just joined

RFguy

Better to hit the far fence at walking speed rather than the near one at flying speed or land in the trees just short of the aerodrome..( or the only suitable area for miles around.) Learn ONE step at a time and later it comes together.(IF you've done it properly) WIND has a lot of effect on engine out landings. You might be interested to know the commercial jets do a glide approach from around 120 Nautical miles out. Engine "flight idle " settings are just enough to ensure the engine doesn't flame out. They also experience a big speed range, but it's still done on "Judgement" just the same as you are doing, in principle. IF you muck it up, you CAN'T do a "reset".as you can in a simulator.. Has your MAN discussed stretching a glide.? Big No No. Nev

• Like 1

What's an MAN ? One my mistakes on my first glide approach , was that I had a 'good' tailwind on downwind leg .... and of course by the time I thought about stuff, I ended up long downwind, longer than I first figured for, and then turned into headwind... ahh all learning.

Your Man Friday, Helper, Instructor. HE doesn't have to be your BEST friend. In fact that might be detrimental. (at this stage) He has to be very frank with you if necessary. I'm not really worried if it's she or a he. either. but I'm using He for simplicity. Flying's DIFFERENT isn't it? Start bringing the concept of energy into it Height /airspeed etc With it you can DO something. Without either you can't do much. Managing and judgement. Nev

• Agree 1

Your Man Friday, Helper, Instructor. HE doesn't have to be your BEST friend. In fact that might be detrimental. (at this stage) He has to be very frank with you if necessary. I'm not really worried if it's she or a he. either. but I'm using He for simplicity. Flying's DIFFERENT isn't it? Start bringing the concept of energy into it Height /airspeed etc With it you can DO something. Without either you can't do much. Managing and judgement. Nev

Ha ha Rob is very frank with me :-) ...

You know, originally I learned to fly to to enable a utility- getting places, But now I love to fly because it is a complex task with continuous time variables.

What I don't have a feel for yet (although i could probably calculate it), is for example, how much vertical decent and airspeed I can turn into a given amount of deceleration, speed reduction etc near the ground for a specific set of parameters.

I DO HAVE a few scenarios that I know those outcomes now by experience , over a number of different landing scenarios.... Got to build on that foundation.

As you say, the air is alive. calculating a landing in advance is not taking advantage how good the human brain can do the job

• Like 2

Hi RFguy and welcome to this Forum, World of Aviation and since this is my first post welcome to me as well haha.

I started the Aviation journey in November last year, 48yrs old with family, got Rpl in April and Ppl in June. Too old for aviation career, however never too old for fun :) My end goal is PPL (that one is ticked off), NVFR, PIFR, AEROS, and some other endorsements.. Flying from busy Moorabbin YMMB, unfortunately Covid reduced aviation to minimum, especially affected us in Melbourne. I am one lesson away from getting Aerobatic endorsement, hopefully the training restarts soon. Currently studying IREX, hopefully that will be ticked off before November (before new AIP/DAPs/Charts/etc.. :). There will be lots of ups & downs, all I can say is keep flying and don't give up ! It takes between 150 and 250 hours to get fully confident, however learning never stops. Good luck (to us all)! Cheers

• Like 2

Solo. thanks everyone for their input to get me here, and thanks to my CFI Rob Glenn.

Was uneventful. Flew a perfect circuit to the wire , didnt miss a single thing, deconflicted with traffic on the radio, smooth descent few power changes. gentle touchdown , a little crabbed. Geez that thing climbs like a scalded cat without the other person in it . bl00dy hell !

perfect air, late afternoon made that easy.

skills are fragile though- bit of wind and bumps and pushing me around in the middle of the day in circuit add to the task load and produces errors. and then you playing catchup all the way to the deck.

glen

• Like 4

Solo. thanks everyone for their input to get me here, and thanks to my CFI Rob Glenn.

