Arched containers cover fabric hangar?

NT5224

There's nothing "fascist" about laws and regulations that are designed to ensure adequate safety in the handling and storage of dangerous goods.

This is worldwide standard practice, as evidenced by global transport systems and procedures, UN hazardous goods numbers and standardised firefighting and containment procedures.

Your alternative is complete lawlessness and total disregard of safety and regulation, as in the likes of the Port disaster in Lebanon. Not only an explosion causing multiple billions in losses, now followed by a major tyre and oil fire.

A few OH&S Nazis have certainly gone overboard, and God knows, I've experienced that in the mining industry - but OH&S should be all about education and ensuring compliance with satisfactory safety standards, without using jackboot tactics or penalties as a tool.

Penalties are there purely for those who constantly defy any attempt to make them obey laws and regulations, that are designed to stop innocent parties from suffering loss and injury, and even fatalities.

• Like 1

I’ve had my hanger for 5 years now. It’s actually a greenhouse, but has handled all weather thrown at it. australian made, although we erected it ourselves.[ATTACH alt=7C969D76-9EC6-4BFD-9B1B-E01E1A98E8CB.jpeg]56103[/ATTACH][ATTACH alt=C10D7676-B44F-4D16-9301-E49F8C7E5F72.jpeg]56104[/ATTACH]

Bloody impressed with this. Simple. Well done.

We push it out, turn 90degrees away from hangar before starting it. After flying stop again 90degrees to hangar opening, turn it around and push back in. Guess you could nose or tail in, we’ve always done it this way.

The hangar is augered into the ground So, in theory, isn’t a permanent structure. This is in case the councils ever start getting involved. The front is the door which rolls with a winder. There are guide poles that can be seen in photo that are removable.

they are from David Gill hothouses in Bagshot, Vic. Not expensive, and can be different sizes. Mines 6m deep and 10m wide.

good luck,

Jenny

I’m having trouble understand how you get it out. There’s no room it seems between the 2 uprights. Does the structure remain stable in that case during egress/ ingress when you pull the 2 or 1 of the 2 columns. Please note I’m prepared to feel stupid here... might be something obvious. I’m keen to know because I’m working right now on farm runways and temporary storage before pulling the trigger on a major hanger build...or not.

I’m having trouble understand how you get it out. There’s no room it seems between the 2 uprights. Does the structure remain stable in that case during egress/ ingress when you pull the 2 or 1 of the 2 columns. Please note I’m prepared to feel stupid here... might be something obvious. I’m keen to know because I’m working right now on farm runways and temporary storage before pulling the trigger on a major hanger build...or not.

Looks like just pull the two mid width pole set up and out of the painted holders at ground level. Great idea by the look of it.

• Like 1

A few OH&S Nazis have certainly gone overboard

True but the real problem is "creep". The problem is that "safe" is not an absolute,. It is a boundary-less term. When combined with "continuous improvement programs" there is real potential for the definition of "safe" to be moved to the ridiculous, which in turn leads to administrative overload and box ticking.

An example of this this is the "working with children/disabled" accreditation requirements. The presumption of innocence, a cornerstone of our justice system, was thrown out the window. Despite this, perpetrators are still working in these areas and hundreds of thousands are paying millions for an endorsement of their innocence. It is reduced to box ticking by bureaucrats and I have been unable to establish how many people have their accreditation refused out of the hundreds of thousands of applications.

Have a look at this video

• Like 2

True but the real problem is "creep". The problem is that "safe" is not an absolute,. It is a boundary-less term. When combined with "continuous improvement programs" there is real potential for the definition of "safe" to be moved to the ridiculous, which in turn leads to administrative overload and box ticking.

An example of this this is the "working with children/disabled" accreditation requirements. The presumption of innocence, a cornerstone of our justice system, was thrown out the window. Despite this, perpetrators are still working in these areas and hundreds of thousands are paying millions for an endorsement of their innocence. It is reduced to box ticking by bureaucrats and I have been unable to establish how many people have their accreditation refused out of the hundreds of thousands of applications.

Have a look at this video

I have an example of the opposite here. Living in Taiwan 15 years ago. Aircon install on 3rd floor. The guy tied a rope around his waist and tied it to the bedroom door knob. He felt safe I guess. Taiwan has become a little more strict. No longer allowed to touch the secretaries bottom for instance.

• Haha 1

Yes, the poles in the front are only a guide for the door, and to provide support for the door in windy conditions. It is not supporting the hangar at all. Very simply undo 3 ties which attach to upright poles on each far side of outside edge of hangar (these ties are to stop wind flap), then lift out 4 guide poles and push the plane out. We live at the base of my Buller so you can imagine it gets all kinds of weather here and quite hot in summer, never leaked, split, torn, very happy with the whole product. I believe the fabric is called canvacon ? I do get a bit of condensation on the wing tops at times when it’s foggy.

