ASIC, does my passenger need one

RossK

I know who my elected representatives are and they are all useless. My federal member was touted to be leader of the Country Party, which shows haw little talent the Country party had. It is absolutely useless writing to him about ASIC. What he does is forward it to the relevant minister who replies that it is decreed that it goes on. Of course Avid will not be repealed. It may do no good at all, but it brings in money and even better from the bureaucrats position, it establishes a base of control.

Our State government is no better, my representative Country party is based over 100km away and I have a nearer member of the Labor party who replies to my queries far faster and far more effectively.

The unfortunate part about the likes of ASIC and MSIC cards is that they were introduced in panic mode, in a knee-jerk reaction to terrorism events, that were foreshadowed many years before.

If the politicians had listened to the intelligence experts and been proactive, all it would've taken to nullify aviation terrorism attacks, was some improved background checks on immigrants and on people applying for pilots licences - and some improved passenger screening. Hijacking was virtually eliminated without the need for an ASIC card.

But instead, we got the extreme knee-jerk reaction, even though we know what the threat is today, and who to target, prior to anything disastrous happening on the terrorism front.

But the ongoing problem is, there is no mechanism in the legislation to examine the cost/security benefits of running this now-obsolete system - nor is there any mechanism to wind it down according to current threat level.

It will continue to be a bureacrats lifelong occupation to ensure this system stays in place, to make sure their department has ongoing secure employment, with all the public service top salaries and perks, forever.

Edited by onetrack

We are all in "furioso" agreement.

It seems to me that the logical/formal avenues of complaint have been exhausted, we are left with the practical approach - Australians are not going to march but we can withhold payment - if we all (most) just grit our teeth and not apply for an ASIC (unless entering a major port) the bean counters will soon conclude, that maintaining the system is no longer cost effective and the whole thing will be quietly shelved (that is my hope anyway).

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Arron25 said:

The ASIC card and similar cards, like the Childcare BlueCard ( insider knowledge), were solely designed as a revenue device for the appropriate departments, with scant regard for their advertised purpose.

As their primary roll of revenue, they have been , of course, spectacularly successful..

Normally anything with 'safety' tagged to it is there for perpetuity...regardless of demonstrated ineffectiveness

But we have seen a small gleam of resolve, when the expensive and completely unnecessary passenger scanning was removed from the regional airports...

We could live in hope that there will be a flow on, but I really can't hold my breath for that long

My Wife is a School Teacher and she is INVITED each year to renew her Blue Card. She is reminded that she cannot work without it and if she did she would face fines and or imprisonment. Oh and yes she must let them know if she has been naughty and shouldn't have the card.

There would be over 200 staff at her school.

Edited by Cosmick
extra comment

2 hours ago, Cosmick said:

My Wife is a School Teacher and she is INVITED each year to renew her Blue Card. She is reminded that she cannot work without it and if she did she would face fines and or imprisonment. Oh and yes she must let them know if she has been naughty and shouldn't have the card.

There would be over 200 staff at her school.

Just had a very quick/brief look - would I be correct in saying,  that having a Blue Card means that you have not been convicted of a child related sexual offence. in other words it is not a system that attempts to prevent child sexual abuse in the first instance, rather one that try's to prevents further abuse from occurring, after the fact ?

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1