So have any of you Mexicans (Victorians)– smile people - made it across the border by air.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow one person has the virus in Woodend, OK lock down the Macedon Ranges shire and destroy what's left if the floundering businesses!!

There was of course a time when only one person in the world was infected.

Wow one person has the virus in Woodend, OK lock down the Macedon Ranges shire and destroy what's left if the floundering businesses!!

Well you might not be such a loss but it matters to Facthunter so it matters to me

• Caution 1

There was of course a time when only one person in the world was infected.

Depending on your religeous beliefs that also applies to the Human species

It's not "infected", it's "inseminated"

a media beatup about security staff failure at the Stamford Plaza Hotel was insignificant in terms of the numbers, and so was the BLM rally.

The protests are significant not only because of transmissions at the event, but because it was a clear sign that the govt wasn't serious about preventing community transmission. If it was OK was thousands of virtue signalling clowns to ignore social distancing, it's fine to pretty much do anything else.

I am confused though....These numbers are insignificant but one at Woodend is quite significant???

• Like 1

The protests are significant not only because of transmissions at the event, but because it was a clear sign that the govt wasn't serious about preventing community transmission. If it was OK was thousands of virtue signalling clowns to ignore social distancing, it's fine to pretty much do anything else.

I don't believe anyone here took it as the government not being serious.

It was managed.

I am confused though....These numbers are insignificant but one at Woodend is quite significant???

The breakout is near Facthunter.

I don't believe anyone here took it as the government not being serious.

It was managed.

There are a lot of reports that say otherwise. Video footage also shows thousands not complying, but fully sanctioned by Dan.

• Like 1

This has deteriorated into BS. Nev

That's exactly what happened the moment Dan allowed protests to proceed, from that point on this was going to happen. people will not tolerate one set of rules them an a different set for others.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Exactly the issue the Murdoch press and Libs here have run with. Andrews asked them strongly not to do the protest but what I saw of it they were there with masks, orderly and distancing. There also seems to be no detectable connection between the protest and any change of spread. What about the football and the message THAT sends and VIC was always being constantly pressured by Morrison to drop restrictions. No message in any of that of course. Dan warned of the consequences of removing restrictions early. What balance do you get where you live in all of the Print monopoly you have? There's only ONE view up there. But WE wouldn't KNOW . We only LIVE here and see it first hand. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Indoors is much higher risk than outdoors. How many people have been to shopping centres, bars, cafes, gyms etc since they started reopening?

If you're complaining about the BLM protests but not about shopping centres, cafes and gyms, it's not spread of coronavirus that you're worried about, it's BLM.

• Like 6

If you're complaining about the BLM protests but not about shopping centres, cafes and gyms, it's not spread of coronavirus that you're worried about, it's BLM.

The point was that allowing the protests to proceed sent a strong message that that social distancing precautions were no longer necessary.

I'm not personally concerned about CV19, but I do feel for Victorians who are going to be put through all that crap again and largely due to complete mismanagement and I'm concerned that if it gets out to other areas (which it probably will) that other states will go into lockdown again.

I'm less concerned about the disease than I am the governments response to it.

It's not going away, and all they will really do is cause maximum pain by destroying everyone's livelihood (unless you're a public servant) AND they will eventually still have the deaths overall, just over a longer period.

• Like 1

The point was that allowing the protests to proceed sent a strong message that that social distancing precautions were no longer necessary.

It seems the strong message seems to have been picked up in SE Qld by people who don't have a clue about the whole story, including the social distancing practised and the reasons it went ahead, and who just want to push their own particular barrow. In Victoria we are communicated to twice a day by both the Premier and Chief Health Officer. These aren't ten minute sessions; they go into fine detail and incude both the Premier and CHO explaining their mistakes and corrective action, which is why they have had, and are still getting overwhelming co operation and support from Victorians.

I'm not personally concerned about CV19, but I do feel for Victorians who are going to be put through all that crap again and largely due to complete mismanagement and I'm concerned that if it gets out to other areas (which it probably will) that other states will go into lockdown again.

From the daily conferences, Victorians are aware of the casues of the outbreaks from the linkage between the Al-Taqua school to the Towers on the fringe of the CBD, to the outbreaks related to meet works, in fact hundreds of different causes compared to the few picked up and reported by the media. In fact the links I provided to DHHS are not rotating links, DHHS have left the statements up warts and all, mistakes and successes, and the cause of each outbreak, so anyone can go on there and see for themselves.

As has been patiently pointed out, until the emergency declarations have expired the CMO and State CHOs are the ones responding in terms of managing a pendemic where the only way of saving lives is to squeeze it into situations where it dies, so the best way to do that is identify its path and close that off, and Australia has been one of the most successful countries in the world. Personallt I'd say the governments have been exceptional at responding to what the CMO and CHO want to do to minimise deaths, but I guess there's always someone out in the sticks that thinks he'd have made a better Prime Minister or Premier.

It's not going away, and all they will really do is cause maximum pain by destroying everyone's livelihood (unless you're a public servant) AND they will eventually still have the deaths overall, just over a longer period.

In the past few months we've had to put up with thousands of predictions like this from would-be Epidemiologists, but we've been luck enough to have the real ones in charge.

