2020 raus elections

Bruce Tuncks

IF you get the same % of interest that will be more interest. numerically. Let's face it. The show has always had too much apathy in the ranks of the members for it's own good.. It's changed a lot if you think about it. The old KEEN group of tribals that sometimes exhibited sensitivity to outsiders and warred among it's factions has been replaced by a more Organised "slicker" managed show which had to happen.as we get less rudimentary and "matey" and more GA like in our way of doing things. Structurally, you still have a voting for positions ability which has to be a PLUS. A magazine associate subscription with voting rights is a good idea at a significantly reduced rate.. What OTHER organisation is "going that well." or stands out as being much better in an obvious way? When you Pay you "should" get a say.. Maybe far from what you would regard as YOUR ideal of perfect but it's pretty much ALL you've got and IF you think anything you do will change the CASA much, I can't see why you would think that's possible or likely. We seem to have passed that point of possibility some 15 or more years ago. Nev

BUT, MM is there for MM only, not for RAA, & certainly NOT for the members, they are the simple mug's that keep him in a job.
After RAAus' backflip on landing fees, you won't catch me voting for anyone that was in the administration of RAAus at that time. Guilt by association and all that.

They said they wouldn't do it, then they did. I believe a mans word is his bond and they violated that.

• Like 3

After RAAus' backflip on landing fees, you won't catch me voting for anyone that was in the administration of RAAus at that time. Guilt by association and all that.

They said they wouldn't do it, then they did. I believe a mans word is his bond and they violated that.

I haven't been paying much attention to RAA antics of late, So would you mind enlightening me on this RAA backflip re landinf fees ..???

on the side, I've heard nothing from the Privacy commission!

I haven't been paying much attention to RAA antics of late, So would you mind enlightening me on this RAA backflip re landinf fees .

The Raa always promised to never reveal personal details, however it did on the sly to avdata via the AAA (Australian Airports Association). Eventually revealed by the RAA when pushed.

So avdata (a private company) now have everyones name, rego and address....... without their express permission.

avdata (a private company) now have everyones name, rego and address....... without their express permission.

I was wondering if the passing on of that information could be an offence against the Privacy Act, so I had a look into it. I don't think RAA broke the law, unless, as a "small business", its annual turnover is more than $3 million. It all has to do with the protection of "personal information", which is explained here:

What is personal information?.

A major part of that protection process is the consent of the person to the use of personal data. An organisation doesn’t need your express consent to handle your non-sensitive personal information; but they need to reasonably believe that they have your implied consent. It’s not sufficient for an organisation or agency simply to tell you of their collection, use or disclosure of your personal information. Unless they presented you with an opt-out option they cannot assume your implied consent.

https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/your-privacy-rights/your-personal-information/consent-to-the-handling-of-personal-information/

Did RAA provide an opt-out option when you provided it with your personal information?

Did RAA provide an opt-out option when you provided it with your personal information?

When I joined, it was actively promoting the fact in magazine articles that it did NOT and would not supply third parties with members personal information.

Then one day it just threw that out the window .......

https://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/privacy-complaint-approved-by-oaic.68314/

https://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/avdata-again.67579/

Have not seen Sport Pilot, not in the letter box, not on the RAA site, not on issuu.com and no word on when it is due - has obviously missed the 1st August publication date. Their website is pace.com.au

Now this will put RAA into a difficult situation as the ballots must be received or at least post marked 25th Sept. I see the AGM (due in November) has been postponed to Feb 2021. The next "Meet the Candidates" is due 26th August. Lets hope the other three have done some homework on RAA, as they struck me as knowing very little about the issues, apart from Simon wanting RAA instructor hours to count towards a GA Instructor rating. I guess word got around Canberra that there was a Director position going as someone was not re-standing. I regret not putting my hand up.

Michael Monk has said several times that this is his last term. He will not be standing again, so one of the other unpaid Directors will be the head of RAA. I just hope they have as much energy and time to travel around. Several existing Directors are employed full time elsewhere. At least MM gets around the country (& on live stream during the virus). The last time I saw so much of our leadership was back in the days of the AUF when Middo and Myles did our flying school inspections, and NATfly, but we were a much smaller organisation then, with mostly volunteer instructors and a lot of the admin done by volunteers, which caused some issues later.

FlyingV - also not overly impressed with the three new nopminees and regret not putting my hand up this year.

And I too have nostalgia for the Middo days of engagement ... but not the admin from that era.

The real shame is that an admittedly horrible Admin failure that resulted in the crisis has resulted in what I see as empire building in an organisation structure that is not needed for the operations, leveling up in terms of categories of airframes and piloting and overall regulatory increase on the passtime of flying that only really needed an admin and process overhaul to address the root cause of the crisis.

Oh and do not as a member dare to ask for a copy of the rules or procedures for elections that comply with teh constitution - under the current RAAus structure they have never been documented as required (the member nomination pack does not even come close to complying) and have never been amde available to members ... 4 years and counting. The shame is that the ONLY way to enforce the constitution is to sue the company ... not going to happen is it.

• Agree 1

The Raa always promised to never reveal personal details, however it did on the sly to avdata via the AAA (Australian Airports Association). Eventually revealed by the RAA when pushed.

