Change tank timers

RFguy

What do people use for to remind them to change tanks, CLEAROF etc  apart from their brain ?

Any sort of audible warning of course needs to be plumbed into the intercom system

I've seen timers in VHF radios in my time, is that what they are used for  ?

Then there are visual indicators, they'd need to be in good view and bright in the day.

-glen

Hi RF - I have a Garmin Aera 660 in my ProMecc Sparviero and it has an option to set a reminder to switch tanks. I have mine set for every 30mins but from memory you can customise the length of time. A grey dialogue box with "Switch Tanks" pops up which catches the attention but is not obtrusive. One touch and it disappears and the timer automatically restarts. I'm not sure if it has an audible warning as well, but of it does I don't use it and I don't see any need for it as the dialogue box is effective.

• Informative 1

Initially I always start on the fullest tank when flying my Foxbat, then I use my wrist watch i.e. the minute hand, from 01-30 I feed from the right tank & 31-60 the left tank, works well for me but you obviously need some fuel awareness/discipline in the first place.

• Like 1

Hi .

that's how I have been doing it do far.

outer ring (bezel) is for time at way points or ground speed and track check points which triggers a log computation of GS, ETA,  on the wiz wheel and log entry.

would almost be handy to have two rotatable rings around the dial....

I'll continue to do all the nav for some time with maps, wiz wheels, GAF, TAF, GWPTs.  I actually enjoy the workload, even when it is hectic and rough and busy.

I'm not quite ready to relax and hit the 'autoland' button on the Jabiru instrument panel. 

• Like 2

I typically don't change tanks regularly.

Start & warm up on one, taxi out on the other, take off and climb to altitude and change back to the first one until I run it dry, and only then do I change back.

The one exception to this is if I am down to less than 15L or so in it, I'll go for the fuller tank in the circuit to minimize the chance of unporting the outlet due a slip etc.

I have a Flight Data GT50. It has a clock, voltmeter, flight timer, G meter and resettable timer. I use the resettable timer to time my tanks. The GT 50 fits in the small standard instrument hole. It's cheap and has a lot of functions that I think are useful, especially the G meter with max G recording.

I bought it for the G meter because I used to have a turbulence phobia and wanted to know if the bumps were going to rip the wings off. Thanks to the GT50 I don't worry about that anymore.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I think with  4 tanks I'd run 2 of the outers to exhaustion if  in a safe place and keep one  inner more full for take offs and landings. If you select a tank close to a take off you make it's action more critical. Many engine failures on take off are incorrect fuel tank selection caused.  It's NICE to PROVE the tank before relying totally on it. ,Nev

Edited by facthunter

I always used to write "Change tanks 60 mins" on my flight plan log and yellow highlight it to make it stand out in the old PA28-181 days before there were electronic gizmos to help. Worked a treat as I was always checking the plan for frequency changes etc. Now if I am going long distance I just start the transfer pump from the left wing to the main when the main gets to 1/4. Once the main gets back to over 1/2 I'll flick it to the right tank & wait till it gets to 3/4. This will give me about 75 litres in the main and each wing tank will have about 15 litres left in them. The wing tanks don't have gauges.

Edited by kgwilson

You  want to use the fuel in the outers so the only way to do that is run each dry at a suitable location or you will end up with bit's here and there and not able to be usefully  used.  at subsequent times. . With systems I've not operated  extensively previously I do this over a place I could probably outland on Being cautious. IF I had a four tank system I'd use the centre tanks with pumps and Non return Valves fitted LAST. That system won't introduce air until both selected tanks are exhausted as if one pump cavitates the N/R valve closes under pressure from the other source..Nev