BFR Rusty after 10 months without flying !

Butch

Went for my BFR today after not flying for 10 months ( Covid and fractured elbow ....long story)

I couldn't believe how much of my coordination and motor skills I have lost due to not flying ! 

My first landing was a disaster...bad rudder control, over correction and always behind the aircraft.

It put a real dint in my confidence and I was quite embarrassed to admit my flying skills aren't up to scratch.

The good news is after a few circuits it all came back and I was sighed off ok.

My point is to all out there that if you haven't been flying for a while, there is no shame in going for a quick circuit with your local instructor just to check your skills,

cheer's Butch   

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 2

I did a BFR recently and had no problem except the X wind landing. The only aircraft I fly is my own but although it has a centre stick and rudders both sides there are no brakes on the right or throttle so I went with the instructor in a Jab 160. Apart from the long slow climb it was easy to fly and upper air work like stalls and steep turns etc & a couple of touch & goes no problem. The landing back at our aerodrome had a good X wind which in my aircraft is no problem. The first thing I noticed was I needed a much greater crab angle to stay on track, then over the fence & to flare height I kicked the rudder to straighten up & went sideways. I kicked the rudder to compensate but nothing happened except the angle of track. The instructor chucked a bit of aileron & throttle & we landed on the upwind wheel as you would expect.

With my low wing the crab angle for the same wind is about half that of the 160 & my flare is at only a foot or so off the ground and a flick of the rudder & it lands on both mains. The wing is in total ground effect & even with a 10-12 knot X wind doesn't require an into wind wheel down first touchdown. The difference with the high wing being another metre and a half or so higher was quite pronounced. Thinking back to my C172 & PA28-181 flying I had never noticed such a big difference in X wind landing technique & I did a lot of it in windy NZ. Then though I used a combination of into wind wing down & crab angle depending on X wind strength. Much heavier aircraft though.

Edited by kgwilson

Recency comes up a lot in  discussion of pilot performance. Recency applies to your passenger privileges. IF ever in doubt get the Instructor Out. Your lack of confidence can be unhelpful  and may build if you have another "IFFY" happening in short succession. . A go around can be a very exacting  procedure also. Give it away earlier in the landing if in doubt. There's more to flying than just landings.  Do prepared sequences in the training area .Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For the last 20 years I have done most of my BFRs in aircraft that are new to me. My log book has several 1 hour flights in aircraft i will probably never fly again. I find that recency in my single seater helps me fly anything. I don't know what not flying for ten months would do, but I did have a long layoff and fell back into it quickly. I reckon just relaxing and not pushing it helps get to grips with a strange plane.

I did my first ever BFR last week.

As this year has been bad for flying (thanks covid) I did 3 sessions with an instructor before hand. Was well worth it. One on circuits including departures and rejoins, one air work, one on PFLs.

In the end the BFR was straight forward, a Nav exercise to Tyabb, Inverloch and home.

Tyabb was busy with 6 AC in the circuit, would have been overwhelming if i hadn't got up to speed before hand.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Same experience s here. Six or so months without a flight. Went with an instructor. Performed terribly. Confidence shot. Have had two more flights with the instructor and I'm still not back to where I was. Pretty scary to think that legally I could have flown on my own after six months. 

33 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

Same experience s here. Six or so months without a flight. Went with an instructor. Performed terribly. Confidence shot. Have had two more flights with the instructor and I'm still not back to where I was. Pretty scary to think that legally I could have flown on my own after six months. 

Danny my confidence was shot too !  Passed my BFR ok, but still a bit nervous about flying on my own.

Probably a bit of overload trying to do a BFR with out flying for 10 months. I usually go out the week before and put myself through most of the things you are expected to do. If something needs work I do a bit more practice ( forced landing etc.)

I was glad I didn't go on my own as there was a good chance something may have gone sideways !

cheer's Butch

• Like 1