Jabiru 4 seater?

AZNA

Turboplanner - the spread sheet makes a valid point that most pilots would/should be aware of.

Unfortunately some of the TAS are a bit questionable and particularly "pedestrian" performing aircraft have been featured. There are many better performing GA & RAA types that could significantly change the cost per Nm

The limitations of the spread sheet do not in any way detract from your point.

The other point I would make (the one that motivated my move away from GA) - most new pilots will find out that is their ability to fill seats diminishes, from the heady days of a new licence (supportive friends/family) over the next few years, to almost nil. So the cost per Pax becomes academic. The cost per hour and cost per Nm become the main factors in most private aviation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Good points there Skip. Also a fairly fast plane like a C-210 can get a lower seat mile than a slower one. Incidents with these types indicate many don't handle the extra speed all that well, but that's training and recency. Washing of speed/height just takes planning and sometimes a fair bit of room.. Nev

Why does the J430 have a listed Empty weight of 345kg & a J230 25kg more at 370kg? I'd have thought adding 2 more seats & seatbelts, Nav lights, transponder etc for GA would make it even heavier than a 230.

There are many better performing GA & RAA types that could significantly change the cost per Nm

The spreadsheet covered aircraft available for hire in the local area at the time.

When you opt to hire aircraft, you can quickly walk away from lemons or non-performers, but the downside is you can only fly in what's on the flightline.

The spreadsheet covered aircraft available for hire in the local area at the time.

When you opt to hire aircraft, you can quickly walk away from lemons or non-performers, but the downside is you can only fly in what's on the flightline.

True o King!

I have been dwelling on the matter of cost/hr & cost/Nm - my aircraft, which has an unusually wide flight envelope has a stall of 34 knots - high speed cruise 120 knots (there are even better ones out there). It is very very economical to fly in the training area or to go X country. Down to about 8 l/h at 50-70 knots and about sub 18 l/h at 120 knots. I usually cruise 100-110 knots for 12.5-13.5 L/h. and flight plan at a conservative catch all 14 L/h.

I wonder how many people factor in the operational costs of the aircraft they are considering for purchase

Often the fixed costs will be the ones that make you wish you didn't own a plane. How many hours you do annually shifts the emphasis. Your fuel cost is something to consider, but not everything. It always stopped me considering a really thirsty plane whatever the price, if it's not earning money. A single seater has crook seat/Km costs but is cheaper other ways. Planes damage easily when you are travelling if they aren't hangared and you get weather Hail etc.Nev

• Agree 1