Learning key words in class D

So if you can't see or identify the Cessna positively, the pilot would inform you? I certainly would. Nev

I forgot to add in the last post, if you were instructed to follow the Cessna and you don't have them in sight, that's when you tell us.

"ABC, you are number three, follow the Cessna on downwind"

"Looking for traffic, ABC"

Have a look for the Cessna, when you still can't see them:

"Traffic not yet sighted, ABC"

At this point you can expect a new instruction or an update on the position of the Cessna

• Like 1

In the UK, it's slightly different (we are eccentric after all).

We are required to read back both clearances and instructions - well - some instructions... The example above would not normally be read back - it would be Wilco (will comply) to signal it is received, understood and will be followed. If there was a clear to land (for for and aerodrome flight information office, "land at your discretion" - which is nether a clearance nor an instruction), then you would read back...

Because CAP13 is ambiguous as to when to use wilco (it says something like for short, simple instructions, wilco is acceptable), I read back all clearances and instructions... If wilco is only for short, simple instructions, it doesn't save that much time and it confirms to the ATSU (air traffic services unit) that I have understood what they have said.

I agree with that.. Radio phraeology here is crazy and I cringe when flying in Europe to hear British pilots prattle off the requirements under UK Radiotelehpony. But, as the usage of wilco is vague and doesn't save much if it is for simple/short instructions, may as well eliminate any risk of miscommunication.

If one wants to get an enroute flight information service here, this is the call (for Farnborough LARS):

"Farnborough west, Golf-Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta, Piper Warrior, Blackbushe to Dunkeswell, 4 Miles East of Blackbushe two-tousand, fife hundred on one-zero-one-niner, VFR, expect Popham one-five, request basic service".

We don't do flight information or flight following; we have god knows how many different services (I think 7) that the CAA determine fit into either flight information or flight following. Basic service is the lowest and has the least chatter.. On a busy day in the South East of England, you seriously can't get a word in edgeways... So they now have listening squawks; set the transponder to a pre-determined code and they know you are listening to them. Why they can't overall for phraseology is beyind me, because, clearly they don't need it if all you need to do is set a transponder code. BTW, that is all I do, unless I need to contact them, which is, never.