Was uneventful. Flew a perfect circuit to the wire , didnt miss a single thing, deconflicted with traffic on the radio, smooth descent few power changes. gentle touchdown , a little crabbed. Geez that thing climbs like a scalded cat without the other person in it . bl00dy hell !

perfect air, late afternoon made that easy.

skills are fragile though- bit of wind and bumps and pushing me around in the middle of the day in circuit add to the task load and produces errors. and then you playing catchup all the way to the deck.

glen

Congrats.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Cowra today. Aircraft not happy. I put it back in the hangar.  Groan.

Did FOUR exams instead.  BAK, human factors, radio, air law...passed.

Was the PERFECT day to practice X winds, 6  knots constant  75 to 100% crosswind, slightly variable. doh.

As usual RAaus questions are often poorly written, in my opinion.... Maybe I need to get in there and help and try and improve the writing of question and answer options to be less ambiguous and confusingly written.

next exam is Navigation/cross country. 

• Like 1

On 09/09/2020 at 10:15 AM, RFguy said:

Ha ha Rob is very frank with me 🙂 ...

You know, originally I learned to fly to to enable a utility- getting places, But now I love to fly because it is a complex task with continuous time variables.

What I don't have a feel for yet (although i could probably calculate it), is for example, how much vertical decent and airspeed I can turn into a given amount of deceleration, speed reduction etc near the ground for a specific set of parameters.

Nice to meet you RFguy. I’ve been quiet for a while holed up in Taiwan and looking forward to Australia and flying. just getting back a little into reading this forum. Enjoyed reading your detailed discussion. You’re way ahead of where I was for hours. Impressed! Also makes me think about what Facthunter says... fly the plane.|

Saying this because I can get caught up in all the tech and at the end of the day it’s still seat of the pants on controls with an eye on airspeed. Then, as mentioned above somewhere near the runway it’s all seat of the pants. Can’t have an eye on airspeed indicator.

I’m just about up to solo in Mandarin. It’s the same challenge as flying in a way. Learning characters and tones and trying to stay ahead of the plane or in this case the bad tempered teacher. I’m 30 hours a week improving language skills while stuck here. By solo I’m about to solo paragliding and the radio control is in mandarin. Could be English but I’m thinking my communication with instructor will be clearer in Chinese. We will test both. If it doesn’t go well you won’t hear from me again.

Hi Mike

I have no idea what my airspeed is in the float and sink, I have never looked.... I know it can only go down with engine  idle....

As for your paragliding. Well there are many great mountains in Taiwan, enjoy the views from the air  -  Gather ATC is in Mandarin  ? cheers - GLEN

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mike Gearon said:

Nice to meet you RFguy. I’ve been quiet for a while holed up in Taiwan and looking forward to Australia and flying. just getting back a little into reading this forum. Enjoyed reading your detailed discussion. You’re way ahead of where I was for hours. Impressed! Also makes me think about what Facthunter says... fly the plane.|

Saying this because I can get caught up in all the tech and at the end of the day it’s still seat of the pants on controls with an eye on airspeed. Then, as mentioned above somewhere near the runway it’s all seat of the pants. Can’t have an eye on airspeed indicator.

I’m just about up to solo in Mandarin. It’s the same challenge as flying in a way. Learning characters and tones and trying to stay ahead of the plane or in this case the bad tempered teacher. I’m 30 hours a week improving language skills while stuck here. By solo I’m about to solo paragliding and the radio control is in mandarin. Could be English but I’m thinking my communication with instructor will be clearer in Chinese. We will test both. If it doesn’t go well you won’t hear from me again.

