J120 weight

Kenlsa

Can anyone that owns a J120 inform me of their actual weight.

As I understand it with the heavy U/C and ‘lectric flaps, the build weight could be around 305kg.

I know that they have put on weight since the first ones with the thin legged U/C and manual flaps, and smaller panel.

I don’t believe any factory numbers so no need to quote them.

My SP 500 that is one of the very last; with the J120, 3rd iteration fin and rudder, comes in at only 276.5kg.

Coz if 305kg is now the typical weight, I can weaponise mine with a 3300 and still weigh less than that.

Ken

7 minutes ago, Kenlsa said:

Can anyone that owns a J120 inform me of their actual weight.

As I understand it with the heavy U/C and ‘lectric flaps, the build weight could be around 305kg.

I know that they have put on weight since the first ones with the thin legged U/C and manual flaps, and smaller panel.

I don’t believe any factory numbers so no need to quote them.

My SP 500 that is one of the very last; with the J120, 3rd iteration fin and rudder, comes in at only 276.5kg.

Coz if 305kg is now the typical weight, I can weaponise mine with a 3300 and still weigh less than that.

Ken

FRP can be unpredictable, particularly if spray laminated, which might be why you're getting different weights from Jabiru.

If anyone did their own build you'd need to know whether they did a good assembly process, or whether they fixed up their mistakes with bog. I know one build where the guy stuffed up several times then filled any gaps with bog to make it look good, but he probably had 15 kg of bog.

You could reverse weigh yours if you have the engine out then adjust for different component weights.

Ken,

YES. they started at ~ 270kg way back , and now a new build is around 300-305kg. The bigger tail , and the heavier main gear were most of the weight. The new tail setup and heavy undercarriage current revisions are >2012 ish....

be sure you can get the little rocket slow enough in turbulence with the 3300.....

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1