• Agree 2

A problem I find with this discussion is that for people who don't live in the Melbourne Metropolitan Area, simply naming locations as in Turbo's post #80 has little information for the rest of us as we don't know where those places are.

Here’s your visual OME

Microsoft Power BI

It comes from the DHHS site which updates daily and has all the facts for Victoria

Department of Health and Human Services Victoria | Latest news - coronavirus (COVID-19)

Well said?

In the past few months we've had to put up with thousands of predictions like this from would-be Epidemiologists, but we've been luck enough to have the real ones in charge.

And just why do you think history will play out differently this time? It's not like this is the first time this has happened.

• Like 1

Some of the best minds in the world are working on this and they won't be just playing politics if they are fair dinkum.. IF there WAS a silver bullett we would have heard of it by now. Even an effective vaccine won't be the complete answer as plenty just won't have it administered. It will be a combination of effective cure ameliorations and human behaviour. Errors and BAD judgements and deliberate neglect have been evident enough in other parts of the world to show what not to do.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

It seems that developing a vaccine for COVID19 could be a case of shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. By the time the vaccine is developed and tested, the pandemic might be over. However, that does not make the research effort a waste of time. The knowledge gained from that research can be used to further out knowledge of viruses and their infection methods. It's a bit like teaching the horse not to bolt through open gates.

One thing is a certain bet - there will be infections by this family of virus in the future. Coronaviruses are common human and animal viruses. They were first discovered in domestic poultry in the 1930's. In animals, coronaviruses cause a range of respiratory, gastrointestinal, liver, and neurological diseases. Only seven coronaviruses are known to cause disease in humans:

• Four human coronaviruses cause symptoms of the “common cold.” These have catchy names which you’ll be forgiven for forgetting: 229E, OC43, NL63, and HUK1.
  • Three human coronaviruses cause much more serious lung infections, also called pneumonia: SARS-CoV in 2002 (severe acute respiratory syndrome or “SARS”), MERS-CoV in 2012 (Middle East respiratory syndrome or “MERS”), and SARS-CoV2 (the current pandemic know as COVID-19).

A “novel” coronavirus means that it is a new coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans. This means it is different from coronaviruses that cause the common cold, and those that caused SARS in 2002 and MERS in 2012. Like, SARS and MERS, the novel coronavirus is a zoonotic disease. The definition of a zoonotic disease is one that begins in animals and is transmitted from animals to people.

So working on a vaccine for COVID19 will provide the groundwork for the next iteration of coronaviruses. The trouble is, ther's no way of telling which mutation of the virus RNA will result in a pathogenic virus. Another problem is that viruses reproduce asexually, so you can't halt them by castrating one sex.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

And crowds in shopping centres, opening cafes and bars, gyms etc. doesn't send that message?

If anything, the protests have prompted a large number of people to point out that social distancing is still important. Strangely though, many are the same people that say COVID 19 not that bad, or we should just open up and get it over with...

• Agree 1

And crowds in shopping centres, opening cafes and bars, gyms etc. doesn't send that message?

Those in shopping centres etc, are still supposed to be complying with social distancing rules and are generally compliant. Thousands in the streets shoulder to shoulder is clearly not what they were telling everyone else to do.

I do think though that it will have been an interesting experiment that will show us just how bad it actually is.

There are two ways to look at it, either it will show that it's not as bad as we thought and lockdown is pointless, or it is really bad and we need to figure out how do we deal with it long term, because we can't lockdown forever.

The initial argument was to flatten the curve. The curve is so flat it's not really a curve, so what are we doing now? Without complete isolation we can't eradicate it, so at some stage we are going to have to live with it.

No I'm not an epidemiologist or virologist, but these are the points being put forward by such people.

Isolation will keep us safe for today, but what do we do for the rest of our lives?

• Like 3

The initial argument was to flatten the curve. The curve is so flat it's not really a curve, so what are we doing now? Without complete isolation we can't eradicate it, so at some stage we are going to have to live with it.

No I'm not an epidemiologist or virologist, but these are the points being put forward by such people.

Isolation will keep us safe for today, but what do we do for the rest of our lives?

Couldn't agree more. We have "flattened the curve". The healthcare system is prepared to cope with the infections we're likely to encounter.

We seem to have transitioned from a reduction strategy to an elimination strategy - and the various Governments are focusing on eliminating it to the detriment of everything from businesses, the economy, people's mental health and even so far as their superannuation balance in 30 years time!

• Agree 2

https://www.technocracy.news/sweden-was-right-after-all-rest-of-the-world-was-punkd/

Japan had no lock down 2 lets see how they did.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/japan/

How do we live with this and with the rest of the world?

They have made this virus into the boggy man with a survival rate of 99.96% Hmmm.

Those in shopping centres etc, are still supposed to be complying with social distancing rules and are generally compliant. Thousands in the streets shoulder to shoulder is clearly not what they were telling everyone else to do.

I do think though that it will have been an interesting experiment that will show us just how bad it actually is.

There are two ways to look at it, either it will show that it's not as bad as we thought and lockdown is pointless, or it is really bad and we need to figure out how do we deal with it long term, because we can't lockdown forever.

Again well said?

The continuous destruction of our economy by the hysteria will have far more reaching problems for everyone in the future than any incurable virus!