The coveted Comanche...

After reading all the comments on this thread, I still maintain the good old C182 does  the job. 

Plenty still flying, parts available, good payload, good turn of speed, comfortable for pax, etc etc

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

182 RG? *Technically*, just because a plane is $10k more than it was does not mean it is bad value.

I have been thinking a little about the R182. A bit faster than your typical 182, but it has that gear...Still, I haven't specifically ruled it out either. There's two for sale in Oz I've found, $115K + GST and a 5SOH for $185K w/o GST. If I did have to go the Cessna route, I would probably settle for the fixed-gear version, if only to simplify maintenance. Still not as good a useful load as a Comanche and bit slower for the same fuel, so you need more fuel to actually get anywhere,  but arguably much better parts availability and LAME knowledge. SIDS isn't a deal-breaker but certainly something to be considerate of unfortunately.

One potential benefit to a 182 is the Dynon SkyView package is available (as it is for the Comanche) but the autopilot is also available. In saying that, Horsham Avionics I have since found, is able to do a full install in the Comanche. $$$ though, but worth it if the base airframe is priced right...

41 minutes ago, Jim McDowall said:

Why has no-one mentioned a Mooney?

For me, the big issue is size, even for the J-models. I had seriously looked at one until I found out how small they are. They're economical, certainly, but there's an annual AD for structural corrosion, and from memory, you can't install an EI on the IO-360 as it has that funny dual-magneto setup on it. There's a nice J-model for sale in WA for $132K that would be good, but it wouldn't be my first choice unless I could find a CAR35 engineer to work with to install an EFI system on it...

A MooneySpace member posted this video showing the comparatively small cockpit and it was enough to put me off one unless it was the best of the bad options. Kinda like politicians that way, I guess...

6 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Great video  - What's the repeated many times,  the right hand down in the foot well movement ?.

IT's an F-Model, so that'd be the early hydraulic flap system I suspect.