Rotax 912 pricing

skippydiesel

14 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Don't want to get /start a debate - but as I said no real competition 😊

Maybe they can split the factory into two companies so you have your choice of Rotax engines *shrugs*

Edited by danny_galaga

What's wrong with the usual anti seize products?  And just tension the plugs properly as other engines recommend? The main thing is to not grab on the aluminium threads and wreck them when you take the plug out. Nev

6 minutes ago, facthunter said:

What's wrong with the usual anti seize products?  And just tension the plugs properly as other engines recommend? The main thing is to not grab on the aluminium threads and wreck them when you take the plug out. Nev

My theory is that "Wacker", being another German company was somehow connected to Rotax (perhaps a directors interest) and they found a way to use and sell it on their aircraft engines.

Being a "factory designated" product tied everyone's hands in the certified, dealer, distributor, technician field.

12 minutes ago, facthunter said:

It's just what Rotax specify....I work on a lot of Euro stuff and every manufacturer of every different component has their own specification for everything from threadlockers to paints and primers. So one aircraft has a heap of different products....something special for most different components, even though it will be the same colour the brand and spec of the paint is different. Sealants that do the same thing are different, and adhesives which do the same thing are different.

It drives you insane have a consumables locker full of stuff that does the same things, but you aren't approved to swap them around.

• Like 1

I use Permatex anti seize on my plug threads. One $15.00 tube will last a lifetime. US made and combines copper, aluminium and graphite lubricant blends so is electrically conductive, corrosion, salt, & moisture resistant. Good for up to 870 deg C. Why you need some overpriced manufacturer recommended product just because they have some deal with the supplier is a con.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

• 2 years later...

I just found this thread after stumbling across ParamotorEngines, who sell the Rotax 912ULS for $9500USD. On enquiry, they said they'll ship to Australia for ~$500USD. Converting the $10k total to AUD and adding GST I get ~$16600. Since this is so cheap I assume I must be missing something, is this legitimate?

Also some comments were made about the local distributors maybe not wanting to support a Rotax purchased elsewhere, but why would they not just take the opportunity to make money on parts and labour? Unless they are typically backlogged with work, in which case prioritising those who bought engines through them makes sense. 

Thanks in advance!

25 minutes ago, Jackson said:

I just found this thread after stumbling across ParamotorEngines, who sell the Rotax 912ULS for $9500USD. On enquiry, they said they'll ship to Australia for ~$500USD. Converting the $10k total to AUD and adding GST I get ~$16600. Since this is so cheap I assume I must be missing something, is this legitimate?

Also some comments were made about the local distributors maybe not wanting to support a Rotax purchased elsewhere, but why would they not just take the opportunity to make money on parts and labour? Unless they are typically backlogged with work, in which case prioritising those who bought engines through them makes sense. 

Thanks in advance!

Wow!!!!!!!

Just checked out the web site.

Can it be a genuine retailer??

Are they stolen motors?

If true, not some sort of sicko joke/scam, B Flood will need to take a Bex

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Paramotor

It must be very light,  so possibility of No accessories, 

spacesailor

Listed below is what they said comes with the $9500 engine (copied from email). "Exhaust sockets and nuts" doesn't sound like a complete exhaust, but if the rest of the engine is that cheap then adding an exhaust surely can't add too much. 

- Integrated reduction gear box (2.43:1) with slipper clutch
- Heavy duty electric starter and starter relay
- Regulator/Rectifier
- Electronic dual ignition with RFI suppression
- 2 carburetors
- Fire rated Stratoflex 101 fuel hoses with fuel return
- Stainless steel exhaust sockets with lock nuts
- Oil tank with UNF (AN8) Fittings
- 2 sensors for coolant temperature
- 1 sensor for oil temperature
- 1 oil pressure sensor
- UNF (AN8) oil pump inlet connection
- Coolant expansion tank with pressure cap

3 minutes ago, onetrack said:

SCAM! ....... SCAM ....... SCAM!!

You should KNOW, that any deal that looks TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE .... is always a SCAM!!

Jabiru have posted an alert about these same scammers offering Gen 4 engines on the cheap!!  BE WARNED!!

https://jabiru.net.au/

Damn it! Thanks for that mate, it really did sound too good to be true.

• Like 1

They are extremely cunning and sophisticated scammers. The scammers get smoother every year - but the end game is simply to part you from your money, and give you nothing in return.

Don't worry, despite myself being pretty savvy and old enough to know better - I've just been scammed out of $744 by scammers posing as a trucking transport provider.

They were listed on Freightseek and provided an ABN, a Malvern Vic address, an Australian landline number - and they even provided me with a genuine TNT consignment note!! 

But the whole operation was a cunning scam, the con note was the job simply booked, and the job never actually carried through. The Malvern address was simply a rented "business address", the landline was never answered, and the bloke who called me, called from a "private number", so I couldn't call him back. The ABN belonged to another transport company with a slightly different name. 

I should have known when the scammer called me at 8:00PM with an Indian accent. But so many businesses have "offshored" their admin, you can never really know if they are genuine overseas admin, or scammers posing as admin. 

This is Paramotors scam website - smoothly structured, well written in good English, great photos - and ALL FAKE!!

https://paramotorengines.com/12-aircraft-engine

The photo of the Jabiru engines wrapped in plastic has been stolen from this blog, below - always do a Google "image search" when checking for scams. The original image is almost always found in a Google image search.

http://airqueensland.blogspot.com/2015/11/jabiru-aircraft-and-engines-part-2.html

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

On 28/08/2020 at 5:28 PM, Kyle Communications said:

I just found where the engine as a complete unit is exempt of duty but any parts that come in are not exempt of duty...mine were pistons and cylinders so got stung with duty

Tarrif 8407.10.00 is the bit where the whole engine is exempt they stung me on 8409.10.00

979583575_ScreenShot2020-08-28at17_27_11.png.891f6eb4011242f0f9e0a99bbb52516c.png

Unless its changed in last 12 months, aircraft parts are exempt from duty; its written in the customs tariff matrix

7 hours ago, onetrack said:

SCAM! ....... SCAM ....... SCAM!!

You should KNOW, that any deal that looks TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE .... is always a SCAM!!

Jabiru have posted an alert about these same scammers offering Gen 4 engines on the cheap!!  BE WARNED!!

https://jabiru.net.au/

Another potential indicator is the very round numbers: almost nothing costs exactly $9500 (though in this case nothing does!)
Somebody recently tried to hit me up for a very small amount of bitcoin I hadn't purchased: the cost was to be exactly 300pounds....

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

8 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

parts are not exempt   complete engines are...I have the empty wallet to prove it

Its under a different customs code..they knobled me for a big bore kit..and they quoted the paragraph

You got scammed; read the right hand column 8807.30.00 - Other Parts... - Free

3C727F59-40F5-461D-8D39-843D5245F6D1.jpeg

In the end its the same old story; they do and tax as they please when they please... when you argue, the next shipment may be taxed more, or substantially delayed for infinitim.

Edited by Area-51

The customs tariff matrix is a quagmire of navigational insanity; these people would never pass their Cross Country endorsement... no cross referencing notes; nada... a fantastic sand pit of baby poo.

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, facthunter said:

WE don't KNOW that It's CRAP.  but I wouldn't assume it's as good as the Rotax either. At least you get what you pay for though.  Nev

Only one way to tell.. we all chip in, buy three Lotax 912 and three Rotax 912 and run them all flat out side by side until they fail 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1