Kilmore Gap procedures

Hi. First post so forgive any protocols I may have broken. I am planning a navigation training flight up through the Kilmore Gap in the coming weeks so I just wanted to ask what altitudes you guys use. Usually northwest bound from YLIL one would use recommended even plus 500 altitudes but given the CTR steps this changes things. There is high terrain to the north so that’s something to take into account also.

Assuming cloud base is not an issue, what would those that fly this route recommend and why?

Normal Alt's are not an issue due the CTA steps and terrain, blw 5000' quadrantal is optional, fly at the safest height. The ML VTC is the go to map. There Web Cams available for the area. Pretty quiet these days due the CV hysteria.

Normal Alt's are not an issue due the CTA steps and terrain, blw 5000' quadrantal is optional, fly at the safest height. The ML VTC is the go to map. There Web Cams available for the area. Pretty quiet these days due the CV hysteria.

“Quadrantial”has been replaced with “hemispherical” some time ago (u showing your age?) just sayin....

But yep, fly at the safest level!

Below 3000’ you must be ‘clear of cloud’, so gives you a bit more flexibility. 2nd the web cams?

Hi. First post so forgive any protocols I may have broken. I am planning a navigation training flight up through the Kilmore Gap in the coming weeks so I just wanted to ask what altitudes you guys use. Usually northwest bound from YLIL one would use recommended even plus 500 altitudes but given the CTR steps this changes things. There is high terrain to the north so that’s something to take into account also.

Assuming cloud base is not an issue, what would those that fly this route recommend and why?

Hi Stephan

there are three steps shown on vtc. Max 2500 from sgsv to Arthur’s creek approx, then 3500 to just before kmg where you can go to 4500 max. I pretty much fly the 2500 then 3500 as per vtc steps on the 313 heading.

• Agree 2

Whatever you do, when approaching any location where terrain is rising, and weather can be marginal - stay in VMC, and 'keep the back door open'. ie, constantly look behind you to ensure that cloud isn't forming below your level, and that heavy rain isn't closing in your possible track reversal.

Decide which way you will turn - but downslope is smartest as clearance AGL increases.

If using a GPS, set it so that your 'terrain' warnings begin at 1000AGL and not 500' AGL - a decent margin in that.

Local knowledge is important for 'gap' locations.

happy days,

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

When I did my RPC Nav training out of YLIL we flew at the step levels for that route, ie under the 2500 step we flew 2500, under the 3500 we flew 3500. Altitude is your friend.

Make regular radio calls and write down any that you hear using the VFR corridor, your instructor will like that.

If you are in the corridor and hear someone call to notify they are entering it, make another call stating your position, alt and heading, just to let them know you are there, they may not have heard your call when you entered.

Melbourne Central will be listening and watching for any conflicts. They will call if they see any potential issues, which is why you want to make your radio calls, so they know who they are dealing with.

I've been in contact with them twice on Navs along that corridor, even as a lowly RPC holder.

Once they called us as they were concerned we weren't going to make the 2500 step on decent from 3500, thats how close they are watching - we made it.

"Fly" the route on google maps to get familiar with it, it helps identify things when you are up there. It relieves some of the task saturation so you can concentrate on maintaining altitude, visual lookout and the radio.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

If you really want to get brave, contact Melbourne Approach and request Flight Following. They will treat you very similar to an IFR aircraft and talk you all the way through. Very helpful service except when they are especially busy. At the moment with the beer virus, you should find ATC will go out of their way to assist you. I’ve used this service many times at night and in poor weather and it is a great service. All you have to do is fly the plane, they make all the decisions for you.