Bad weather up on the mountains

I’ve seen a few of these over the years fold the nose leg but this is the first time I’ve seen one fold up whilst tied down at the airfield. 

I feel for the owner.

9CEE8E61-D474-4B34-8CC6-F5652A04E240.jpeg

Edited by kasper

9 hours ago, ClintonB said:

Is that at Armidale airport?

would the storms have done that last week, we copped A beating in Moonbi from it, big hail too.

Yep Armidale airport. Happened not on the Thursday storms -it was on its legs when I left at 6 but kneeling down next morning around 9 when I went past. Nothing here in Kentucky to speed of ... or my sheds are stronger than I thought. 

• 2 weeks later...

And I think aloud ... What is the point of RAAus accident and incident reporting?

The Sav wind event is written up as:

STATUS: Closed EXTRACT FROM REPORT SUBMISSION: A strong wind event moved the aircraft that had been tied down.

What is an RAAus pilot or aircraft owner to get from that?  it does not even say that there was damage to the airframe or if the tiedowns gave way or just it got thumped where it stood.

If there are any board members on here can they offer any useful reason for having reporting of accidents and incidents as we currently have it other than "CASA made us do it".

• Like 3

It's not meant for members.

It's a management box ticking exercise to achieve KPI's or whatever metric they're chasing. 

So MM can go to one of the 20 organisations he's a part of and say "Sh!t yeah bro, we got the best reporting system eva...".

1 hour ago, Downunder said:

It's not meant for members.

It's a management box ticking exercise to achieve KPI's or whatever metric they're chasing. 

So MM can go to one of the 20 organisations he's a part of and say "Sh!t yeah bro, we got the best reporting system eva...".

Except of course it’s available to members only through the member portal so it should at least have some distinct and clear benefit to us.  If it’s just a CASA requirement and empire proof then just do the govt reporting and talk yourself up.  

if it truely is supposed to be an element of a safety improvement program then I give it a huge fail grade as it’s not well structured does not provide emu level of consistent analysis and Is not referenced in detail or in terms of strong support for change.   

for example I the 12 months to today what would people think was the reports in total - jabiru engine vs rotax engine - phase of flight - type of issue - etc. 

nothing there at all.  If you trawl through and work out your own categories you can get a little picture of what and where things happened.  But bugger all on why they happened and what’s needed to reduce the risk. 

Worse than pointless - it’s costing funds from members for no explicit benefit. 

• Like 1

One of the best ways to learn is by others mistakes and that is what reporting is all about. I have been critical of RAAus for years about their handling of reports. There is very little to learn and sometimes they garble a report completely.

Concerning the Savvy on its nose. What failed? Was it just a gust of wind that damaged it, or was there a weak point before the wind?