2020 raus elections

Bruce Tuncks

Gosh I hope that it was just a joke about him going to CASA. You would think after the Ungermann business they would make it a condition of service that you would not go to CASA for some 5 years or so after leaving the RAAus. Just about anywhere else would be ok, but I am open to suggestions about other banned transfers.

This is a standard requirement in any industry where a company does not want inside knowledge going to a competitor. If he IS going to CASA, I will be emailing Monck with a complaint along these lines.

It is hard to blame the person concerned, after all he is about a million dollars better off over the rest of his career and retirement. But for RAAus to have no agreement about this at the time of his employment is unforgivable. After all, he could have gone to CASA instead of coming to RAAus if CASA thought he was that good.

I agree with Bruce. Magazines these days are more advertising, how I long for the days of magazines like 'Electronics Australia' back in the 70s and 80s.

I regret throwing out my boxes of EA. Built a few valve amps and things from it way back when.

• Like 1

Speaking of RAA employees absconding to CASA, is Barnfield still on the RAA books?

After his CASA tenure of a few days, I believe he came back into the RAA fold as a "contractor".

I've heard hide nor hair of him since....

Your comment about Michael Linke’s new position, was that based on fact, or (insert) speculation/humour/wishful thinking........

Cheers.

Airport coffee gossip about 1 week before it was public, if wrong however, don't shoot the messenger.

• Like 1

It is generally not possible to impose conditions on where someone works after leaving - its called “restraint of trade”. In some cases you can apply a non compete clause, usually not more than two years. Courts don’t like enforcing these clauses. If Mr. Lincke does want to go to CASA, no non compete clause could stop him because he is not going to a competitor but to an arm of government.

• Informative 1

I don't think it's really permitted to be an arm of government. It should be an Independent Statutory Authority. It administers government regulations. but even the minister couldn't directly influence it's legal decisions except by change of regs through the parliament. There are questions of loyalty and conflict of interest even with commercial interests in a plane sales company and in this case knowledge of other RAAus office bearers actions and views. Whether these are seen as significant depends on a lot of things Nev

Speaking of RAA employees absconding to CASA, is Barnfield still on the RAA books?

After his CASA tenure of a few days, I believe he came back into the RAA fold as a "contractor".

I've heard hide nor hair of him since....

He is still there as a assistant tech manager, just sitting in the background waiting to pounce I guess.

Getting back to the elections I read the candidates profiles last night. Apart from the incumbent, the unknown candidates do not:

1. say how long they have been RAA members

2. if they have a RPC

3. outline their less than 600kg flying experience.

My initial impression is that they have been "parachuted in". The question would be by whom and why?

From the length of their bios it would seem that they are well equipped for the corporate world but what experience of the RAA world, homebuilding and attachment to the community that is RAA do they have?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

The AUF is long gone. Growth of RAA is catering to a widening variety of recreational aircraft which is is demonstrated by the push for heavier aircraft and GA pilots converting. One of my biggest concerns is having the organisation being administered by people who get paid to fly and have a lack of understanding of what is involved with paying for every hour flown through hiring or ownership.

I note there are also musings amongst some to look beyond CTA to IFR permissions for recreational aircraft, with the technology and systems available this is probably on the cards in the future as well. Jim's' observation about candidates being equipped for the corporate world seems a fair comment and that may be what is needed for our organisation to keep up. While I feel uncomfortable about the way things are moving I try to remind myself of two things.

Firstly recreational aircraft use should be for that purpose (recreational use) and not just limited to the ultralight category.

Second point for myself is that even with the expanding role of the RAA I can still fly my ultralight, maintain it and use it in the same way I have done since I came across from GA in 2003. There is no proposal for anything to change in that space for me and if I want to have my experiences better understood and heard then I should be more active in sharing the message.

• Like 2

Even 2 years would be better than nothing. I still say that requiring an agreement to not go to CASA is worthwhile. Even if it turns out to be not enforceable, at least with some particular judges, the person doing the double-cross would be exposed.

Is it not interesting that there has not been movements the other way? Maybe the million dollars in benefits has something to do with this.

