Cessna runway excursion

That person has no idea about operating a vehicle. It is so easy to get a vehicle moving, but a hard lesson to learn is how to stop.

He adds power initially, but forgets to take it off. In panic he tries to steer in the same way that he would steer a car, forgetting about using the rudder pedals to steer. The best thing that he does is to try to get some weight off the nose wheel by using up elevator.

You've got to feel sorry for the poor bugger.

• Like 1

after I land and turn back in the taxiway (with nose wheel ) , I usually try and steer at least for 1 second with ailerons.....honestly.

and I love differential brakes for tight turns ! super.

They way he rammed the throttle forward, when stuff had already gone wrong suggested to me that he was trying to cut the power. Also, he was pulling back on the yoke, which *might* have meant that he had previously ridden a horse. I don't think he did it to take weight off the front wheel! When I started to fly, the instructor pointed out to me that the throttle worked the opposite way to a tractor. It was important that they told me that because I was able to make a note about what muscle memory might have me do. Panic is debilitating. I once froze in a 4WD driving down hill, and pilots have frozen at the controls...

• Agree 1

so this guy is possibly a primary producer ? IE horse and tractor ?

either way, a bad outcome.

Where are the brakes on that machine ?

You're looking at Human Factors there, with essential responses not yet imprinted into his subconscious.

• Like 1

Yes. There are always reasons why people do these things although they may seem just Bl##dy stupid to others I probably drove some of my flying compatriots and students the irrits when I'd say "THINK AEROPLANE" but it is what it's about. Situational Awareness. Yes.. Revert to known response pattern form a past experience under a stress situation? Yes. Nev

• Like 1

Tractors newer than about 1980 have the throttle working in the correct sense, push for power. They even have power shift gear levers working in the correct sense, pull back slower gear unlike cars.

I'm afraid the pen might be talking about something different, like the tractor being set in a certain gear setting for a certain throttle opening for a certain application.

For example, set the throttle for descent and use the elevators for speed.

In that case the direction of the lever doesn't matter.

I talked to my instructor last week about this. This tractor throttle issue is not uncommon in teaching circles.

I like differential brakes. How about differential throttles for a twin? IE pull back on the pedal hoops with your toes.

Maybe he spends a lot of time on a tractor. The throttle works the opposite way. Other wise I have NO idea... Nev

That’s a bit funny.

I talked to my instructor last week about this. This tractor throttle issue is not uncommon in teaching circles.

I like differential brakes. How about differential throttles for a twin? IE pull back on the pedal hoops with your toes.

I expect the thinking behind this is you’re braking or accelerating and can’t do both. I.e. pull back to accelerate. They each hold the acceleration set unlike a car accelerator. They are cancelled by braking. They aren’t touched by rudder control.

I think it’s easier to have the visual of hand throttles. Can feel or glance at them.

Back to frozen guy. Yeah, almost feel sorry for him. I do. Think one of those dogs that can ride a skateboard could have taken over as copilot and done a bit better through.

I was being flippant/silly-with options for controlling the throttle with your feet, freeing up your hands. ignore me.

Yeah I think you covered this before," essential actions not yet imprinted in his memory"

I wonder how many hours he was before solo ?

I was 18.5 hours of dual , I knew the aircraft pretty well by the time I soloed (last week) . went like clockwork, I think my heartrate was same as resting.

I was being flippant/silly-with options for controlling the throttle with your feet, freeing up your hands. ignore me.

Yeah I think you covered this before," essential actions not yet imprinted in his memory"

I wonder how many hours he was before solo ?

I was 18.5 hours of dual , I knew the aircraft pretty well by the time I soloed (last week) . went like clockwork, I think my heartrate was same as resting.

I’ll go with anything and try to make it work. :)