Seen today enroute Canberra-Melbourne VH-OMS Seabear

Methusala

At around 1230 today we saw a very quiet twin with apparently a T-tail heading S-W over Canberra. This turned out to be a Chaika LLC L65 Seabear. I think that this was designed by Burt Rutan as his ultimate global retirement project. Any comments? Don

• Like 1

Absolutely terrific aircraft, I managed to catch a glimpse at Caboolture and the owner, adventurer Mike Smith even allowed me into the aircraft to sit in the cockpit (and fantasise) absolutely huge in size inside and out. Plenty of room, he even has his own coffee maker inside so he can make his "picalo almond latte's" while he is flying. There is enough room to sleep in the back in complete comfort, huge baggage area and it gets along at about 125 kn at about 35 L per hour or it may be 38 L per hour I can't remember. It is running two Rotax 915 engines and air master propellers. Absolutely unique aircraft with many stories to tell. He also said there were a couple more headed to Australia as well !

Now if he was in Canberra, how did he get out of Victoria ?

Here is a video of the

Very similar to the L-42 in the Showcase. In fact the specs for the L-65 given on aeropedia.com.au are identical wth the specs for the L-42 as found on Wikipedia. Wiki has no record of the L-65.

Michael flew with this bird from England to Australia. We had the honor to host him here in Israel and fly with him over the Sea of Galilee, the Dead Sea and Jerusalem. Michael is a great guy with many unique experiences. 1207380106_2019-11-26Jerusalem-Overthetamplemount.thumb.jpg.8200eaefe998394f67fb4978aed7d551.jpg

• Like 4