Skyecho

SkyEcho 2 receives FLARM too, but you need something like Fore Flight or Sky Demon with a FLARM licence (costs $30-$40 per year) to decode the signal.

This is SkyDemon decoding FLARM from my SkyEcho. You can see a glider on final and a glider/tug with individual FLARMs fitted. Maximum range of FLARM detection is about 5nm - it’s a pretty weak signal.

spacer.png

The other problem with bearing less Mode S and Mode C detection is that the proximity is worked out on signal strength. Power outputs from transponders range from 70W to 500W. So if your kit detects a 500W transponder it will warn you and make you think it is much closer than it actually is - or vice versa, it will not warn you as it thinks the weaker signal is further away. That is, I understand, why uAvionix ceased their development of the Mode S and Mode C bearing less detection - it is too unreliable. 👍

Edited by Gaznav
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

With the ADT you still need a transponder. The Vixen would have had a Mode C transponder in the aircraft. Thats the same as the Skyecho operation except the ADT uses funky software to detect the squark codes and derives angle and distance from RSSI from the older transponders. The PowerFlarm unit has similar softare to that. The Powerflarm is just a receiver..a very expensive receiver 3k

The Skyecho is both a ADSB in and out. It doesnt do the dectection like the ADT or Powerflarm does. I sent a email about other mode transponder detection to Uavionix and there was plans to do somethig similar but I believe they didnt go any further with that side of it because it wasnt worthwhile seeing all the other modes will be deleted in the near future and it will only be ADSB in and out used

Thanks Mark,

OK, so everyone is heading the ADSB direction in the long term, so any idea how many Skyecho unit are in service?  So I take it all ADSB in/out units of all makes play OK together?  So Skyecho sees all GA and Commercial ADSB signals too?

Yes it does Jack. The Skyecho is only 20watts output not 250 watts so its only local aircraft to aircraft at low levels...below 5000ft. Somewhere between 10 and 40nm they say depending on where you stick it in the cabin of course. It will show up on the AirServices ground ADSB units also others like FlightAware and FlightRadar 24 at lower levels too as there are more of those stations around than AirServices ground stations.

The local agent here keeps selling out of stock and Ozrunways are selling them..not sure if Avplan are selling them. There is a stack out there now. its so much cheaper than a normal ADSB unit...about 900 bucks instead of 5 to 10k. It is picked up by all ADSB equiped aircraft

You are not supposed to mod these units but as you know if you hooked up the output to a proper ADSB antenna mounted outside the aircraft the range will be far better. I have sussed out a few things and it would be very easy to do if we can get the miniture connector that will just push into the test port which then disconnects the pcb trace antenna and it then would come out a coax tail to then hook to a correct antenna.  But this particular pcb connector is smaller than what anyone makes..at the moment. I have been emailing and even got some samples from a manufacturer of these pcb connectors but they were the wrong size.

The left pcb antenna is the FLARM the right side is ADSB. Both have the test connectors on them

BTW there are a lot more components on the underside of that pcb and also you can see the battery tabs at the top and bottom of the board

391905400_IMG_8871(1).thumb.jpg.3ae311f65684840bfa24fd011bc16f71.jpgIMG_9209.thumb.jpg.5b9a3a44f88cb701dd9b42c0bf011544.jpgIMG_8909.thumb.jpg.e401db99af5a2b752ee1f8fd09a59ff7.jpg

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Yes thats what we are looking at doing..either remove the connector and solder direct but depending on the multilayer pcb that maybe easier said than done. Need to keep the cap there . Havent got back to it due to my leg and too many other projects likethe new throttle and I am flat out building more CDI modules and also some work stuff. We went to order the latest and greatest unit pcb I did for work and they came back and one of the chips I used is now marked EOL..so now have to test and redesign the main micro pcb. Bloody chip manufacturers. They have good stable chips then decide to get rid of them. The replacement is not just a cap touch chip its a full blown micro which means more software and programming  GRRRR... so have been working on that too

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The connector is a MHF-SW20  so seeing they dont make the antenna clip for it They only make special hold in male connector for testing also can look at taking off the 20 if we can then putting on a 23. The 23 tails are easily available

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

The connector is a MHF-SW20  so seeing they dont make the antenna clip for it They only make special hold in male connector for testing also can look at taking off the 20 if we can then putting on a 23. The 23 tails are easily available

How about carefully taking the top off the PCB connector by paring it down to a point where you can solder a pigtail coax to the top part of the connector that is left, that way PCB layers can’t be affected? Use a Dremel tool?

