So have any of you Mexicans (Victorians)– smile people - made it across the border by air.

CV-19 can not be eliminated BUT if we go (had gone) for a hard/short/sharp lock down there is a good chance it can be reduced to the point where all infections are geographically limited to people coming into the country - called setting up quarantine station - not a new or revolutionary but a well proven concept, This is an eminently easier and less costly situation to manage than the current pop up anywhere debacle.

No matter what system is adopted, it will be costly on many fronts, however internal (country) elimination ( like NZ/WA/NT/QLD) offers a very good chance of a near normal national life - suppression will only result in frequent on going outbreaks. I suggest the latter will, on reflection, be far more costly economically, socially and fatally.

• Like 1

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W.A.'s Premier Mark McGowan is very clear on the process whereby W.A. will re-open its borders. It will be when he and W.A. Health officials are convinced that the Eastern States have their virus cases under total control.
And where is this "total control" term defined? As I said above, it is a vaguely-defined and incredibly subjective description that is open to interpretation by anyone for their own ends. WA still won't open their border to Tasweigans or Territorians and they are light-years ahead of NSW, Victoria and Qld - and WA itself - so it isn't about having the pestilence under control in the location from whence you came.

Those half-dozen colleagues trapped in Perth I mentioned above have been asked to re-commit for another 3 month stay in WA. That will total between 8-9 months away from their families depending on their roster.

CV-19 can not be eliminated BUT if we go (had gone) for a hard/short/sharp lock down there is a good chance it can be reduced to the point where all infections are geographically limited to people coming into the country - called setting up quarantine station - not a new or revolutionary but a well proven concept, This is an eminently easier and less costly situation to manage than the current pop up anywhere debacle.

No matter what system is adopted, it will be costly on many fronts, however internal (country) elimination ( like NZ/WA/NT/QLD) offers a very good chance of a near normal national life - suppression will only result in frequent on going outbreaks. I suggest the latter will, on reflection, be far more costly economically, socially and fatally.

Would Australia as a whole be up for another round of lock downs, when it's been shown the first round didn't really work? The hotel quarantine debacle in Melbourne & Sydney while it has worked, hasn't stopped the virus getting back into the community following the 2 week detention - the latest NT case is someone who came out of quarantine in Melbourne.

I'd be all for a NZ-style 3 week lockdown to stop it once and for all in Oz, but it has to be backed up by detention on arrival for international travellers that will work. But so far, the state governments of all persuasions, have shown they can't be trusted to implement such a system.

• Like 1

'd be all for a NZ-style 3 week lockdown to stop it once and for all in Oz, but it has to be backed up by detention on arrival for international travellers that will work. But so far, the state governments of all persuasions, have shown they can't be trusted to implement such a system.

Yep I would be for that.

Correct me if i am wrong but today in NZ is 75 days FREE of any cases. All back to normal for them except international travel.

Yep I would be for that.

Correct me if i am wrong but today in NZ is 75 days FREE of any cases. All back to normal for them except international travel.

There's not a lot of point talking about the situation we had in Wave 1.

Today we are dealing with community transmission, where, for example a lawful truck driver can transmit the virus two states away.

I'd be all for a NZ-style 3 week lockdown to stop it once and for all in Oz, but it has to be backed up by detention on arrival for international travellers that will work.

It appears, however, that celebrity or wealth circumvent that plan. Was it Clive Palmer who bought his way out of WA? And Danni Minogue was given an exemption from hotel detention as long as she and her son stay isolated on a rural property.

It is clear that 14 days is insufficient to ensure that a person is not infected. NZ seems to have shown that 21 days are required, and I think that has a lot of virological sense to it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The wails about the "suffering" from "being away from their families" due to virus control regulations, pale into insignificance when you study up on the amount of time many military and naval people have spent away from their families.

At least the people stuck in regions distant from their families can access modern video communications to see and hear them, even if they can't touch them. That's not something the blokes in WW2 got to do - particularly if they were POW's.

Time to toughen up methinks, the world doesn't end because you're stuck in an isolated place, away from family for an extended period. Funnily enough, a lot of people start fighting with family members, once they get put together for a time.

• Like 4

Yep I would be for that.

It's been 76 days since the last case of community transmission in NZ but there are 27 returning citizens who have tested positive still in quarantine. There have been no deaths since May. Everything is back to normal. There are no social distancing restrictions. Super Rugby Aotearoa has had crowds of 20-40,000 at the games. About 400 people people fly in each day, citizens, residents & a small number of selected foreigners who are given special exemptions & all are quarantined for 14 days. They are tested after 3 days & then again on the 12th day. If both are negative they are let into the community on the 14th day. Before the pandemic daily arrivals were around 20,000. On current trends that would mean 600 new cases a day so the borders look likely to remain shut given the worsening situation almost everywhere else.

