Sydney Seaplanes de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver VH-NOO crash report update

.The Genitrol (sp) uses fuel from the fuel tanks for the heat and always worried me when they had to be used. It turned supercooled raindrops into ice pellets one day and showered the whole cockpit with them. Nev

• Informative 1

Found those types only usually work once if they get a hit of CO. The long life ones are best but not available at present. How many flights you done with it?

I actually have the 18 month one. Cost about $20.

Done lots of flights since installed Aug last year. I check it regularly in flight.

The one in the photo only lasts a couple of months and costs USD$5.

.The Genitrol (sp) uses fuel from the fuel tanks for the heat and always worried me when they had to be used. It turned supercooled raindrops into ice pellets one day and showered the whole cockpit with them. Nev

Another reason I will not have a diesel or gas heater in a caravan....

• Agree 1

That's because you don't have an external flue. The heater mentioned has been suspected of causing the destruction of aircraft as it's burning avgas in it's own self contained area and I don't recall it having any fire extinguishing capability, but the heated air would not contain CO.. One of the reasons to use the one I'm talking of is to defrost the windows on the inside and the ducts are why the pellets go all over you. It didn't happen all the time. Only in heavy, very cold rain. Nev

I seem to remember a truck full of members attributed this crash to just about everything else but CO. Just goes to show that it is best to keep theories to yourself until firm evidence is produced

Ken

Thinking what could have happened and how to stop it happening to us is a good process.

• Like 2

The heater in The Mighty Foxbat uses air from the radiator (for water, not the oil) and thereby avoids the problem of CO from a faulty heater. The dot CO detector went off once, possibly because people were doing lots of stalls and the usual airflow from the exhaust got messed up.

It can come (originating from the exhaust outlet) in ANYWHERE right down to the area near the tail. The pressure inside the cabin is usually below ambient when the plane is moving through the air. Nev

Another reason I will not have a diesel or gas heater in a caravan....

Hi Jack, good quality diesel heaters like the dometic one are safe, their intake and exhaust are outside, only air over the head fins heats the van. fitted probably 100 of them now, I don’t like the gas ones by truma, exhaust and inlet are inside and prone to leaking if installed poorly. They do cut off f intake breathes fumes from exhaust inside the intake tube. Cheap Chinese copies should be avoided, they are poorly done with no safety features. One customers read 190c on the heating outlet when I tested out of curiosity last week. That will melt clothes, shoes etc, and burn you if not careful.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

So after reading the two pages of this thread:

What's the go when you are flying along - with a CO detector installed - and it goes off?

Other than opening windows (No, not a microsoft reference) then what?

What's the go when you are flying along - with a CO detector installed - and it goes off?

It just means the detector has reached a set limit, doesn't mean you die on the spot! You land when you can?

• Agree 1

With a digital detector you would get plenty of warning, exhaust cracks start small and the detectors are very sensitive. In the event of a sudden high number this chart will help you decide what to do.images.thumb.png.c286b60da5479cc48641657b02801ac1.pngResized_20200715_182427_7663.thumb.jpg.c659b98a2099158cba9fcb292f3fca4c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Exhaust failure can happen suddenly and severely. I was once flying from Tumut to home base when the dot went black. Opened the fresh air vents and did mental arithmetic and touching finger tips, nose and other extremities (NO! Not that one!) and landed to find a large chunk of exhaust pipe had detached on a sharp bend. This was the $5 detector and about 18 months old so they do work.

• Informative 1

Heaters in VW Kombi Vans have killed quite a few people. Going unconscious with CO is pretty insidious. Hope that's the right word. While the CO might not have a very strong smell the exhaust it's in, usually will (especially a 2 stroke) IF your sense of smell is good , BUT don't RELY on it I'd like to see audible warnings fitted. Nev