Shell Aero Sport Plus 4 oil - shelf life.

Today I phoned to check that my oil supplier had 3 liters in stock before I went over. They said thier oil is out of date and they may not get any more in.

Looked up the Shell site but have not found a refference about shelf life.

Anyone got any info on this.

The general rule for oil is that it must be kept "fresh" by oil retailers, to ensure that there can be no user-reported problems, or warranty claims against the refiner, due to poor oil performance.

5 years is the reported shelf life of motor oil - but that also depends on how it's stored. High temperatures and exposure to humidity and strong light, all assist in oil additive degradation - which is essentially, oil performance degradation.

Condensation can gather in containers - chemicals added to oil are basically unstable and reactive, and do degrade over time - and some additives are larger particles, that can sink to the bottom of the container.

I'd say retailers have probably set a shorter shelf life period, to ensure they sell only the freshest oils. There's an informative article below.

https://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/18/what-is-the-shelf-life-of-motor-oil/

• Like 1

My AeroShell 15W50 oil has an expiry date printed on the bottom corner of the 1 quart bottles, typically 4 years from the date of either manufacture or bottling. I had to wait for a little while till Blackwoods could supply unexpired oil

(Blackwoods seem to be about the cheapest supplier I can find. I order a carton of 12 online, and there is no delivery charge if you pick it up at the counter)

• Like 1

My AeroShell 15W50 oil has an expiry date printed on the bottom corner of the 1 quart bottles, typically 4 years from the date of either manufacture or bottling. I had to wait for a little while till Blackwoods could supply unexpired oil

(Blackwoods seem to be about the cheapest supplier I can find. I order a carton of 12 online, and there is no delivery charge if you pick it up at the counter)

Blackwoods at Mackay are $22 per single litre or a 12 bottle pack at $19.27 each and they have to get in. Our Shell refueller used to get it in with other deliveries than the local maintenance shop become the exclusive supplier. I'll see what is the current method when they phone back.

I have come across this situation befor - I used to purchase my AeroShel Sport +4 from "Green Frog"/Sydney (no longer in business) and was offered some "expired" product for a very good price. Now purchase from Sky Fuel Shell Aviation Oils & AeroShell Products - Buy Online. They do a good carton price.

I used to buy direct from Shell at Archerfield when I was passing through but now there is a new outfit doing fuel & oil & the price has gone up. Was $120.00 for a case of W100+ now $140.00. Blackwoods used to be $140.00 & now has skyrocketed to $230.00. Skyfuel is the best I can find at $120.00 a case plus $20.00 delivery direct to my hangar.

• Informative 1

Today I phoned to check that my oil supplier had 3 liters in stock before I went over. They said thier oil is out of date and they may not get any more in.

Looked up the Shell site but have not found a refference about shelf life.

Anyone got any info on this.

Bough 4 one liter bottles for $52, $12 each plus gst. Very happy with price. They rotate thier stock every 6 months or so and the new office person was unsure yesterday. All good and I'll keep buying from them. Ready for an oil change in a couple of weeks times. Cheers

I used to buy direct from Shell at Archerfield when I was passing through but now there is a new outfit doing fuel & oil & the price has gone up. Was $120.00 for a case of W100+ now $140.00. Blackwoods used to be $140.00 & now has skyrocketed to $230.00. Skyfuel is the best I can find at $120.00 a case plus $20.00 delivery direct to my hangar.

I used to do the same as that. It now comes in boxes of 6 and last lot cost $68.29 from Rocky

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do the same as that. It now comes in boxes of 6 and last lot cost $68.29 from Rocky

Good morning Ironpot, is that price including GST and delivery on top ? Just trying to gauge it as the local IGA (also a fuel centre and the owner is a pilot) has access direct SHELL products

I ring the tanker driver when I am at Rocky and he fetches it out from his oil store. So, yes it does include delivery but only on the airfield (if that makes sense?)

That price included GST of $6.21

I can confirm the manufacture date was DEC19 and it needs a "retest" after 4 years

Good morning Ironpot, is that price including GST and delivery on top ? Just trying to gauge it as the local IGA (also a fuel centre and the owner is a pilot) has access direct SHELL products

I just realised I might have mislead you - apologies if I have. "Rocky" = Rockhampton, Queensland

• Like 1