During late final I glance the ASI to verify still on the planed stabilised air speed, which should be stable all the way to the aiming point. As if speed decaying you need to add rpm or if your, say around 10% or more over your required speed I will consider a go around as you will bounce if you push it on in error or you’ll run out of available airstrip room. I am not an instructor and may have worded this poorly so ask your instructor about the consequence of too much speed above the approach speed on landing.  I did such once arriving at an airfield I had only flown over (Emu Park, Qld) and late in the day, stayed high to see airstrip, called long final, getting down to approach meant having speed on, knew strip was grass and up hill so planned a greaser and that would scrub off my access speed (70 kts when 55 or 60 was appropriate) On the ground then a bounce (rough ground didn’t help either) so full throttle and go around.  Had an audience of 5 aircraft. Next landing opposite direction was perfect.  Some of the best bits were that a mate videoed both landings, plus my last bfr instructor was there and I spoke to him about his tutoring about go arounds.  He told me more about the importance of not caring excessive speed when landing. Cheers

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It is all about "energy management". Ask instructor to demonstrate trimmed landing without touching yoke. Once trimmed and aimed at piano keys, an aircraft should land itself..

Airspeed is life.  I'm always glancing ASI on approach. My safety speed is Vs0 x 1.4 (~60 in c172), however it is good to practice flapless landings with higher speeds 70-80kts, and short field landings 40-50kts with stall horn beeping..

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Yenn said:

Could you give us an example of poorly written exam questions?

will dig them up for ya when I get a chance. out at Cowra.....

saw the worst airmanship example of all time this morning. resulted in Two aircraft crossing  the threshold at the same time , in opposite directions. The at fault aircraft (VH) was at fault, and continued to error when he left the aerodrome later on. it wasnt just one transgression, it was a dozen...what a !#$$^!^%$%^ geeeezus, in my opinion that guy needs the book thrown at him

Edited by RFguy

you'll love this one.

aerodrome is on RWY 15. wind from south blowing. (option is 15/33, 03/21)

The AFRU /auto wx box is say wind 120deg 4 kts, EVERYONE is on runway 15. not this guy.

VH announces, 10 nm out  on radio will do a straight in approach on runway 33. I hear him acknowledge another plane in the circuit,.two other planes are in the circuit, on downwind lined up for runway 15... he doesnt join the circuit

He doesnt call at all and arrives over the threshold RWY33 , at the same time an AG plane is arriving on 15 at the (north end) threshold.

golly I am watching all this... Ag pilot stops quickly.  ,... 100m. (RWY=1700m) . VH aircraft continues down the runwat, stops about 100m in front of the ag plane.

he parks right next to the pubic area, < 10m)  not cool. plenty of room to park. 

So, when he leaves......

ALL ops are still running on RWY15. what does he do ?

No taxi call, and then straight out onto the RWY with NO  any radio call like "ENTERS and BACKTRACKS RWY xyz etc" ..nothing....... and backtracks  down the RWY, and goes off on RWY 33 again, with inbound aircraft in base for 15 !!.

FFS !!!!!  this guy has a license ??????

he departs the area with a radio call.....

Edited by RFguy
  • Agree 1

today. 4.0 h. got an early start at it.   in gusty X winds. stormy nasty weather...wind 15-30 kts .. had everything thrown at me.

learned alot.   golly.  an interesting thing is getting fooled by the slow ground speed  (visual cues) but high IAS  when into the 30 kts headwind....  and how fast the speed and direct changes at < 200 '....

IE look out the window feels like I am doing 60 kts in the final, flapless. Look at IAS. 85 kts. WTF.

I flew solo first up, 1.2h  - drills of normal, flapless, glide. after about 10 of them, weather deteriorating each circuit..  last circuit on 15,  landing config didnt feel right, got it down OK but landed almost 3 point.  then on the downwind of the next circuit, I noticed the wind had gone around- from 130 to around 350... only 6-8 kts at this point.  , so I swapped directions (turned a base into a crosswind leg) . that was enough for that flight.. 

then, back to dual. a hour later back in the air, wind now 20 deg of cross wind, 15 kts

lots of 500 ft circuits also  ... 500' was more of everything compared to 1000'.

I started to really enjoy FLYING the plane in the turbulent conditions, not letting the plane fly me. quite a enjoyable task.  and 500'  is where the action is... did precautionary searches etc.  fun.

then X wind circuits..... wind now 0 deg (30 deg crosswind)  wind blow 15- gusting to 25 kts.

