Balance master

rhtrudder

Noticed my plane slowly developing a vibration over the last 6months , ended up replacing my prop, wheels up landing , and the vibs still there so I removed the plate and noticed it had a rattling sound which I didn’t think was there when I fitted it , now vibration has gone , if you have fitted one might pay to get a prop balance to check it out 

On 06/12/2020 at 8:51 AM, rhtrudder said:

Noticed my plane slowly developing a vibration over the last 6months , ended up replacing my prop, wheels up landing , and the vibs still there so I removed the plate and noticed it had a rattling sound which I didn’t think was there when I fitted it , now vibration has gone , if you have fitted one might pay to get a prop balance to check it out 

How disappointing - I fitted a BM,  after  getting my prop professio0nally dynamic balanced, so saw no change in vibration. My idea was, that it might just take care of any nasty stone chips in the future, allowing me to get home with minimal vibration - good idea (??) now in doubt.

wheels up landing...

I too have fitted one so this has my attention. Perhaps you could clarify your experience with it. Did it cop a prop strike?

My idea has been to get  model plane vibration meter and wire it to an instrument  like maybe a milliamp meter. This would tell me if there was more or less vibration. My senses are not reliable enough to do this alone.

I would like a Balance Master but need to understand how it works. My intuition says a liquid will migrate to the outside and make things worse. Smarter guys than me say it works good, so I am still wondering where my simple ideas are wrong.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

...I would like a Balance Master but need to understand how it works. My intuition says a liquid will migrate to the outside and make things worse...

Mine too Bruce, much the same as when we add slime (preseal) to our tyres. I always expected the fluid to migrate to the heavier side of the spinning tyre- increasing the imbalance- but the opposite seems to happen.
My BalanceMaster runs pretty smoothly. 

3 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

How disappointing - I fitted a BM,  after  getting my prop professio0nally dynamic balanced, so saw no change in vibration. My idea was, that it might just take care of any nasty stone chips in the future, allowing me to get home with minimal vibration - good idea (??) now in doubt.

Pretty sure the prop strike had nothing to do with it, been going on for months, sometimes it was good other times no so , I guess it depended where the weights ended up between flights, will cut it open and see what’s inside, I persevered not realising that was the cause but after fitting the new prop the penny dropped, I only just sold my dyna vibe figuring I didn’t need it 

30 minutes ago, rhtrudder said:

Pretty sure the prop strike had nothing to do with it, been going on for months, sometimes it was good other times no so , I guess it depended where the weights ended up between flights, will cut it open and see what’s inside, I persevered not realising that was the cause but after fitting the new prop the penny dropped, I only just sold my dyna vibe figuring I didn’t need it 

If engine is a Rotax and the vibration is intermittent it could be your carb throttle system has some binding in the movement that has a carb slide lagging behind as you change the rpm.  Just a thought worth checking out. Disregard if engine not a twin carb set up. 

Edited by Blueadventures