Old Bold Pilots

Admin, for some reason your last few postings including this one have titles and typed text (where there is some) but nothing else: no link or video.

I'm running Firefox on a Windows laptop in NZ. I've disabled my adblocker, but no ceegar. Suggestions???

Rebooted machine, still no ceegar. All else working fine: news sites/email/world stats etc.

Sometimes content is blocked due to location, but there is usually a msg spelling that out. I'm seeing no content at all, apart from typed text.

Checking:

OMEs post on the Magnus effect brings up video content okay.

Hm...

38 minutes ago, IBob said:

Admin, for some reason your last few postings including this one have titles and typed text (where there is some) but nothing else: no link or video.

I'm running Firefox on a Windows laptop in NZ. I've disabled my adblocker, but no ceegar. Suggestions???

Rebooted machine, still no ceegar. All else working fine: news sites/email/world stats etc.

Sometimes content is blocked due to location, but there is usually a msg spelling that out. I'm seeing no content at all, apart from typed text.

Checking:

OMEs post on the Magnus effect brings up video content okay.

Hm...

Hi Bob, I have just added the link to the video to the opening post

Interesting. I have no idea what would happen with a broken cable. No doubt the chopper would accelerate like mad, maybe the cable could spring back towards the chopper, but a weak link near the chopper would control that. I notice that the chopper is turning away from the pull direction, probably to se where to go. Just have to kep that tail rotor safe.

I don't think the helicopter would crash if the cable broke. The helicopter is lifting as well as pulling. So there would be an acceleration upwards and backwards. If the pilot reacted properly then I reckon he would be ok. I agree it looks dangerous, but I don't think it really is.

On one of the last days I used auto-tow launches for my glider, there were 3 broken cables in a row. I gave up and pushed over to the aerotow line. There never is a time on a cable glider launch where the glider is in danger, provided the pilot does the right thing.

Once we had to contribute towards an appeal where the coroner ( who in my opinion was used to dog-men dying when their crane-cable broke ) decided that glider launch cables needed to be like crane cables. Luckily the GFA won that appeal.

Videos I have seen of helicopters pulling high tension power cables have done so with the chopper remaining vertical so if the cable snapped and flung back it would just go somewhat horizontal and not into the blades...in this video the chopper is angled over pulling straight thus if the cable snapped it could fling straight into the blades

There are more wires  there in the way .The first one looks worse than it really is. The angle would only be about 30 degrees.  IF you are pulling as against direct lifting you must tilt the rotors. Nev