ASI read 25 kts on the ground sitting. right... X winds TO and landings. Did OK.   HEAPS of drift in circuit. rather nasty below 200 feet, a shear around 200 '

most X wind was on my right, and when I did a alternative runway ( the grass after  engine fail sim mid downwind) , X wind was then   on my left and that was more difficult to adjust to after doing 7 Xwinds landings  on the other side....  that needs work .

STOL takeoffs are not too bad but trying to nail the STOL touchdown spots where we wanted it  in the Xwind and turbulence was tricky/ task overload.

knackered, now. at home. that's enough,  1.2, 1.4 , 1.4  I think 35 landings today  .  Instructor was pleased with performance. 

glen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

THAT really IS too many landings in a day. Do them if you want to but you are not getting max benefit for the dollar. Shear and gusts are requiring of a lot of attention including power changes. Don't do STOL type take offs in gusty conditions. Low flap or none with strong headwinds. Grass is very forgiving, you have no doubt found by now. How's the landing on one wheel going?.. Keep rudder active. Have fun.  You're paying for it.. I presume .Nev

Hi Nev , thanks for the comments.

Had good breaks between sessions ... your comments of lots of  attention etc all exactly what the instructor pushes. 

Landing  on one wheel is not difficult actually, I seem to now have developed some intuition for manipulation of the controls.

however, holding the concentration together nose up, not too much, and wheel down.. and getting the rudder active  is all hard work in the variable environment. 

And if carrying a bit of extra airspeed, the elevator is MUCH  active and can become 'twitchy'- IE extra 5-10 kts and the elevator  needs some care- compared to just above the stall in the roundout sinking onto the deck where its quite ineffective.

Plenty of rudder available in the brumby.,

STOL in gusty crosswind- well it IS  hard to do  short takeoffs in that condition ! - the crosswind takeoff  and need to hold the nose down and stop it flying for a bit longer to get a bit more airspeed (with windward wing down before leaping off the runway into ground effect to build airspeed) means it takes alot for airstrip to get airborne, especially on the grass ! - so yeah it is not much of a short takeoff..... 

cheers- glen

Watch the weight on the nosewheel. Strong X-wind take offs are 'uncomfortable" anytime. It's pretty unnatural and it will tend to be skidding sideways just depending on tyre grip to keep you where you want to be. Do a clean break on rotation. You don't want to drop back on the runway as by then you will have a lot of sideload to cope with particularly IF the into wind wing has been allowed to rise.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, so technique taught was basically to bring it quickly  it up into the air (snap  it into the air is not quite the right word), IE without any hesitation, with commitment,   with windward wing lowish, and then stay into ground effect, letting speed build before getting the climb underway. 

once the aircraft is in ground effect, either landing or TO, the ability to resist a roll feels stronger . (cushion of air underneath wings as a pressure cushion). In the X wind landing, the flare I find is the vulnerable point. 

All true. Ground effect can save an under-speed flare. It's a cushion of air. Don't RELY on it till you've put in a bit more  time in such conditions and just float for a bit at the moment.

A POSITIVE rotation at a slightly faster airspeed, rather than letting it just fly off when it's ready, for the  X wind take off.. When safe, allow a gentle shallow turn into wind to climb away right on runway centre line. Nev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Nev

Your comments above on Xwind TO  were EXACTLY same as my instructor's advice...!

Yesterday, 1.9h.  Steep turns, more stalls, EP and EL from altitude,  and more STOL landings, low level CTS.

Steep turns- now they are an eye opener ! useful....and how they can go bad (spiral development) 

And entry to a spiral... and recovery. Recovery is relatively easy.  I can think that people might get spins and spirals mixed up, bad - different recovery...

Also when trying to get STOL landing on the touchdown point, found out what it was like to run out of energy in the flare and fall out of the sky (from a foot holding nose up  as airspeed decayed) 

Now at Parkes with family, onto dubbo. back to Parkes Air Museum tomorrow...

Cheers and everyone keep the advice and comments coming- they are appreciated- Glen

• Like 1
  • Agree 1