RAAus registerable 2 seater biplane.

Hunsta

Just a simple question  really. If in the negative. We can leave it at that. If in the positive. Tell me whats out there.

Have tried many times to google it. But the minute you enter biplane. You get every thing but, what Im looking for.

Cheers

You could always try a Gere Sports Biplane

Gere Sport Biplane - Aeropedia The Encyclopedia of Aircraft

As you can see, this one was built right here in the recent past in Australia, just outside Cowra. So you can easily get advice. The plane was originally designed for a 1930's Chevrolet engine, but it will accept any modern 4-cylinder engine, or with an Australian made Rotec radial. Attached is the first few pages of the article published in the 1930's. If you want teh rest, which includes planes, PM me.

one.pdf

• Like 1

You don't need a specific endorsement. You might need low inertia and tailwheel if the weight is OK. Some are draggy and slow. Look up Murphy Renegade for a very pretty design. The EAA Biplane of around 1960 on was one of the first from  EAA but is heavy enough to be GA.. Look up Parasol designs  also. Nev

12 hours ago, cosmicray said:

What about a Murphy Renegade or Renegade Spirit? A friend of mine had one and it flew well. Front seat was tight and it was slow but it was good fun to fly.

https://www.murphyair.com/detail/renegade.html

Mmmm that looks interesting. I do like the fact you can have a 80hp Rotax in it. Im no agaist them. But Im not a huge fan of 2 strokes. However having said that. I in no way am denigrating them.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Now for the kicker question

Can you get one with a nose wheel. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Never seen one . The way the rudder is moved ,setting up a steerable nose wheel would be a lot of work and extra weight  The mainwheels would have to go rearwards a fair way also. . Watch his 3 point landing. Quite nice. That's how dog meant it to be. Nev

If you are nuts on a biplane access to the front seat is sometimes difficult and it's better to have ailerons on both mainplanes .A reasonable sized fin and rudder help with a taildragger. Biplanes have more drag than a comparable monoplane. Wires and struts create drag. The real TIGER MOTH only cruises at 78 knots and there's some nice ones of those around. They rebuild them at Luskintyre near West Maitland. Nev

7 hours ago, old man emu said:

Dunno, but you could always get a tailwheel endorsement and be the envy of your tricycle riding friends.

8 hours ago, facthunter said:

Never seen one . The way the rudder is moved ,setting up a steerable nose wheel would be a lot of work and extra weight  The mainwheels would have to go rearwards a fair way also. . Watch his 3 point landing. Quite nice. That's how dog meant it to be. Nev

OH Dear. I was speaking rather with tongue in cheek there fellas. No it wouldnt look right with a wheel up front.

Edited by Hunsta

On 26/11/2020 at 8:00 AM, Hunsta said:

Mmmm that looks interesting. I do like the fact you can have a 80hp Rotax in it. Im no agaist them. But Im not a huge fan of 2 strokes. However having said that. I in no way am denigrating them.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Now for the kicker question

Can you get one with a nose wheel. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

As far as I know, the 80hp Rotax is a 4 stroke...

• Agree 1

Having said that I can't recall a nose wheel biplane, there is one in the next hangar to mine and it is a two seater. The Petrel is a plastic fantastic, home built with a Rotax 912 and also is a seaplane with a floating hull and outboard floats. I have even flown in it and because it doesn't look like a rag and string biplane I had forgotten that it is one.

On 27/11/2020 at 8:56 PM, Marty_d said:

As far as I know, the 80hp Rotax is a 4 stroke...

I was referring to the fact it could have a 912UL 80hp. But I didnt like2 strokes.

