Aircraft hire

K5054

Your insurer might be very interested in any hiring out. They'll probably want any hirer to meet certain licence, type currency, and hours minimums.

Where an insurer requires named pilots, then it's your obligation to provide the info to the insurer. Insurers might also require any hirer to have a check flight, (see CASR Part 61.385), to ensure they meet general competency standards. You'll also have to advise them of any instructors qualifications and experience. Try not to DYO pilot checking, (unless you are an experienced pilot yourself, &/or, an instructor).

Hiring out to your mates under a very casual arrangement can often lead to problems and subsequently to loss of friendships.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2

Tail wheel types particularly, the insurer is very interested in the experience of any pilot who flys it.. A hired plane can become very second hand and you don't really know if it's been handled badly (flown outside the approved envelope). Nev.

• Agree 1

Hi,

can anyone tell me if I am allowed to hire out my aircraft to someone for private hire as in they can use my aircraft but pay me an hourly rate for its use? (VH rego)

In my opinion, not worth the drama when all goes wrong!

Insurance will be the main issue.

• Like 1

In my opinion, not worth the drama when all goes wrong!

Insurance will be the main issue.

Better off getting your mate to hire from a flying school which will save you the angst of worrying how he is operating your aircraft and protects you against possible litigation in the event of an accident.

I was under the impression that any aircraft being hired would also need to be on a maintenance program such as would apply to a flying school and be a 23/24 registered aircraft. Also bearing in mind insurance issues.

Yes, you put your aircraft on the flightline with a Flying School/Club, they hire it out and take care of the legals.

I was under the impression that any aircraft being hired would also need to be on a maintenance program such as would apply to a flying school and be a 23/24 registered aircraft. Also bearing in mind insurance issues.

Yes, maintained by an L2 and be factory built for "hire and reward".

If previously privately maintained, an L2 is required to sign off before being put into hire.

I'm unsure of the insurance aspects, but you'd have to be crazy not to insure in that situation.

What if I just "Borrow it" and pay a fair amount for the fuel I use??? If it's not a commercial agreement no one is making a profit just paying what I use?

In the 80's I owned a Piper Cherokee. I hired it out. Continually dirty. Watched as one pilot continued to attempt to start engine with loud grinding noise coming from engine. Did damage to starting system that would have been far less than if he had aborted the flight. Never rented my Mooney. Most guys I know that have rented aircraft to help pay for ownership end up just selling the aircraft. I considered renting the Mooney by putting it online with a flying club. The terms that they wanted were so one sided. So I sold the aircraft rather than not use it when the wife refused to leave the ground!!!!

• Like 1

What if I just "Borrow it" and pay a fair amount for the fuel I use??? If it's not a commercial agreement no one is making a profit just paying what I use?

When it all goes well no one cares, but when things go south that's when it starts to unravel. ......

I guess when there's no paperwork or receipts, the hirer can just deny everything and walk away with a smile.....

• Agree 2