Edited by jackc

19 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

Yes it receives FLARM...but not in this country...Flarm is on 800mhz in UK and Eurpoe but here its on 400mhz so does not work and is disabled for Australia in the proramming of the unit

Thanks Kyle - I didn’t know that. FLARM is standardised around Europe, so I naturally assumed it was the same globally. Another reason to adopt ADS-B then 👍

• 1 year later...

Good afternoon  Kyle 

Did you make any more progress getting an external antenna to the sky echo? or finding a push on connector for the MHF-SW20 Plug ?

but this is for the 23 plug 

• Like 1

Kyle  I have finally found the test probe for this   https://5.imimg.com/data5/YT/ME/KE/GLADMIN-3061/i-pex-90193-001-rf-coaxial-connector.pdf 

Manual probe Friction lock (Durability 2K cycles)90795-0300 (Length : 300 mm)  or Mechanical lock (Durability 2K cycles)90704-0300 (Length : 300 mm)  Do think this could be used to get a external antenna connection 

Screenshot 2022-10-24 165930.png

There is no SW20 coax plug connector only a push on test connector which is quite long. I was dealing direct with Ipex in Japan they only do one for the SW23. There are some SW20 size plugs but it is the reverse genger.

I have fitted a coax tail on my SE2 and tested it and it works a treat. Fitted to a normal transponder antenna while flying was receiving direct contacts up to 180km away. Transmit appeared to be about 20 to 40nm reliably possibly further but it is only 20watts compared to 200 to 250 watts for a normal transponder.

There isnt enough room internally to fit a SMA on the case fed with a coax without major microsurgury and a deft skill.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I measured mine at 10 watts.... but, its designed to be a short range device, so no probs.

I reckon there is enough rooom for a reduced bolt size 4 bolt SMA, if the flange is on the outside. I will get some tails made up.  The 3/8" square flange (0.25" square holes), I reckon no issue with room...  One man's micro surgery is another man's day to day....

While there are smaller connectors, It's probably the smallest and most reasonable connector to use.

Thanks for the update guys 

Iam  not up to soldering that small, Will either of you solder the connection for me . f I send the SE2 to you in the east .

Then i ll reprint the case a little longer to take connection to suit ,as I want to put a sharks tooth antenna on the hull 

Regards Grant 

• 2 months later...
Is the Stratus 3 worth the small extra cost over the Skyecho?
I see the Stratus 3 has an internal fan and maybe that will help cooling the unit.
I read that they are both ok to 45*C. How does direct sunlight on a hot summers day in North Queensland effect its operation?
All comments appreciated. Cheers.
  • Like 1

And AFAIK, at this point, the SE2 is still the only portable EC device of its kind approved by CASA. 

https://www.uavionix.com.au/news/skyecho2-portable-adsb-inout-now-approved-in-australia/

The SkyEcho2 portable ADS-B transceiver has been accepted by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) as an approved Electronic Conspicuity (EC) Device as an enhancement to “See and Be Seen” from 16th July, 2020.

SkyEcho2 is the world’s first commercially available portable ADS-B IN and OUT system. Complete with an integrated TSO certified SBAS GPS and barometric altimeter, SkyEcho2 transmits your aircraft location, altitude, and identification via 1090MHz ADS-B, enabling you to be seen by nearby aircraft equipped with an ADS-B receiver. In Australia, the integrated ADS-B IN receiver connects wirelessly to your favourite Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) application adhering to an industry-standard protocol for ADS-B traffic – including OzRunways and AvPlan EFB.

Edited by Garfly
  • Informative 2

The thing is Mike, it's dead easy to unclip and take with you.  You can also move it from aircraft to aircraft - as long as you change its ID (easily done) and the other plane has an official hex code (easily obtained).

Edited by Garfly
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Blueadventures said:

Have a SkyEcho2 in the post and emailed CASA for the Hex code; bit of fun getting email away (selecting the topic area - not the easiest for me to find).

You won't get the hex code without the serial number of the SE2 which is on a tiny barcode on the SE2 so you will need to send that when it arrives.

• Informative 2

2 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

You won't get the hex code without the serial number of the SE2 which is on a tiny barcode on the SE2 so you will need to send that when it arrives.

2 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

They included serial number in the invoice details; hopefully the same details.  Very helpful.  Said they have 600 in stock; I said only wanted one.  Same day despatch and phoned after 1pm and ordered online.  Cheers.

• Like 1