pilot, not just a passenger, and finally, they were not trying to land at Yarram, they were trying to land in the open field just beyond the trees. The pilot’s only crime was to misjudge the aircraft’s gliding ability with a dead engine... and who really knows how well their aircraft will glide with a stopped prop? I know I wouldn’t. Stretching the glide leads to stall spin loss of control at low level. The best thing the pilot did was NOT try to stretch the glide. A controlled impact with trees is much better than a stall spin impact with the ground. Finally, we do not know what altitude they were at when the engine failed, we do not know the wind direction, the weather or any number of details that may have led the crew to believe that the paddock they were aiming for was their best choice. So please don’t judge what you think you know, just hope that the next light aircraft accident that hits the media results in a similar successful outcome. The aeroplane can be replaced, the lives can not.

Edited by Karren
  • Like 3

We gotta remember the grubby media are not known for their accuracy (especially in regards to aviation matters) they are reporting from the general public perspective using sensationalism as a tool to increase the impact of the story!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Don’t think a 19 rego can be a RV and a two seater
You certainly can. I had an RV-9A on the RAAus register for several years with two seats. 445Kg BEW so a 155Kg payload. I only flew with two adults once, and she was very slightly built but I was still legal. There's another, lighter, RV-9A up at Watts Bridge, also on RAAus' register, though mine has now gone to VH-.

You certainly can. I had an RV-9A on the RAAus register for several years with two seats. 445Kg BEW so a 155Kg payload. I only flew with two adults once, and she was very slightly built but I was still legal. There's another, lighter, RV-9A up at Watts Bridge, also on RAAus' register, though mine has now gone to VH-.

I dnt know how you did that, 2 up wth some fuel? I can only assume you where both 60 kgs each and you had about 1 hours fuel onboard, scary!

Don't know how that RA RV7 flew in to Willy Creek 2 up and bags for a few days!

We all have our own theories early in the piece as to the cause which is only natural. The main thing is this is hopefully survivable by both POB.

In the near future hopefully, the young pilot may be able to post here about his unfortunate experience, so others may learn something from it.

It is nothing for him to be ashamed of, as i'm sure he did the best within his power and knowledge at the time under the circumstances he was faced with, even if the result didn't have the outcome that he had hoped for.

Get back in the air again young fellah, asap.

• Like 5

For a 17 yr old to do what he did, he deserves plenty of praise. He would be seriously lacking in a lot of flying experience, and this outcome is pretty good for a smoke-filled cabin event, with coolant pouring in on the floor as well!

• Like 2

I dnt know how you did that, 2 up wth some fuel? I can only assume you where both 60 kgs each and you had about 1 hours fuel onboard, scary!
With careful planning, a CAVU day and attention to detail. Me at 75Kg, Coey at 57Kg, a 5Kg wing pod and fuel for a 18Nm flight out at 100Kts a couple of orbits and 18Nm flight back with a 30 minute fixed reserve. Flight fuel was planned at 11L, with a 9L reserve. Departed with 24L and landed with about 12L in the right tank. The task was to scatter a (pilot) mate's ashes from the air, and fortunately his wife had many hours airborne with him, so she understood the planning and could ignore the "LEFT LEVEL LOW" and flashing "0" warnings on the EFIS.

Don't know how that RA RV7 flew in to Willy Creek 2 up and bags for a few days!
That RV-7 reportedly caused a lot of issues...A two-seat RV can be had in RAAus, but it is a niche machine, as I've said here previously. It suited my mission at the time (ME + not-quite-full tanks or Me+Mini-Me+2hrs fuel). I've gained a bit of weight and the kids are growing, so 600Kg is no longer sufficient, so to VH- she went. If it suits your mission, RAAus is fine. But you do need to be conscious of your weight to stay legal. Some people don't...
  • Like 1

With careful planning, a CAVU day and attention to detail. Me at 75Kg, Coey at 57Kg, a 5Kg wing pod and fuel for a 18Nm flight out at 100Kts a couple of orbits and 18Nm flight back with a 30 minute fixed reserve. Flight fuel was planned at 11L, with a 9L reserve. Departed with 24L and landed with about 12L in the right tank. The task was to scatter a (pilot) mate's ashes from the air, and fortunately his wife had many hours airborne with him, so she understood the planning and could ignore the "LEFT LEVEL LOW" and flashing "0" warnings on the EFIS.

That RV-7 reportedly caused a lot of issues...A two-seat RV can be had in RAAus, but it is a niche machine, as I've said here previously. It suited my mission at the time (ME + not-quite-full tanks or Me+Mini-Me+2hrs fuel). I've gained a bit of weight and the kids are growing, so 600Kg is no longer sufficient, so to VH- she went. If it suits your mission, RAAus is fine. But you do need to be conscious of your weight to stay legal. Some people don't...

Wow that's cutting it fine, I'd never fly under those conditions/numbers, one change in your plans and it's all over! like I said scary!

That 7 sure did create some talk up there over the couple of days it was there!

Best news report of a light aircraft accident I have EVER seen. Factual and reasonably unsensationalistic.

Actually, the media did a pretty good job for once, perhaps upside down isn’t accurate, but I think we can all see that, and the aircraft did hit trees before hitting the ground, the aircraft has hit trees and has yet to hit the ground , so that means it hit trees before hitting the ground. The passenger is also a qualified pilot, not just a passenger, and finally, they were not trying to land at Yarram, they were trying to land in the open field just beyond the trees. The pilot’s only crime was to misjudge the aircraft’s gliding ability with a dead engine... and who really knows how well their aircraft will glide with a stopped prop? I know I wouldn’t. Stretching the glide leads to stall spin loss of control at low level. The best thing the pilot did was NOT try to stretch the glide. A controlled impact with trees is much better than a stall spin impact with the ground. Finally, we do not know what altitude they were at when the engine failed, we do not know the wind direction, the weather or any number of details that may have led the crew to believe that the paddock they were aiming for was their best choice. So please don’t judge what you think you know, just hope that the next light aircraft accident that hits the media results in a similar successful outcome. The aeroplane can be replaced, the lives can not.

FACTUAL?????? and is unsensationalisticismy a word? sorry did I spell that wrong? the media did a pretty good job for once? you've lost me m8, we live on different planets.

as for judging what I think I know, all I have done is to take into account the information presented and make some comments on that information - something that most members of this fine forum do on a regular basis, until we have ALL the correct information - and then we can say "aha, I was wrong, but from prior information given it was a fair assumption to suggest what might have happened"

I'm looking forward to more accurate facts on the incident

BP

• Like 2

Another case of "Survived the crash - injured by the rescue". :faint:

Been there, done that.

Safely landed a hanglider in a tree short of the planned paddock.

Fell out of the tree and broke my wrist. :ah oh:

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The grandfather was interviewed on 7 News tonight, looking at the wreckage of the plane. He said it took him 8 years to build, and eight seconds to destroy, but he thanks his grandson for saving him.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1