altronics headsets

kg said "Mine are Stereo plugs and most know of are stereo these days."

--yeah there are a mix of stereo and mono plugs, and often the socket is a mono socket, so you end up driving both sides of the headset in parallel (not really the right way, may not be strictly wrong but certainly not right).

I am sure it depends on the aircraft and the degree of naivety on the part of the installer or designer.

Hi SplitS. will have to test all those (in your photo) objectively someday !

I am on a project in the USA doing noise cancelling intercoms and headsets  for MRI machines... The noise is loud...

I've been messing with helicopter intercoms and interfaces for ICS  for about 25 years. 

Both Mil and Civil.  

I have only worked a little with GA intercoms, (A different plug for one....) but they seem to have the same stuff in them. GA intercoms seems to be cut down in flexibility compared to their 6 radio counterparts. I guess more like an IFR equipped GA aircraft.

I am working on the MRI headset project because of my additional knowledge of RF. The MRI is a high precision radio transceiver...

Given the variables , many sub-optimal combinations of impedances will still work just fine. Maybe not perfect, but workable.

- The recent stuff  installed in LSAs is likely to be the most tolerant of variables, compared to a 40 year old box of old and poor transistors.

-glen

I've had a series of replies from Nflight about their attachable Mic setup.

They seem to favour the Bose 35 11 over the Bose 700 as the older model (the 35) is less bulky & has very similar ANR in a flying environment.

The Sony 1000 xm4 requires an adaptor, which they sell, but it adds to the overall bulk of the headset. They confirmed a comment that RFguy mentioned about adaptors that may not be wired correctly.

Another factor that hadn't been raised in this chat was the impact that auto squelch might have on different brands of headsets connected to the same system. I have a G3X system & nflightmic advice was that I should at least stick to the same brand as my existing headset (Bose A20).

When I checked prices, the Bose 35 11 is a lot cheaper than the newer Bose 700 & the Sony xm4.

So, for me the choice seems clear, I'm going to go with the NFlightMic PRO & a Bose 35 11.

They also mentioned that Downunder Pilot Shop is an agent for their gear 

• Informative 1

28 minutes ago, petercoota said:

I have to admit to not knowing. It's a dual G3X with a GTR 200 radio, no separate intercom panel.

I'll look next time I'm at the aircraft......Peter

Details will be in the user manual and set up instructions,  panel adjustments and procedure to adjust the internal factory setting.  For example I have a copy of the adjustment page and note my setting internal for my headsets; then if someone brings there own set and I make internal setting adjustments  i can go back to my original settings after.  Being 'Trig I list them as a percentage.

no no no I meant the mic squelch

IE the VOX threshold, the threshold over which the microphone activates, and you can hear noise and voice through the intercom.

In the Brumby, it has a single VOX / mic squelch for BOTH handsets.

If the headsets have different sensitivity microphones, then the setting of the mic squelch will be unlikely to be correct for both mics (since they have different level outputs) 

glen

yeah, and that's ONE limitation of mixing headsets I'd reckon. Not that it isnt surmountable, easy enough to reduce the level from the louder headset in the inline adaptor with one resistor....

• 2 weeks later...

Bose QC35ii & nflightmic microphone assy arrived today. Assembled easily, certainly smaller & lighter than the Bose A20. I’ll take some side by side pics & take them flying in the next few days & post my thoughts.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2020 at 5:42 PM, petercoota said:

Bose QC35ii & nflightmic microphone assy arrived today. Assembled easily, certainly smaller & lighter than the Bose A20. I’ll take some side by side pics & take them flying in the next few days & post my thoughts.

Hi Peter Any update and pics about how you found the build and use of your headset kit, I’m looking at a set up soon with either the Bose or Sony base headset. Thanks in advance for any feedback comments.

Sorry I haven't followed up, my aircraft has gone U/S so I haven't been able to do a side by side flight test.

The pics don't tell you much, 1997 is the nflight, 1999 Bose a20, 1995 both sets, 2002 nflight, 2003 Bose.

The nflight kit was very complete & well packaged, not a backyard job. The nflight is less bulky, but not a lot in it. I leave my headsets hanging in the aircraft, so bulk is not an issue. The nflight when attached to the headphones is a tight fit in the bag, rather fiddly.

It looks like a few months before I'm flying again, so you'll have to rely on comments by others. For me, I rarely have a passenger, a new Bose A20 is nearly $1800, this nflight setup, complete, including local bought headphone freight etc was under $800.

Sorry about the crappy pics, my iphone lens must have had a fingerprint on it. Let me know how you go...Peter

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1