Lake-Renegade Crash • Oshkosh 2017 (new Air Safety Institute video)

It's (THAT saying) is usually related to younger women and a vivid imagination and a distorted sense of ones attractiveness ( apart for what money they may have.) This guy doesn't have that excuse. It's one of the best Human Factors sequences I've seen for a while that could be extensively examined for where it went wrong.. I'm not sure the bit on who's the PIC is so clear cut . One thing for sure If you don't DO SOMETHING before the crash there's not much use in ratting on about it afterwards..

• Haha 1

I saw this the day it came out. The first thought I had was it was caused by an ego with a credit card and an airplane... But considering the crew experience, one would think they both had plenty of human factors training... The ground crew could not have put more effort into stopping them! Would love to hear the cockpit conversations, yet they continued....

A lot of very experienced pilots are adamant about NOT needing human factors training. You should see how some of them perform on a 'Proper' course. The day you think you have nothing more to learn is when you start to become dangerous. "Experience" can be doing the same thing over and over. A lot of hours is only SOMETHING if you have been receptive to learning from it. Nev

• Like 3

I'm amazed this bloke got as far as he did into his lifespan, with the unbelievable arrogance levels he displayed - along with the flying skills that were substandard.

He was just another Bud Holland, intent on testing his aircraft to far beyond its capabilities, and not even possessing adequate flying knowledge, or utilising good airmanship. What was that saying about old pilots and bold pilots?

• Like 2

The saying was a bit more relevant when you only flew when the wind was light. Most of todays planes are quite forgiving. Seaplanes are tricky and this type is no exception. Birds never take off downwind only when very young. Even larger seaplanes don't like swells. Making them FOOLproof is a big call.. A series of BAD assessments makes an inevitable end result such as what happened. Inexplicable? YES. Never make critical decisions about planes when you are emotionally involved. You have to be Joe (or Josephine) COOL.. Nev

• Like 1

I saw this the day it came out. The first thought I had was it was caused by an ego with a credit card and an airplane... But considering the crew experience, one would think they both had plenty of human factors training... The ground crew could not have put more effort into stopping them! Would love to hear the cockpit conversations, yet they continued....

The ground crew could have refused to tow them. I'm not saying they should have.

• Like 1