Foxbat accident 14 Nov 2020

Is this the one? ...

https://www.news.com.au/national/light-plane-crash-lands-on-soccer-field-in-sydneys-northern-beaches/news-story/3524a27ddf37b7924e00e7295d2424ba

It's good to see the injuries to pilot and passenger are not life-threatening. I trust they recover O.K.

Edited by onetrack

Glad to hear both are ok. Why do the reporters use words like “plunged from the sky” , it looked more like gliding for an emergency landing than plunging. You would think they own a dictionary to check meanings of words.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ClintonB said:

Glad to hear both are ok. Why do the reporters use words like “plunged from the sky” , it looked more like gliding for an emergency landing than plunging. You would think they own a dictionary to check meanings of words.

Have a look at the vertical pole, the tree branches and then the attitude of the aircraft; it wasn't gliding.

• Agree 1

The Dictionary definition of "plunge" -  "to (cause someone or something to) move or fall suddenly, and often a long way forward, down, or into something".

This photo would definitely classify the movement as "plunging". No gliding here, just a straight-out fall, without any support from airflow over the wings. I really am quite amazed the pair survived as well as they did.

Foxbat.jpg

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

OOOH1 Looks nasty - perhaps the pilot managed to round out between this moment & contact with the ground.

The wings aren't crumpled, looks like the engine and rear fuselage have been snapped off so it's had a hit and snap each end, which would have absorbed a lot of the energy; sometimes you can be lucky. I don't think there was any rounding out. We're hampered by just the one shot. Maybe a video will surface.

I wonder if he was transitting Victor One just off the coast and struck trouble . Max transit height there is 500 feet which doesnt leave many options to find a landing place. 

• Agree 1

Yeah! I have lost count of the Victor One's I have done and on every one I think about the limited opportunities for an "out landing".

Its a great little trip though, just wish they would allow another 1K ft or so, on both the Lane of Entry and V1 itself.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Report on Seven News just now said the aircraft had been serviced just 24 hours before the flight. Investigators are looking into the maintenance history.

• Informative 1

Maintenance!: I have always tried to take my own advice - the most likely time for an engine (any)  issue is straight after maintenance - stay close to your home field for an hour or two - everything "in the green", etc, land, do a visual check  -  all as expected?  If so, good to do a Victor One.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

There are reports on PPrune at this particular serial number had a history of engine problems which they could not locate or identify and it had had engine outs previously if you read between the lines from somebody that it obviously being flying the aircraft before

11 hours ago, turboplanner said:

Have a look at the vertical pole, the tree branches and then the attitude of the aircraft; it wasn't gliding.

I hadn’t seen that shot yet. They were showing it in more level flight. That looks like an oh sh&t moment.

9 minutes ago, ClintonB said:

I hadn’t seen that shot yet. They were showing it in more level flight. That looks like an oh sh&t moment.

Channel 7 news interviewed the guys that called for the cricket players to run after he saw it hit a shed roof and then heading for the players in the field.

I wonder if the foxbat is the same one that was involved with these previous incidents, which appear to be fuel flow related. Without meaningful follow up the RAAus accident and incident reports are completely useless. Would it kill anyone to include registration number in a report.

27/9/2020 Bankstown Airport NSW Aeroprakt A22LS Foxbat Rotax 912Uls STATUS: Under investigation EXTRACT FROM REPORT SUBMISSION: When initially starting the engine ... 
STATUS: Under investigation EXTRACT FROM REPORT SUBMISSION: When initially starting the engine the fuel valves were closed and the engine stopped after 30 seconds. The pilot restarted the engine with the right tank open and the engine started as normal. Whilst completing circuits with a student and on take-off on upwind, the engine started vibrating with the Rpm coming down to about 3000 rpm. The instructor initiated a turn back to land on the same runway (29L) in the opposite direction (11R) alerting tower. Tower cleared the aircraft to land which it did uneventfully.
29/8/2020 Bankstown Airport NSW Aeroprakt A22LS Foxbat Rotax 912ULS STATUS: Under investigation EXTRACT FROM REPORT SUBMISSION: Take off into training area on runw... 
STATUS: Under investigation EXTRACT FROM REPORT SUBMISSION: Take off into training area on runway 29c. It was a solo check so student was the pilot flying. The aircraft experienced a partial loss of power on take-off at 400 feet, the instructor took over control and requested a full stop and advised ATC that they did not have full power on climb. After 20 seconds the aircraft lost 80% of power, the instructor advised ATC and conducted a glide approach onto runway 11R. The aircraft had enough power to taxi the aircraft away from the manoeuvre area.
Edited by Thruster88
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

16 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Yeah! I have lost count of the Victor One's I have done and on every one I think about the limited opportunities for an "out landing".

Its a great little trip though, just wish they would allow another 1K ft or so, on both the Lane of Entry and V1 itself.

That would be a recipe for disaster and should  never happen . A increase to 1500’ would place any V1 traffic in direct conflict with any inbound Sydney traffic landing on 34L or 34R  which , in a 3degree approach path would be at 1500’ on passing the Eastern shoreline of Botany Bay . The same separation situation exists for the LOE too with landing aircraft on 16R  in particular  where presently there is only 1000’ separation with the LL of CTR of 2500’. 

Edited by yampy
Addition
  • Agree 2