Defenders of what ?

“...Britain’s Royal Air Force (RAF) is embracing gender-neutral pronouns such as  ‘Ze’, ‘Per’, and ‘Hir’ to become “fit for the 21st century.”...”

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/10/22/air-force-embraces-gender-neutral-pronouns-airman-becomes-air-per/

As “Force” is a very masculine term and is now ‘wrong-think’ the RAF will need to be renamed. To save having to repaint every thing in the RAF inventory it is proposed to just re-think the F in RAF. A competition will be held to find the appropriate ‘right-think’ of the ‘wrong-think’ F term...

Hilarious to see people quoting from breitbart in general discussion- there is a whole section for comedy and made up stuff

• Agree 4

For those in the industry it's far from hilarious. The Original article may be a joke, bit I assure you that it's not that different in reality.

It bothers me greatly that our Police Service now thinks it's the Special Forces and our Defence Force is now more like a "Special School" competing to see just how "woke" they can be.

It's not a good sign.

Firstly, this is probably a better discussion to behas on socialaustralia, as it is politial rather than flying related.

I rarely click on a link to Brietbart, but did on this occasion.. At best, a tepid attempt to sensationalise something that reflects its makeup and introducing gener nuetral pronouns - and what is actually wrong with that.. There are women fighter pilots as well as women chefs and technicians/engineers..

And for haircuts and head-gear... well, they are simply reflecting the times - probably to continue to attract the best to its ranks.. Re turbans: they have allowed them for at least 19 years as when I did work at a RAF base, there were service personnel wearing them.. in fact, bringing them into uniform could be seen as tightening discipline a bit...

Two great editorial quotes from that article:

"... although the flying service somehow managed to see off Hitler’s Luftwaffe in the 1940s without recourse to gender-neutral pronouns." Yes, but I am sure the vernacular has changed somewhat since WWII.. I don't recall anyone at the RAF still saying "Tally-Ho, Ol Chap".. Also by that logic, since they fended off the Luftwaffe using spitfires and hurricanes, why on earth did they bother upgrading to jets since.. FFS..

"The Ministry of Defence has been led by Conservative Party politicians since 2010.".. Er... So? They are actually caning their own right wing.. Fantastic (also, it is not the MOD that is implementing this, it is the RAF themselves - so no - not led by any political party).

Also, something about introducing woke culture as if it is a bad thing... Well, it isn;t, although, as usual, the right try and hojack terms to suit their twisted agenda: https://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2020/jan/21/how-the-word-woke-was-weaponised-by-the-right

I do agree though, that the potential scrapping of tanks is an issue, but the £500K for a diversit and inclusion directorate is being reported by the British "Freedom" Party and the Daily Wail (er, Mail) and no-one else - can't find reference to it from MOD nor army sources on the net...

And, for reference, there is no mention in the Brietbart crap that the RAF will be renaming itself to change the word force.. And sorry to differe FB, but force is very much a gender neutral word already.. Nice try at futher sensationalism, though...

(I don't support the left any more than the right, but it appears the right are whipping up a frenzy not too dissimilar to both "sides" of the left/right divide prior to WWII...  Interesting times ahead...)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Firstly, this is probably a better discussion to behas on socialaustralia, as it is politial rather than flying related...

Sad really. When discussing the RAF these days it is not about flying.............

😉

8 hours ago, Flying Binghi said:

Sad really. When discussing the RAF these days it is not about flying.............

😉

Yes.. Sadly what happens when a schlock rag tries to make a mountain out of a molehill 😉

• Agree 2
15 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

...I rarely click on a link to Brietbart, but did on this occasion..

...There are women fighter pilots as well as women chefs and technicians/engineers..

“...women fighter pilots...”

Tut-tut !... Jerry_Atrick, yer caint have women fighter pilots - They is now woper fighter pilots..... 🙂

😚