How New Zealand could keep eliminating coronavirus at its border for months to come, even as the global pandemic worsens July 16, 2020 11.55am AEST

R/T is so quiet these days, feels like I'm the only one up there, ATC must be falling alseep?

Half your luck....someone around here had such a crappy radio and made so many calls they actually gave me a migraine the other weekend.

• Like 1

TOO many assumed (hoped) we are back to NORMAL and RELAXED and did really stupid things. That's a pretty COSTLY mistake or worse. People will get very sick and a lot of businesses will go broke. THAT did NOT have to happen. but it's all over the world. It will be a long time before we see normal again what ever the discoveries etc are. IF we had a vaccine NOW lots would refuse it

To be represented at your DAY in Court will cost you about $, 8.000. and don't COUNT on winning, and don't count on any Justice, you will only get an interpretation of the LAW.. You have more chance of winning Tatts than recovering your costs..Nev

Study case law before you get started, IF you defend yourself.

R/T is so quiet these days, feels like I'm the only one up there, ATC must be falling alseep?

Yep, heard last Sunday arvo:-

“ BN CN Qlink xxxD request”

”Qlink xxxD - go ahead”

”request you say something as we’re worried we’re off the air .... etc”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had noticed one positive effect of CV19, and that was the lack of automotive cholesterol that they call caravans. It has been the most pleasant period for driving anywhere that I can recall EVER....Sadly, this period is over and the roads seem to be littered with ignorant van operators. I know it's not all caravan operators, but that 99% sure make the other 1% look bad.

I wonder if we initiate some king of levy to support small town while keeping caravans off the roads? :amazon:

• Like 1

I wonder if we initiate some king of levy to support small town while keeping caravans off the roads? :amazon:

A king of an idea; should be trialled in Queensland; no caravans but and extra $5 billion ion State Taxes to pay their share of the $12.8 billion tourism industry.

1594950427380.thumb.png.f3498acbf78d4f8f66e563fe01e09559.png

A king of an idea; should be trialled in Queensland; no caravans but and extra $5 billion ion State Taxes to pay their share of the $12.8 billion tourism industry.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="1594950427380.png]54721[/ATTACH]

Except Grey Nomads aren't really like normal tourists, while they do provide some cashflow, they are notoriously stingey.

BTW....It was a tongue in cheek post, as much as I hate them on the roads, and I REALLY do, I realise some of us depend on them.

• Agree 1

After re-reading your post Turbo, it occurred to me that these useless fools haven't learned a damn thing. The QLD economy was hit hard because tourism is the first thing to suffer when things go bad. And what are they doing? Developing more tourism......

It's a handy sideline, but it's not really where you want to base your income if you need stability.

While a pandemic is a possible expectation to happen sometime, No one could see this as actually being in the form it is and do other things because of an expectation it would shut everything down.. Tourism is a fairly benign form of getting income if done well and encourages places to look after their assets that others will pay to come and experience and invest in those areas that have potential.. Lots of reasonable jobs come from it. Nev

There's not a lot of point talking about the situation we had in Wave 1.

Today we are dealing with community transmission, where, for example a lawful truck driver can transmit the virus two states away.

Wouldn't have happened if we had gone for elimination in the first round

Wouldn't have happened if we had gone for elimination in the first round

You only have to look at the rebellious posts on this site to know you could only have achieved that with assault rifles, and even then some people would have got away.

We did well pulling back from Wave 1, the CMO is telling us to be patient with Vic Wave 2 (because of the delay factor), so we still have a few days in Vic which might show a peak, and what's been learned so far is being applied much faster in NSW, Qld and SA.

• Haha 1

There are also certain groups with a lot to lose if it all gets sorted and the longer it stays the more they gain. Who got the most money for the least effort?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There are also certain groups with a lot to lose if it all gets sorted and the longer it stays the more they gain. Who got the most money for the least effort?

I think the unemployed, a friend of mine bought a new shotgun and has so far banked about 6k extra and spent nothing on going nowhere. I had to spend $4k with the accountant to get some business help, and I think we get taxed on the income, so less than a third of it lands in your hand to pay the things it was for. Almost like a save the African children campaign.

The pensioners got the most for least effort. Money thrown at them in an effort to get them to spend, while suggesting it would be safer to stay at home.