Chuck Yeager, who first broke sound barrier with 'the right stuff', dies aged 97

red750

Chuck Yeager, the steely Right Stuff test pilot who took aviation to the doorstep of space by becoming the first person to break the sound barrier more than 70 years ago, has died at the age of 97.

Yeager's death was announced on his Twitter account by his wife, Victoria.

"It is with profound sorrow I must tell you that my life love General Chuck Yeager passed just before 9:00pm ET [Eastern Time].

"An incredible life well lived, America's greatest pilot, and a legacy of strength, adventure and patriotism will be remembered forever," Victoria Yeager said in the tweet.

Read more here.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...

Brigadier Gen. Yeager,

You lived and experienced a truly amazing age of aviation.

Many years ago you wished me luck! Science, math and physics aside, most of us are slightly superstitious... checklists checklists and re-check.. but sometimes a bit of luck also goes a long way. 

Gone but not forgotten.

Yeager.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tigershark21 said:

Brigadier Gen. Yeager,

You lived and experienced a truly amazing age of aviation.

Many years ago you wished me luck! Science, math and physics aside, most of us are slightly superstitious... checklists checklists and re-check.. but sometimes a bit of luck also goes a long way. 

Gone but not forgotten.

Yeager.jpg

That goes straight to the Pool Room!

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2020 at 5:17 PM, Old Koreelah said:

That goes straight to the Pool Room!

You have an undercover swimming pool in your house? I met Chucky when he came out to Oz a few years ago, he was a "different" fellow, his wife Victoria seemed nice.

• Haha 1