Better in cockpit recording

BirdDog

Hey all,

So currently I am running a GoPro in the cockpit and it records both video and the audio from our Comms. However, it's a bit of a pain with cards and batteries etc, and so was just wondering if there is a solution (other than go pro) that sort of works like a Dash Cam. Just loops if need be, but can still connect to Comms?

What are you guys all using?

Cheers

J

Hey all,

So currently I am running a GoPro in the cockpit and it records both video and the audio from our Comms. However, it's a bit of a pain with cards and batteries etc, and so was just wondering if there is a solution (other than go pro) that sort of works like a Dash Cam. Just loops if need be, but can still connect to Comms?

What are you guys all using?

Cheers

J

I too am not satisfied with my old GoPro, but persist with it. A new battery was inexpensive and greatly improved duration, but I also plug in an external battery to extend recording time. Recording can be set to loop.

The memory card has also needed replacing every few years.

Another problem: it’s major role has always been to record test flights but lately the picture quality hasn’t been good enough to read the instruments.

I too am not satisfied with my old GoPro, but persist with it. A new battery was inexpensive and greatly improved duration, but I also plug in an external battery to extend recording time. Recording can be set to loop.

The memory card has also needed replacing every few years.

Another problem: it’s major role has always been to record test flights but lately the picture quality hasn’t been good enough to read the instruments.

On long flights I connect a USB cord into the GoPro that gives continuous power.

• Like 1

I tried one of t hose cables that charges the gopro and taps off the audio. The gopro has an avc function on the audio that (at leaston my old gopros) can't be turned off. That automatic volume control would crank the volume up when there wasn't any talky-talk going on and all it did was to amplify the electrical noise to nuisance levels.

Sooooo...

I reverted back to my digital voice recorder. I have to sync the audio to the video when I'm editing, but my video editor software makes that pretty easy.

I purchased a recording Cable from Nflightcam a while ago and generally it works well with the Gopro Hero4 Silver, however the USB charging part does not seem to charge the Camera when connected to a portable battery pack.

Not an issue as long as the camera is fully charged before flying. Audio quality is excellent and records all headset and radio conversations which is great for post flight review.

Company had no answer as to why it wouldnt charge the camera, they are in the USA and difficult to talk to.

Come on buddy I just bought the last cable you recommended and it works really well!!! Cant go changing setup now!! I run a larger battery pack to that and it seems to have plenty of life if all else fails it can be plugged into 12v so technically it could run forever! I get about 4 hours recording out of a 128 GB card. I don't know about the size of your fuel tanks or bladder but 4 hours is about the limit for me!

Come on buddy I just bought the last cable you recommended and it works really well!!! Cant go changing setup now!! I run a larger battery pack to that and it seems to have plenty of life if all else fails it can be plugged into 12v so technically it could run forever! I get about 4 hours recording out of a 128 GB card. I don't know about the size of your fuel tanks or bladder but 4 hours is about the limit for me!

What type of battery pack?

The system works well, the only issue is charging the camera.

What type of battery pack?

The system works well, the only issue is charging the camera.

Any battery pack for phones ETC. Even just plug into 12 v...

Thanks all.

I know a couple of my mates use a dash cam, but it does not record the audio. I like the fact the GoPro does both. So If I can find a solution where I can pump the audio feed into the DashCam, we would have a winner.

I might buy one and see if I can do some surgery.

• Like 1