CASA Medical exemption

pmccarthy

My medical renewal is coming up and I received the usual from CASA. It contained the following message:

**** Please note: If you are unable to renew or do not wish to currently renew your certificate due to COVID-19 and your current medical certificate expires on or after 01/03/2020 then you will have a 6 month exemption under EX57/20. This is an exemption not an extension, when you renew your medical during or after the exemption period your new medical expiry date will be from the date that you sit your examination with your DAME. Please see below link for more details. https://www.casa.gov.au/about-us/covid-19-advice-industry/exemptions-covid-19 ****

I do not have a degree in philosophy and cannot work out what they are trying to say. I have read the linked data. Can I continue to fly for an additional six months before renewing? What is the practical effect of the difference between an exemption and an extension?

I think this is it.

If you were issued with a medical certificate between 01/03/2019 and 30/04/2020, that certificate will remain current for 6 months after its expected expiry date. That means that anyone whose certificate was issued between 1st March 2019 and (insert today's date) expired between 1st September 2020 and (insert today's date).

Let's say that you can only get an appointment for a medical with a DAME on the xth of October 2020. Then your annual medical certificate will date from the xth of October 2020 and expire on the xth of October 2021.

Where, in the past, you have been renewing your medical in a certain month, in future you will renew your medical on a date at least six months later in the year (plus a couple of weeks if you can't get an appointment closer to the new renewal date).

If you have been able to get an appointment with a DAME after 1/03/2020 and before 1/09/2020, the expiry date of your medical will simply be 12 months after that date of appointment.

• Like 2

I am flying with no medical Peter. (that's no medical, comma, Peter...)

My medical was current as at 1/3/20 and expired about 3 weeks ago. So I get six months exemption from 3 weeks ago - puts me to about end Feb 2021.

Exemption = you don't have to have the thing (at all).

Extension = the thing lives on past its end date to a new end date.

It would appear that you are in the same time frame bracket as me. Your medical was valid as at 1/3/20, expires soon, so exempt for six months.

Grab it while it's there I say, it will add to the abundant evidence that private flying without a medical is safe. Thank you RAAus and GFA peeps for setting that record.

• Like 1

My medical renewal is coming up and I received the usual from CASA. It contained the following message:

**** Please note: If you are unable to renew or do not wish to currently renew your certificate due to COVID-19 and your current medical certificate expires on or after 01/03/2020 then you will have a 6 month exemption under EX57/20. This is an exemption not an extension, when you renew your medical during or after the exemption period your new medical expiry date will be from the date that you sit your examination with your DAME. Please see below link for more details. https://www.casa.gov.au/about-us/covid-19-advice-industry/exemptions-covid-19 ****

I do not have a degree in philosophy and cannot work out what they are trying to say. I have read the linked data. Can I continue to fly for an additional six months before renewing? What is the practical effect of the difference between an exemption and an extension?

I followed the link contained n your link. Does this help?

An exemption applies automatically to every holder of a CASA issued medical certificate that was valid on 1 March 2020.

The exemption effectively extends the expiry date by six months.

All existing requirements, conditions or limitations (however expressed) of the medical certificate must continue to be complied with.

The exemption operates by authorising licence holders and other aviation authorisation holders to fly without a current medical certificates for a period of six months beyond the certificates’ current expiry date. That means you can defer your next medical assessment if necessary.

• Like 1

I think we should all be exempt from extensions so if you are already exempted, an extension won't mean you continue to be exempt even though the extension of the exemption is not supposed exempt you from being extended beyond the original extension exemption. Now that is quite clear as CASA will attest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Winner 2

Errr? Is that so Sir Humphrey?

Yes, Minister. Unfortunately, although the answer was indeed clear, simple, and straightforward, there is some difficulty in justifiably assigning to it the epithet, "clear", you applied to the statement, inasmuch as the precise correlation between the information you communicated and the facts, insofar as they can be determined and demonstrated, is such as to cause epistemological problems, of sufficient magnitude as to lay upon the logical and semantic resources of the English language a heavier burden than they can reasonably be expected to bear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The way I read it my medical which runs to enf of Feb next year will extend to end of August. I was going to let it lapse as I no longer own a GA plane, but then I would have normally had to tell RAAus that I was using my drivers licence medical for my flying, until my next drivers medical was due. Now I can ignore that. The same goes for my proficiency check which was my GA BFR, that can carrry on for six months.

• Like 1

I think this is it.

If you were issued with a medical certificate between 01/03/2019 and 30/04/2020, that certificate will remain current for 6 months after its expected expiry date. That means that anyone whose certificate was issued between 1st March 2019 and (insert today's date) expired between 1st September 2020 and (insert today's date).

Let's say that you can only get an appointment for a medical with a DAME on the xth of October 2020. Then your annual medical certificate will date from the xth of October 2020 and expire on the xth of October 2021.

Where, in the past, you have been renewing your medical in a certain month, in future you will renew your medical on a date at least six months later in the year (plus a couple of weeks if you can't get an appointment closer to the new renewal date).

If you have been able to get an appointment with a DAME after 1/03/2020 and before 1/09/2020, the expiry date of your medical will simply be 12 months after that date of appointment.

Not quite correct. This is from CASA AVMED website: Exemptions and relief measures: COVID-19

An exemption applies automatically to every holder of a CASA issued medical certificate that was valid on 1 March 2020.

The exemption effectively extends the expiry date by six months. My Class 2 expired on the 23rd of July but is now valid until the 23rd of January 2021 and I doubt if I will renew it.