OME windbreak turbulence doesn’t seem to be much of an issue, although I do tend to fly when there’s not much xwind. By the way, thanks for the advice re the fuel. Drums nearly finished so are considering not refilling it and just keep a jerrycan on hand. Whats a suitable way of cleaning out a drum so it can be used in a horse paddock?

• Like 1

Yes, the poles in the front are only a guide for the door, and to provide support for the door in windy conditions. It is not supporting the hangar at all. Very simply undo 3 ties which attach to upright poles on each far side of outside edge of hangar (these ties are to stop wind flap), then lift out 4 guide poles and push the plane out. We live at the base of my Buller so you can imagine it gets all kinds of weather here and quite hot in summer, never leaked, split, torn, very happy with the whole product. I believe the fabric is called canvacon ? I do get a bit of condensation on the wing tops at times when it’s foggy.

OME windbreak turbulence doesn’t seem to be much of an issue, although I do tend to fly when there’s not much xwind. By the way, thanks for the advice re the fuel. Drums nearly finished so are considering not refilling it and just keep a jerrycan on hand. Whats a suitable way of cleaning out a drum so it can be used in a horse paddock?

Excellent. I’ll have both aircraft 1km from ocean when on the island..Info on condensation also good. This reinforces my rough plan to have an aircraft condom of something really light. Maybe just clear plastic and run a dehumidifier in each. Hose to dump water outside...Solar/ wind system so no cost/ energy renewables used.

Drums.... had a friend lost half his nose. Know we all know... still... worth reminding. Be super careful with empty drums. They are more explosive than full ones.

I also think it’s a bit uptight to get too carried away about a little fuel on the ground. However.... a degreaser squirted in or just soapy water might do the job. Wouldn’t be as much oil/ petrol on ground as a pressure wash of tractor.

Drums nearly finished so are considering not refilling it and just keep a jerrycan on hand.

It's obviously been convenient for you to have the drum. Why not simply put a bund where the drum is now? A pallet is 1200 x 1200

If you put down a concrete pad 1600 mm x 1600 mm then build a wall of concrete blocks you will have a suitable bund for a drum on a pallet. You would need 16 of 390 x 190 x 190 blocks (@ $3.60) and 16 of 390 x 90 x 190 (@ $3.30). The pad doesn't have to be very thick, maybe 75 mm with some chicken wire laid in for reinforcing.

(Prices at Bunnings)

1599965517889.png.a22c06923ce33625d2bc3aab67ac559c.png

Shajen.... I’ve been searching for greenhouses and little success on your style. The facts you have of 5 years and supports itself with the middle poles removed is really good. Would you mind sharing the supplier info..

Note...if all goes to plan I’ll have a runway on French island by December. Fly visit..

I move the runway all over farm. Here’s the latest. I plan on mowing and then adding soil to a strip say 10m wide. by adding soil I’m meaning just fill the odd low spots and not try to put in an all weather runway. Just a good weather flat (ish) surface with no surprises to either side.

It’ll just be a bit rougher either side and planes will have to bounce their way back to the middle is my thinking. There is a shed that’s quite large there. Height and span for aircraft would be a pain. I think the greenhouse is ideal. Can also then move runway to some other part of farm if it isn’t the right spot and move the greenhouse easily.

8A59E0F8-FF07-4E96-A770-E8BC493C4E9C.jpeg.5d6ed41bec0e8be25bc75d650889417a.jpeg

Shajen.... I’ve been searching for greenhouses and little success on your style. The facts you have of 5 years and supports itself with the middle poles removed is really good. Would you mind sharing the supplier info..

Note...if all goes to plan I’ll have a runway on French island by December. Fly visit..

I move the runway all over farm. Here’s the latest. I plan on mowing and then adding soil to a strip say 10m wide. by adding soil I’m meaning just fill the odd low spots and not try to put in an all weather runway. Just a good weather flat (ish) surface with no surprises to either side.

It’ll just be a bit rougher either side and planes will have to bounce their way back to the middle is my thinking. There is a shed that’s quite large there. Height and span for aircraft would be a pain. I think the greenhouse is ideal. Can also then move runway to some other part of farm if it isn’t the right spot and move the greenhouse easily.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="8A59E0F8-FF07-4E96-A770-E8BC493C4E9C.jpeg]56316[/ATTACH]

It’s from David Gill greenhouses in Bagshot, Vic. Not too far from Bendigo. And, yes, wed love the idea of visiting you at some stage, and seeing the Nynja?

Thanks Oneshot. There are a few links to different ones I missed and notice now on review....Skim reading!

Shajen, yes and yes. All good. I’ve noticed in past endeavours. The best ones are shared. I’m hoping group trips, fly ins etc will be part of my future. This site probsbly or definitely good to organise. The quicksilver will be fantastic for slow open air flying around the islands as well.

We are in process of finishing up bnb on French island. Fly in will be part of its future.