SINNERS COME TO CHURCH AGAIN - "WHO HAS NEVER FLOWN OVERWEIGHT" - THESE ARE MY EXAMPLES IN REAL LIFE.

SSCBD

8 hours ago, Yenn said:

The most dangerous loading was max weight with min fuel, which would put you out of safe C of G quite easily.

Not being silly, but isn't that a condition that you could reach at the end of a long flight?  But by then the weight  would have reduced due to fuel burn, so the CofG might have moved, but still be within the envelope, wouldn't it?

7 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Not being silly, but isn't that a condition that you could reach at the end of a long flight?  But by then the weight  would have reduced due to fuel burn, so the CofG might have moved, but still be within the envelope, wouldn't it?

I had to tell an acquaintance that I couldn't take him for a fly. I could have been under MTOW if I took a light fuel load and had a short flight, but would have exceeded my aft CoG limit even before I took off.

54 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Correct, hence the importance of confirming the ZFW C of G is within limits.

9 hours ago, RFguy said:

Hi Yenn. seems to be a pretty common thing for the low wing LSA (minimum fuel CoG hazard) . 

Low wing LSA - (Min fuel CoG hazard) , as fuel tanks are often in wing  forward of the wing spar, and a long way forward of the seats and baggage.

High wing MAY have  a different issue at min fuel - MAY be nose heavy IF  the wing(+fuel) is behind the front seats.....and only pax no bags. (J230)

GA low wing normal and utility  aircraft I see the wing is often further back to promote better baggage +  load capability I guess. spar under the seat..

Where's the fuel in the RV4 wing ?

Cant comment on all or even most low wing aircraft but the few that I have encountered place the fuel (in wing or fuselage) so as to have minimal trim change with fuel load and those minimal changes (if any) are from a slightly forward (max fuel) condition to a neutral trim condition as consumption/flight progresses.

The little high wing Jabs, I did my GA/RAA conversion in, had the tank behind the seats, so depending on max fuel load trim, it is conceivable that they go from neutral to slightly nose down as the flight progresses.

Irrespective of the aircraft, its wing location high/low, I would expect the wing to be placed in the position that gives the aircraft the greatest stability over it design load/location (including fuel).

In RAA aircraft, where the crew weight make up the largest single weight variable,  I speculate it is their location which probably most influences the location fore/aft of the wing.