Are Brumby's still offered with Lycoming engines? If not, why?

As it says in the thread title, 'are Brumby's still offered with Lycoming engines? If not why?'

I believe Brumbys were originally offered with a choice of Lycoming or Rotax. An all metal Brumby with a Lycoming sounds like a pretty serious combination to me . They have good interior space, and are rugged like a 152.

Does any body on here have a Brumby with the Lycoming motor? If so, can you tell us how you find it?

Cheers

Alan

I guess you find it like any other A/C of its yours you should know where it is anyway??? I have a friend with the Rotax Brumby, it's been a lemon from day one!

• Like 1

As it says in the thread title, 'are Brumby's still offered with Lycoming engines? If not why?

NO. Lots of problems fitting them as, amongst other mods, new exhausts needed. Also, the 0-233 version had a problem ignition system which resulted in a lot of grief. Brumby have settled on the 912ULS for the time being. You can get the 912iS version with better fuel economy, but with PULP falling back towards $1.00-1.20/L, paying another $8k isn't sensible.

I flew both versions back in 2013/14 and although the Lycoming was a bit faster, it ran 'rougher' than the Rotax, and was noisier inside.

I guess you find it like any other A/C of its yours you should know where it is anyway??? I have a friend with the Rotax Brumby, it's been a lemon from day one!

Care to share? Apart from the early enthusiasm for promoting the Brumby as a 110KTAS touring aircraft, it fits into the training market very well. 110 is super optimistic btw - 100KTAS at 75% and 5000ft is closer, but we flight plan students at 90KTAS so they can easily do the maths mentally. I've flown mine 900TT without problems - and that's in a flying school. The R610 high wing model isn't a speedy tourer - it really fits into the market as a very quiet, no vices, spacious/comfortable pilot trainer.

happy days,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

The high-wing brumby does not have great payload even with a Rotax, IIRC. There is no way that I would get a Lyco when I could get a Rotax. Disclaimer: low hrs pilot. Why would you prefer a Lyco?