Let’s all do our best to support our new CEO. From my brief reading of his resume, he has very considerable aviation experience. He deserves a fair go in implementing the RAA business strategy.

• Agree 1

I presume you're referring to RAAus, not RAA Insurance Ltd. Both have installed new CEO's recently. Using correct terminology removes any chance of error or misunderstandings.

Well, who is it? There is nothing on the RAA website in latest notices or Enews & I haven't had an email either.

Thanks OT. As there is no-one at the helm till he takes over I guess he'll have to make his own announcement. A member for 10 years but part owns a GA registered Grumman Tiger. Now what should we make of that?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
4 hours ago, kgwilson said:

part owns a GA registered Grumman Tiger. Now what should we make of that?

He is one of the three wise men

Well, we can take from his aircraft choice, that he knows a good little aircraft when he sees one! :classic_cool:  As to being a GA man, well, I guess time will tell what he's like.

I gather from the tone of the article he has a lot of work in front of him dealing with bureaucracy.

5 hours ago, kgwilson said:

Thanks OT. As there is no-one at the helm till he takes over I guess he'll have to make his own announcement. A member for 10 years but part owns a GA registered Grumman Tiger. Now what should we make of that?

And a has a bit of flying in a Jabiru ( so maybe there won't be as much bias)

This is the email I received..

2772116.png    2772115.png    2772117.png    2772114.png

RAAus welcomes new CEO                  
20 November 2020

Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus) welcomes Matt Bouttell as the incoming CEO, starting early in the New Year. Matt brings a wealth of aviation knowledge gained through 30-years of working in a varied, aviation focused career. He has a reputation for being an easy-going and approachable leader with a proven ability to work across the myriad of stakeholders in our industry.

Matt started his aviation career in the early 90’s as an apprentice aircraft maintenance engineer working on large jets before moving into airline flight operations. At the same time, Matt worked towards gaining his private pilot license which he helped to fund by working for his local flying school conducting maintenance on their aircraft fleet. Progressing into more senior roles Matt ‘s career focused on Air traffic Management both locally and internationally as well as Corporate Affairs before gaining valuable experience working for the regulator where he Chaired many of the RAPACs across the country and was also the Secretariat for the Aviation Safety Advisory Panel.

Matt has been a member of RAAus for almost 10 years, flying a family members’ Jabiru around the NSW Snowy Mountains however what cemented his passion was when he took a trip in the Jabiru across the Simpson Desert and over Lake Ayer. He is part owner in a 1977 Grumman Tiger and flies regularly out of Canberra, sharing this passion with family and friends by showing them the joys of his work and hobby.

Matt’s experience and background dealing with regulation and airspace positions him well to lead RAAus in its efforts to protect and grow the ambitions of our diverse membership base and aviation more generally.

Residing in regional NSW with his wife and two young daughters, Matt is very much looking forward to furthering the opportunities for RAAus and engaging with the diverse membership across the country.

Matt says ‘I’m very much looking forward to leading RAAus in a Post-COVID world to further shape the aviation landscape in Australia. I’m incredibly humbled that the Chair and Board have afforded me the opportunity to lead the small but highly dedicated team at RAAus. And I truly hope that with the with border restrictions easing that I’ll be able to start the new year by engaging with our members as regularly as possible.’

Michael Monck, Chair of the RAAus Board added, “With Matt coming on board to guide our team we will be well positioned to lead RAAus into some great new opportunities. We’ve tackled a great deal of challenges in years gone by and with Matt bringing in a wealth of experience across the business, flying and maintenance aspects of our sector we couldn’t be handing over the reins to a better qualified person.”

CEO Enquiries [email protected]

Member Enquiries [email protected]

His resume looks OK and I wish him well. We need someone with experience and ability, so he may be just the man.

Don't knock him until you can come up with a sensible criticism, which I hope you cannot do.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Why didn't they send the email to all members. There seems to be something really screwed up with their distribution lists. I seem to get some things but not everything, this announcement being one of them.

And check Spam.  My ISP has started sending bulk mail out emails to the Spam folder on their servers.  Means I have to log into my email through the web to access that Spam folder, which is different to the spam folder on my Email client which tosses things to Spam too.  Really annoying at the ISP level, because they are Spamming things I regularly read and sending junk like Fishpond and Phishing scams through.  I am slowly re-educating it.

1 hour ago, walrus said:

KGW, have you logged in to the website and checked your email address recently?

Yes I have checked and also my email address has not changed in 9 years so they know where to send reminders to pay membership & aircraft rego. I just seem to get missed when some announcements are made. Last night I decided to have a whinge so sent an email about the problem to all 6 of the RAAus email addresses I have. I got an automated response from all except [email protected]

At least this guy has an aviation background and won't need to spend a year learning about ultralights, CASA regs, etc.  Hopefully he is a good manager.  Remember our last CEO came from the RSPCA.  A previous CEO was ex-military.  We have come a long way from when it was run by volunteers in their spare time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I hope he is good, but the job seems a bit like the prison camp capos of ww2. What can the incumbent  do if CASA makes demands? Does the job allow the incumbent to disagree with anything CASA wants?

The main threat to our existence as fliers is the cost. Look at how gliding has shrunk since it ceased to be the cheapest way to fly. What can the new guy do to lower costs?  Owner maintenance and less red-tape and lower fees come to mind. But CASA has to approve everything I think.  

• Like 1