21 minutes ago, RFguy said:

Hi Nev. true on X wind landing. wing down,  opp rudder. But with a little power applied .

Did some more X winds on sunday afternoon.

This time was pure crosswind- 90 deg to nose, 8 to 12 kts . 

That was a little different to my previous day of x winds-  15-25 kts gusty, at 45 deg to my nose.  was stormy.

The difference- the headwind component was not present ! 

so my ground speed was a bit higher on landing and touchdown energy was clearly a little higher (and the manouever became more critical) 

BlueAdv- that's a good idea, helps keep the practice up.  On the final, do you  put it into a 'deep slip'  (I call that when crossed controls are at maximum ) , or fairly shallow ?  All my slips to date are power off (except the last bit of a xwind landing which is as nevs says, is a crossed control- same situation however  power on-  in a power available situation) .

As you feel comfortable, you can always increase, needs to be a proficient skill that does not compromise safety.  I'm not an instructor and comment not meant to be instruction; just saying I practice my skills.

• Like 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

During late final I glance the ASI to verify still on the planed stabilised air speed, which should be stable all the way to the aiming point. As if speed decaying you need to add rpm or if your, say

I want to thank everyone for their input in my flying journey-  It is a pleasure and a privilege to have opinions from all walks of aviation and experience   thank you- as you all know I beg

Watch the weight on the nosewheel. Strong X-wind take offs are 'uncomfortable" anytime. It's pretty unnatural and it will tend to be skidding sideways just depending on tyre grip to keep you where you

I'd only use the power if it's gusty or to make the rudder more effective. Long flairs  and floating are not  always helpful in cross wind conditions. Nev.  

Nev......mmmm agree !

I am recalling that I in those cases I have  some power on over the keys  to assist arresting the descent (STOL crosswind) and once I'd got the thing straightened  up I pulled power to idle and let it sink.  (pure X wind , zero headwind) 

In the gusty case with 50% headwind component I held power on until the down wing is just  on the deck- then gradual pull to idle cut as  both mains down..

Power on as I have had some I would call nasty episodes with wind disappearing and being dumped out of the sky (at 6" above the runway) with no power on and low ground speed (due to the previous headwind that suddenly disappeared!!! ) 

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

I want to thank everyone for their input in my flying journey-  It is a pleasure and a privilege to have opinions from all walks of aviation and experience

thank you- as you all know I began here from before getting in the left hand seat ever

Now, doing navs,  heading up into the training area solo myself to practice stuff regularly, using wheat silos and rivers to navigate myself back to Cowra AD.

cheers.

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 2

Yes lessons learned. Not enough speed is FALL. A bit too much is WAIT. . Errr on the safe side. You are going OK  NEVER stop learning.  Nev

Edited by facthunter
expand