Jump to content

Christmas Shopping


Recommended Posts

Remember if you support Black Friday shopping in Australia this year, buy ONLY Australian made products or at least ONLY buy from Australian owned businesses...please share to everyone so we can kick start our own country

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a roll of packing tape this week. It proclaimed that the company was all Australian owned. But the tape was made in China. So it's not the Australian-owned companies you should deal with, but you should only buy things that are made from a very high percentage of Australian products.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get really angry about the massive volume of imported fish served up here - which is absolute rubbish, most of it bred in fish farms in the Mekong River - which has 400 Industrial factories pouring untreated industrial waste into the River.

 

Cafes, Pubs and Restuarants are supposed to be following a "code of conduct" whereby they are supposed to advise on menus where the fish being served, comes from. Very few do.

The missus and I make a point of asking every time we sit down to eat, where their fish comes from. Most of the time, the waiters and waitresses have no idea, and they have to go check with the chef. 9 times out of 10, the answer is "overseas". 

 

The eateries put up fancy names to try and disguise the fish origins - such as "Snapper", "Barramundi", "Hake", "Blue Grenadier", etc - when 90% of the time, it's just Asian rubbish that they can buy for 1/3rd the cost of local fish.

The stuff is foul-tasting, foul-looking, with a brownish or greyish flesh - and I always end up with an upset stomach if I eat it.

 

Naturally, the Asian takeways only use this fish in all the fish dishes, and they usually disguise the lousy flavour with spices or thick batter or sugar.

 

We are surrounded by the greatest Oceans in the world, with the best fish stocks, and the best-tasting fish, and we should not be importing rubbishy Asian fish - particularly when it's of such dubious quality and taste.

 

Make sure you buy only Australian seafood, and support our local fishing people and businesses.

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-16/do-you-know-where-your-barramundi-comes-from/11585426

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, onetrack said:

We are surrounded by the greatest Oceans in the world, with the best fish stocks, and the best-tasting fish, and we should not be importing rubbishy Asian fish

That's because we export all our high quality, healthy fish to Asia for the rich Chinese, Japanese and South Koreans.

 

Perhaps we should all go to supermarkets with our Smartphones and take photographs of the labels on foodstuffs that show that Coles and Woolies are selling us non-Australian products.

 

Another thing I'd like to see are the figures on how much of the extra money Coles and Woolies added to the "Drought Relief" milk actually ended up with the blokes pulling the teats. And that money would have only gone to farmers who sold their milk to the big milk companies like Dairy Farmers, Peters and Devondale. Those who sold to independent milk companies would not have got a razoo. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Export markets usually get the best and we get what is left  (if any)." Standard of living" (not Gross  National Product) is the best  measure of how we are going.. Food is not fresh, even when local.  Seafood suffers most . It's nearly OFF by  the time you get it.. Nev

Link to post
Share on other sites

A Veterinarian friend travelled to SE Asia and looked at all things animal during her trip.  Came back to OZ refusing to eat fish any more. Pen reared fish fed on human excrement.

Says it all..

Ken

  • Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The wife put wrapped cheese slices on the shopping list she sent me out with today. I grew up eating Kraft Cheddar Cheese which came wrapped in silver paper in a cardboard box, so I reached for the Kraft Cheese slices. I decided to have a look for the origin of the product. "Made from at least 20% Australian content."  Where does the other 80% come from? On the other hand, Woolworth's own brand claimed 90% Australian content. I did notice that Coon Cheese was from Warnambool, but let;s not reignite to "coon" thing.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kenlsa said:

Pen reared fish fed on human excrement.

I was buying fish fingers, too. The Woolies ones were beside the Birds Eye ones, and labelled "wild caught".  The were also labelled "Made in China" 

 

Aye, Aye, Cap'n Birdseye! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...