Another jet pack flyer sighted at LAX - at 6500'

A new investigation has been launched over a second sighting of a jet pack flyer, trespassing into the flight path to Los Angeles Intl Airport - at 6500'.

The first one was sighted only 300 yds from the landing aircraft, the distance to the second one sighted is not mentioned.

The simple fact that someone is getting to this height in a jet pack is more than intriguing, it should be making aviation development headlines.

Surely someone must know who is developing this jetpack. An American Colin Furze, maybe?

https://www.traveller.com.au/lax-second-sighting-of-person-wearing-jet-pack-prompts-new-investigation-h1rf5k

56 minutes ago, Downunder said:

6500 without any sort of wing freaks me out a bit.....(100% reliance on engine)

But probably no different risk wise to 1000 ft.

It just takes a bit longer to die....

Not that much longer.  About 25seconds but I suppose every second counts. 

Well that's one way to log multi-engine turbine time. Remines me of the Cri-Cri with two AMT jet's instead of the JPX engines.

Reckon an SAAA AP would sign off on it? Or could you try to get it in RAAus under CAO 95.10?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, KRviator said:

Well that's one way to log multi-engine turbine time. Remines me of the Cri-Cri with two AMT jet's instead of the JPX engines.

Reckon an SAAA AP would sign off on it? Or could you try to get it in RAAus under CAO 95.10?

Not under 95.10.  It needs 1m^2 per 30kg it mtow. A cri cri has 3.1m of wi g so a mtow in 95.10 of 100kg.  The plane weight is 78 so not possible.  

I saw a video on Facebook this morning where US Navy Seals were testing the use of rocket packs for rapid boarding of vessels. The video showed 3 Seals with rocket packs fly from a naval craft to a "suspect" craft to test the scenario. If they were, say, attempting to apprehend drug smugglers or similar, they would be sitting ducks while flying in and hovering for landing. With a steering nozzle on each arm, they can't carry armaments in their hands. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

"Not under 95.10.  It needs 1m^2 per 30kg it mtow.  "

About time for a weight increase !.

Just like the big boys want.

So we don't go VH experimental. 

spacesailor

But we already have that available in 95.55 ... it’s just the single engine prop requirements there that are the issue. 

hyt given the redraft if 95.10 and the insertion of design requirements as a possibility in the raaus tech manual now I think everyone in raaus with any aircraft not rolled out of a factory should be seriously questioning the direction of travel for microlights ... ultralights are no more and raaus becoming GA lite is more than just scare mongering

On 22/10/2020 at 8:04 PM, red750 said:

With a steering nozzle on each arm, they can't carry armaments in their hands. 

Use a small gun turret with head tracker like the AH-4 and Tiger......🤣

I was taking a photo fo a static B1 Bomber at Fairford when a rather attractive woman entered the shot just as I hit the shutter... or that's what I told my partner 😉

Anyway, flame out happened quickly and obviously using the sea as an extinguisher.

• 1 month later...