Four Point Seat Belts Vs Lap Sash in RAA aircraft

SSCBD

Before you prescribe things for a use, workout just what problem you are attempting to address. Not general ones.. "You would be safer IF.you had one on."(.speak).. specific instances when the FIX you propose would have been very appropriate. in our type of planes. Helmets ARE appropriate for parachuting speedboat racing waterskiing Racing go Karts Snow skiing, Ice Hockey etc. Fire or going through a wire fence are more risky than dropping on your head when the plane tips over and you release the seat belt. That's the only instance I can recall in a lifetime of flying where a helmet would have definitely helped the bloke in a tiger Moth that it happened to. Nev

Having read a few studies they generally report that in fatal aircraft crashes, multiple injuries is the primary cause of death in about 42% of cases, followed by head injuries at about 22%.

Non-fatal hospitalisations in aviation related injuries report the most common injury to be lower limb followed by head injuries.

It has been said that in the case of the crash at Aratula earlier this year the the pilot would have walked away, rather than airlifted and hospitalised had he been wearing a helmet. That's enough for me.

But, I would rather it remain personal choice than an enforceable law. I choose to and am fine with those who choose not to.

I will also add that an aviation helmet is quite light (assuming you don't have NVGs mounted on it) and must not restrict your vision or head movement by design.

Edited by M61A1
  • Agree 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi M61

yeah. well choice is what RA is about so I certainly would not support any mandatory helmets.

road bike helmets are pretty good for vision. Some of the MTB half face helmets are good, they don't interfere with peripheral vision- which is quite important for balance at low speeds and spatial awareness (of trees) .

$300 would buy you a top end road bike helmet. But it won't look as cool as a $3000 helmet (but it will be cooler in temperature to wear).

if anyone is contemplating one, be aware that different manufacturers fit different shaped heads ! U need to try a half a dozen brands on to figure that out.

-glen

crowenterprises.com has great belt sets for a reasonable price, also some interesting advice, having seen some of the worst belts in service in GA aircraft.

Also wearing a helmet just makes good sense, any sources for suitable ones ( not big bone domes) ?

(but it will be cooler in temperature to wear).

I have not found a helmet to be particularly hot, in fact I find that keeping the sun off my head is always cooler than no hat, and my white helmet is not hotter than my black caps.