Showcase milestones.

red750

The Showcase has reached the following milestones:

Over 400 profiles

Over 25,000 views

Over 100 Recreational 3 axis.

90 GA Single Engine.

Maybe being incarcerated in heavy lockdown has some positive outcomes.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Curse you, Red Baron!

Now I will definitely have to get stuck into my task of transcribing the data for Army Registration Numbers of WWll Indian and Harley-Davidson motorcycles into a spreadsheet database.

A huge thank you Red from every site user

I am writing a one page history of each 19th century gold mine in my list.

See, Ian, there is a lot of scope either here or in the other site for non-aviation categories

As a matter of interest, 400 profiles with an average of 5 images per profile, means 2,000 photos to be located, selected and edited. Some need to be cropped, most resized, occasionally straightening, and a few need adjustment to brightness, contrast and colour correction. To locate those suitable images may mean looking at a few thousand images and rejecting most for any number of reasons. Time consuming, but interesting. And I have more for upcoming profiles.

• 6 months later...

You might find these stats interesting. I created some spreadsheets this weekend to monitor the Aircraft showcase and help identify what aircraft still have to be done, and identify any duplications. I added the view count as I did it. This is the summary.

229604285_Aircrafttotals.JPG.df7cdc41b67035b230fa93d71f0e8a7d.JPG

The three most viewed aircraft are the Smyth Sidewinder (307), Bede BD5 (297) and  the Stipa Caproni (288).

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

Another surprising stat is that the most popular aircraft in the Airliners category is the Bristol Type 170 Freighter, with 252 views. It is also by far and away the most viewed photo in my airport-data.com gallery.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I try and avoid using photos from airliners.com, even though they are some of the best, and sometimes the only photos of a particular aircraft, because I know about their copyright rules. However recently, when I search for an aircraft and select Images, if I click on an image from airliners.net I get the error message below. I can see the search thumbnail, but not the large picture.

679835295_error1011.thumb.JPG.4932b86f9f2496883fb16313762870d3.JPG

I have just updated the above spreadsheets, and the total views as at today is 67,327.

• 4 weeks later...

I have now completed 750 profiles, in addition to O.M.E's 6. I might take a break for a while, as it's becoming harder to find aircraft to profile, and my wife is sick of me spending so much time on the computer.

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

It started out as a challenge from former member Robbo who suggested me to Ian. It became an enjoyable passion, as you put it, and during the long lockdown, it kinda saved my sanity and helped stave off Alzheimers. May even have prevented depression when the Men's Shed was closed due to Covid. Just think, if I'd been paid $2 per profile, and thats's way below any normal hourly rate, I'd be $1500 richer. My donation to the site.

The numbers are actually quite a few more than that, because I had done a few on an older version of the forum which couldn't be transferred, and had to be redone.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Aircraft section is still popular - here are the latest figures as at 2/7/21.

1094506014_Aircraftstats2-7-21.JPG.df0bd8097fc425a826f385cee3ca3fa8.JPG

Ian, any progress on getting these stats off the system without having to enter them into spreadsheets?

• 4 months later...

The Men's Shed opened for the first time since lockdown 6. I took my laptop ,and with the internet on the Shed PC and Excel on my laptop, I came up with the current stats. There has to be a better way than transcribing figures for over 4 hours.

image.thumb.png.797129c29e13279c6bed67bb78e22f79.png

• 11 months later...

Total profiles has now reached.... 1,400.     That's too many to sit and enter the view counts into spreadsheets. Someone needs to get a computer to do that.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...