I note there are also musings amongst some to look beyond CTA to IFR permissions for recreational aircraft, with the technology and systems available this is probably on the cards in the future as well.

That could be fun, sounds easy.

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/experienced-crew-struggled-with-instrument-flight-after-737-lost-autopilots/140072.article?fbclid=IwAR3QI029wlSOamoCLgyX6sgXsKoxzeUo5QP4nBGP_6ybGg9tZrxNXXPbZsA

• Like 2

I think you do have a more professionally run organisation both actually and in appearance. The ongoing issues are around policies and expenses. IF the BASIC end of the RAAus don't have enough at the top who know anything about in administration, it it won't get much attention or expertise shown. IF it becomes the "NEW GA" I think they will lose the focus on what RAAus stood for. SIMPLE affordable and safe flying that the owner services and often builds. Some of the hoped for demands have helped this happen.. You might just as well just have a GA if you lose your exemptions.. ALL this uncertainty and confusion has gone on for too long and I KNOW the CASA's changing ships in midstream is part of the problem. They've not provided any true leadership or direction all through. Nev

• Like 2

The new magazine shows that RAAus is following the same path as the GFA. The massive input of sleek and expensive and high-performance aircraft serves to demoralize the people who can't afford such things. They ( the non-rich )may well react by finding something else to do with their time and money.

To some extent this is going to happen anyway, but as an association, we should try and delay this by making a fuss over the older and cheaper planes.

I do have some sympathy to the magazine editors , the sleek new expensive stuff sure looks good. As does the magazine... but as always I reckon we need more nuts n bolts maintenance stuff.

Personally, I don’t care about the swimming pools and movie star stuff. We all die in the finish, so all we need to do is have fun in our own way, be that a rag and stick machine or a super slick plastic fantastic. This whole World runs on sell, sell, and more sell. I have always just done my own thing. Advertising is wasted on me......

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I have received the new Sport Pilot - looks to be a more expensive production that the previous version but the content is OK.

At three issues per year, I'm not sure it is going to of great interest to advertisers.

As for the candidates, I'm not I will vote - not a fan of M & M (although it now maybe one M) and another ex-Army aviator - I don't think so - those with a little memory will remember a not so long back "CEO" and President.

One way is to put your RAA ‘concerns’ to each candidate and see what answer you get, pick who you think may do more for the RAA future and IF they get in, hold them to it for ever more.

All it takes for evil to prosper......is for good people to sit on their hands, and do NOTHING.....

• Like 1

I agree with others comments about the magazine. I doubt they will be able to keep up the quality.

The first candidate Adam Scheiffers stands out as being suitable and capable.

No 2 Danni Maynard is learning to fly and that is a plus, but she seems to be bogged down in human factors. I don't think we need an expert in human factors and emergency training. We already have a surfeit of them.

No 3 Michael Monck has a track record we can all assess, so make up your own minds.

No 4 Simon Ozanne is ex military and obviously knowledgable in safety management. He may be OK but then again he may be an expert in bulldust.

They all seem to want to make RAAus grow and become a bigger empire, but do they want to make flying more affordable and less red taped than it is.

Danni and Simon both seem to realise that decisions made by safety experts are not always sensible. They also seem to be interested in technology, which sometimes fails us, because we expect too much.

Am I reading the candidates correctly. I have a degree in cynicism, or should that be an excess of?

Possibly the candidates have pitched their sales talk in the wrong direction for my liking, but I am still making up my mind.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

My mag turned up today, I like it. I think it will appeal to a broader range of people but as I mentioned in a previous post if I want to get see more about the flying I am interested then I need to contribute. I also need to encourage people who like to fly to get some photos of what they do most weekends and put it forward with a story. We read about all sorts of adventures on this site and glimpses on Facebook target interest sites as well. I use to love the old mags and would scour through them repeatedly before the next one turned up. In the earlier days though the internet was not what it is today, the world available on your phone. I will make an effort to send in a picture or two for the next mag. Wonder if this counts as Sport Pilot content !!!!539546364_openframe.thumb.JPG.41d465c7b3198df3bcb89693e4c3d1db.JPG

• Like 3
  • Winner 1