So avdata (a private company) now have everyones name, rego and address....... without their express permission.

Ah yes, I am still waiting for the Privacy commission's ruling on that one, I have not been paying attention lately & thought maybe there had been a another backflip to rescind that foul decision, always the hopefull ! Sorry about that, I'll just go back now & bury my head in the sand again. Cheers

Edited by circuitsun

My opinion is that RAA saved itself a great deal of time and money by agreeing to provide AVDATA with ownership details. The alternative would have eventually led to the Courts - RAA aiding and abetting “theft” by its members, etc. and losing. The alternative being airport owners banning RAA aircraft, wheel clamps, etc.

This was one the RAA wasn’t going to win.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

My opinion is that RAA saved itself a great deal of time and money by agreeing to provide AVDATA with ownership details.

I think the issue really was the information was provided without express permission as required by the Privacy Act to which RAA is subject. As it is subject to the Privacy Act its defence in any court action would be it cannot provide the data by law.

As to the idea that RAA aircraft maybe banned or even wheel clamped at airports is imaginable, however RAA aircraft probably avoid those airports in the main for other reasons. Also, does the legislation provide for such discrimination at Part 139 airports?

Well, just sat through 85 + minutes of the four candidates. Apart from Michael Monk, I wasn't overly impressed with any others. Seems to have attracted Defence Force, Canberra based candidates. I thought about standing, but decided I wasn't well known and wouldn't have a hope, but at least I knew a lot more about recreational flying. Next "Meet the Candidates" will be 9th Sept.

You would have got my vote, Sue ?

• Agree 1

Could I assume that when describing upcoming elections there is possibly corruption‘ involved?

seems to be a common theme these days?

Edited by jackc
  • Agree 1

Isn't Michael Monk the Australian representative for an overseas sourced RAAus aircraft as reported in Australian Flying? How do you spell conflict of interest if this is so?

Each candidate has to declare any conflict of interest in their election statement. MM's is

---------

Declaration of financial interests related to aviation

Majority shareholder of Lockr Life Pty Ltd (LLPL) – provider of products and services to the aviation sector. LLPL writes and sells lockr.aero aviation logbook products for pilots and aircraft maintenance tracking. In addition to this, LLPL also distributes CTLS aircraft and related parts in Australia. LLPL also provides bespoke software and consulting services to aviation businesses on a national and international basis.

----------

The other candidates have listed their Conflict of Interest in their Statements.

I would rather have one with "skin in the game" than one without. In our previous elections there were candidates who had very little time with RAA and very little (if any) time around ultralights. Unless they bring strong skills in areas where the Board is deficient, they'll be passengers while they 'catch up'. I fear that RAA, unintendedly, is attracting people wanting to put on their CVs "Director on the Board of Australia's largest Aviation Organisation" and claim any advances as their own. I wrongly assumed members would have had lots of time in lock-down to think about volunteering for the Board to right the wrongs, improve our sport and make the world a better place. Instead there was apathy.

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

RAA, unintendedly, is attracting people wanting to put on their CVs "Director on the Board of Australia's largest Aviation Organisation"

Just like at least one member of the CASA board! A short term as GFA president and voile , invited onto the CASA board after participating in the ongoing slow death of gliding - hardly an indication of successful leadership in aviation!

• Agree 1

In his defense, he has been there for about 6-7 years or maybe longer. He gets no wage of $$ from RA-Aus and is basically a volunteer. He has been to our airfield several times so he is investing a lot of his home time to the job. That has my support versus people we never see.

• Like 2

A lot of people have bagged the 2 Mikes but they have put a lot of time and effort into RAA. Some of the things they do may not please everyone but that is the nature of being in the decision making role. Some of those decisions will not be popular with everyone. I attended a couple of seminars in Parkes last year at the last Airventure & had a chat afterwards & found their knowledge and passion for RAA to be of the highest order.

• Informative 1

In his defense, he has been there for about 6-7 years or maybe longer. He gets no wage of $$ from RA-Aus and is basically a volunteer.

Does that mean he doesn't get knowledge, contacts and leverage for his AVIATION businesses which ultimately end up as cash in the bank?

I'm not saying it is wrong, but he is not running the RAA for purely altruistic reasons......

• Agree 1

A lot of people have bagged the 2 Mikes but they have put a lot of time and effort into RAA. Some of the things they do may not please everyone but that is the nature of being in the decision making role.

There is a corollary in local government. The was a time when only property owners could vote in local government elections or get elected to councils. After decades of universal suffrage, one can only ask who does local government really serve, its corporate self or its residents?

• Like 3

There is a corollary in local government. The was a time when only property owners could vote in local government elections or get elected to councils. After decades of universal suffrage, one can only ask who does local government really serve, its corporate self or its residents?

That corollary is true with a limited company.

It isn't so with an incorporated association. Incorporated Associations were designed specifically for volunteer-run organisations in the post-prescriptive era.

• In our case, as an incorporated association, provided members were following the rules they had the protection of the deep pockets of the ACT Department of Justice.
  • The volunteers who formed the Committee (in RAA the grandiose name board members) were close to the grass roots around Australia all the time.

With the limited company structure the support is equal to the money in the bank, and the relationship with the members is much the same as a business and its customers but without the equaliser of competition.

• Like 2