Not that the 912UL was a 2 banger. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Hunsta

Specifications (Super Pétrel LS)
Data from Jane's All the World's Aircraft 2010/11[3]

General characteristics

Capacity: two
Length: 6.25 m (20 ft 6 in)
Upper wingspan: 8.90 m (29 ft 2 in)
Height: 2.33 m (7 ft 8 in)
Wing area: 15.00 m2 (161.5 sq ft)
Airfoil: NACA 2412
Empty weight: 320 kg (705 lb)
Max takeoff weight: 600 kg (1,323 lb)
Fuel capacity: 90 L (23.8 US gal; 19.8 Imp gal)
Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 912 ULS flat four, air- and water-cooled, 73.5 kW (98.6 hp)
Propellers: 3-bladed Airplast 175, 1.65 m (5 ft 5 in) diameter
Performance

Maximum speed: 190 km/h (120 mph, 100 kn)
Cruise speed: 180 km/h (110 mph, 97 kn) maximum
Stall speed: 56 km/h (35 mph, 30 kn)
Never exceed speed: 210 km/h (130 mph, 110 kn)
Range: 950 km (590 mi, 510 nmi) with maximum fuel
Service ceiling: 3,050 m (10,010 ft) service
g limits: +4/-2
Rate of climb: 5.08 m/s (1,000 ft/min) maximum at sea level
Wing loading: 40.0 kg/m2 (8.2 lb/sq ft) maximum
Take-off run on land: 80 m (265 ft)
Take-off run on water: 120 m (395 ft)
Landing run on land: 120 m (395 ft)
Landing run on water: 100 m (330 ft)

220px-Super_Petrel_2.jpg   Retractable tricycle gear.

• Informative 1

Specifications (Celebrity)[edit]

305px-Shirey_David_A_Fisher_Celebrity_%2

Fisher Celebrity powered by a radial engine

Data from Company website, AeroCrafter & Kitplanes[2][3][4][5]

General characteristics

• Crew: one
  • Capacity: one passenger
  • Length: 17 ft 6 in (5.33 m)
  • Wingspan: 22 ft 0 in (6.71 m)
  • Height: 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)
  • Wing area: 176 sq ft (16.37 sq m)
  • Empty weight: 600 lbs (272 kg)
  • Useful load: 630 lb (285 kg)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 1230 lbs (557 kg)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Continental O-200 Four cylinder, four-stroke piston aircraft engine, 100 hp (75 kW)

Performance

FISHER CELEBRITY C-GDDQ.JPG

(Side note: I did an internet image search for "Fisher Celebrity" Got dozens of photos of actress Isla Fisher, plus Kate Fisher, Carrie Fisher et al. 

Don't forget to include the word Aircraft in your search  -  you never know what you might get otherwise.)

• Informative 1

The Super Petrel is a good plane in my opinion but it has one quirk. You have to add and subtract ballast to account for either one or two person flying. This could be done by adding water in a container, but I think it is rather a lot of water to go into a small space and am not sure if it would fit.

On 29/11/2020 at 8:21 PM, red750 said:

Specifications (Celebrity)[edit]

305px-Shirey_David_A_Fisher_Celebrity_%2

Fisher Celebrity powered by a radial engine

Data from Company website, AeroCrafter & Kitplanes[2][3][4][5]

General characteristics

• Crew: one
  • Capacity: one passenger
  • Length: 17 ft 6 in (5.33 m)
  • Wingspan: 22 ft 0 in (6.71 m)
  • Height: 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)
  • Wing area: 176 sq ft (16.37 sq m)
  • Empty weight: 600 lbs (272 kg)
  • Useful load: 630 lb (285 kg)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 1230 lbs (557 kg)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Continental O-200 Four cylinder, four-stroke piston aircraft engine, 100 hp (75 kW)

Performance

FISHER CELEBRITY C-GDDQ.JPG

(Side note: I did an internet image search for "Fisher Celebrity" Got dozens of photos of actress Isla Fisher, plus Kate Fisher, Carrie Fisher et al. 

Don't forget to include the word Aircraft in your search  -  you never know what you might get otherwise.)

Especially if you're looking for one without a cowling, and you add "nude", "bare", "undressed", or "with bits hanging out"